General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Director Takes £11m From Football Club

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by TheBlackpoolCopywriter, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    Business exists by denying the population direct access to the goods and services they need or want.

So the money came from his friends and neighbours.?;)

Earl

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  2. internetspaceships

internetspaceships Banned Full Member

6,981 2,329

Earl, seriously I'm completely befuddled by your comments and attitude lately.

You're on a forum for business owners and now you're slagging off the fundamentals of business.

What's happened to you?

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  3. sirearl

29,807 6,645
    So what did you expect from a humanitarian.?:eek:

A fluffy bunny.:)

I don't remember slagging business off ,showing how it works is hardly that.:|

Earl

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  4. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    Atheist - can't really count them as a religion can you.

Apparently from another link almost half the population watched some part of the Word cup 2010, admittedly more than I would have thought, however the majority did not watch it, just like I said.

And going with your logic (oxymoron I know) if you take away all the wives, girlfriends and children that were forced to watch the world cup with dad the figure is wrong and just four people actually watched it :p

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: Banned Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  5. Montaigne

Montaigne UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,061 312
    I think you're demonstrating that you don't understand business at all if you believe that business denies the general public direct access to the goods and services they need or want.

Even if you lived in a marxist utopia nothing would be free. Everything still has a price attached to it and that price is the amount of labour that it takes to bring a service or a product to market.

People wouldn't give everything away for free to one another as different products and services take different levels of labour and so they would barter the various different services to find a natural balance between all the different types of services. This is called trade (or business).

I'm a liberal humanist and believe in capitalism as the best way forwards for humanity. Humanitarianism and business are not mutually exclusive.

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: Montaigne Member since: Jul 9, 2011
  6. internetspaceships

6,981 2,329
    I have to agree with Monty!

Oh noes - I must go and scrub every inch of my defiled body....

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  7. Montaigne

1,061 312
    Use some soap that you will have purchased from an expert who knows how to make soap as opposed to a world with no businesses producing soap where you'd have to wash in a nearby stream :)

8. TheBlackpoolCopywriter

TheBlackpoolCopywriter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 3
    Majority from Premier League prize money. Blackpool fans are angry because none of this has been re-invested back into the football club. Instead, it has been used for personal gain, this after many many broken promises from the Oyston family regarding new players, new training ground and finished stadium amongst much more.

Another example of the Oyston's personal greed is purchasing land opposite the stadium (from the football club) for 650k, then selling it back to the football club for £6.5m.

In my opinion a football club is the heart of the community. When it is succesful, it is a common presumption that some of the windfall from being so is kept within the football club to build towards the future. Not at Blackpool FC.

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: TheBlackpoolCopywriter Member since: Mar 5, 2012
  9. Montaigne

1,061 312
    Well, this is where you're going wrong. By making common presumptions about something that has absolutely nothing to do with you. I don't mean that aggressively; I mean that it is not your business so why would you assume you have a say in how it is run?

If the fans don't like the way things are being done then do what any consumer would do and vote with your feet. En masse don't support the club and force the owners' hand i.e. they do things differently or have a bankrupt business.

I think that this was the wrong place to post such a thread i.e. on a business forum full of business owners :)

10. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Have a look under Owen Oyston on Wikipedia. Also note that the Sunday Times rich list has him entered jointly with his son..hard to differentiate who's money is who's but I might hazard that Owen Oyston is a pretty comprimised individual, possibly...

Interesting thread, I must be missing something about this fellow

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  11. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Full of business owners M ? My copy is full of people painting by numbers...:)

12. internetspaceships

6,981 2,329
    *waves*

Back on topic, regardless of the type of bloke he is. He put the money up to run the club didn't he?

That said the rewards are his to do with as he chooses.

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  13. Montaigne

1,061 312
    Agreed. If he's running the business legally and he is withdrawing funds legally I don't see the issue regardless of his moral outlook?

14. sirearl

29,807 6,645
    Maybe you would like to tell me what a humanist is?

Earl

Posted: Mar 7, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  15. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Each to his own guys ! Or in the case of Oyston Snr each to his Owen.

On this one I would have to vote NIMBY and not at my footie club.

Much more acceptable to have our very own phoney pharoah and his Michael Jackson statue !:)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  16. Montaigne

1,061 312
    Whether he takes 11 million or doesn't take 11 million from his own business is not a question of ethics or morality if he does so legally.

17. DJs-Only

DJs-Only UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 5
    As a Blackburn fan I have to sympathize with Blackpool fans for 1 reason - probably not even half of that £11m would have kept you in the Prem. Goal difference by 2 or something wasn't it that sent you down?

Think yourselves lucky though. With our non-interested, lying though their back-teeth, never seen in months owners hiding in India though I would have to say seeing an owner taking money out and be open about it is alot easier to take that those who won't come clean about their intentions. Our owners have just sold every player worth anything/let every high earner eave for free off the wage bill, employed a under-eperienced manager on pittance, sacked/forced out all the board... and pretty much destroyed the entire Jack Walker legacy in 18 months. Bought the club seriously undervalued, sold all the assets, and sending the club into oblivion.

£23m for the club + £20m debt recouped via;

Phil Jones to Man U £16.5m rising to £20m on England appearances
    Chris Samba to Anzhi £12m
    Nikola Kalanic £6.5m
    Emerton, Nelsen, Salgado, Roberts, Grella, El Hadji Diouf (all on high wages released of contract or told to find new clubs)

Purchases;
    Dann £7m
    Formica £3.5m
    Petrovic £2m
    Slew £1.5m
    Yakubu £1.5m
    Goodwillie £3.5m
    Vukcevic £3m
    Rochina £1.5m (actual cost of player £400k, agent fee's over £900k!!)

£38.5m income, £21.5m out - £15m per year shaved off the wage bill in players - Chairman, Deputy, Finance, Marketing all left and not replaced since Feb last year (god knows much many more saved there) - plus we had 3 loan players last season of Roque Santa Cruz (£100k a week), Jermaine Jones from Schalke, and Mame Biram Diouf from United (another £5m shaved off).

Yet we managed to post an £18m... yes eighteen-million pound loss?? Yet the figures show what was paid for the club and debt taken on, has been repaid more than enough and the new wage bill is significantly lower.

Unreal. Top 10 to bottum 3 in 6-12 months - courtesy of Venkys India and Steve Kean. How not to run a football club.

Word on the street is a fire sale in summer too of the remiaing top players - Paul Robinson, N'Zonzi, Hoilet (won't resign so will leave for nothing), Gael Givet, Formica and Yakubu.

What gets the fans up some much especially for smaller towns like Blackburn etc is that their football is usually the only thing to be proud of in the town - and sliding down the league's will have a huge effect on the town too.

What I'm trying to get at though is they may be legally allowed to take what they want, but the question is why buy a football club to make money unless you are going to do it the right way - via hard work and getting up the league's and winning trophies. Not getting promotion, then relegated for parachute payments and banking it.. or asset-stripping etc etc... that's just a mugs business and any idiot with a few quid to invest can work out how to do that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: DJs-Only Member since: Feb 16, 2012
  18. DJs-Only

DJs-Only UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 5
    Personally I think owners should be benefactors or ethical in the way they run their clubs. In Blackburns case we where posting approx £5m a year losses - that 1 higher off the wage bill and Venkys (assuming they just want the publicity) would still get their free advertising. Instead they are robbing the fans of their little ticket money and decimating a 137yr founder member of the Football League and 1 of only 4 clubs to win the Prem. Promises of investment and a return to the good days has been followed by selling everyone possible and doing the total opposite of what they promised.

Commenting on the Offer, Anuradha J Desai, the Chairperson of Venky's, said:
    "We are very proud to be associated with Blackburn Rovers, a team with whom we share many values
    and ambitions. Going forward we plan to focus on leveraging the global influence in establishing
    Blackburn Rovers as a truly global brand. We will absolutely respect the Jack Walker legacy and will be
    actively supporting the organisation to ensure that Blackburn Rovers remains one of the best run clubs
    within the Premier League. We are particularly pleased that the deal has full support of the Walker
    Trustees, the Chairman and the management team who will of course remain in place with our full

The Venky's Board has given assurances to BRFCI that Venky's:
    (a) will commit funds on a consistent and systematic basis to future transfer and/or loan activity;
    (b) intends to continue to support the existing management team and staff, and that it is committed to
    the future development of, and investment in, the Club's academy and youth infrastructure;
    (c) will continue to support, promote and extend the Club's local community and CSR activities (VH
    and its subsidiaries have their own trust engaged in significant charitable work);
    (d) will seek to extend the Blackburn Rovers name and brand into India, the rest of south-east Asia
    and beyond;
    (e) will seek to develop and improve commercial performance across sponsorship, the Club's kit deal
    and general merchandising activity;
    (f) will seek to enhance the fan experience at Ewood Park itself on match days (and non match
    days) and to maximise season ticket sales and any remaining match day ticket sales; and
    (g) intends to improve the Club's media platforms (for example the Club's TV channel) and to
    become more active in the social media space).
    In line with this, pursuant to the terms of the Share Purchase Agreement, Venky's also has entered into
    the following contractual commitments with BRFCI and the Club:
    (a) the principal activity of Blackburn Rovers will continue at all times to be that of a professional
    football club;
    (b) the current President, Vice Presidents and Honorary Vice Presidents of Blackburn Rovers will not
    be removed from those positions before June 2011 without the prior written consent of those
    individuals;
    (c) the statue of Jack Walker outside Ewood Park will be kept in a good state of repair and will not be
    moved to a different location, obscured or have its prominence diluted without BRFCI's prior
    written consent; and
    (d) the name of the stand at Ewood Park currently known as the Jack Walker Stand will not be
    changed without BRFCI's prior written consent.
    support."

100% lies - and that's why fans get their backs up and who can blame them?

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: DJs-Only Member since: Feb 16, 2012
  19. Montaigne

1,061 312
    Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying I agree with these tactics. Football is a large part of peoples' lives and a significant part of a town's cultural heritage (even though football doesn't interest me at all) so they should be run as successful businesses with the aim of winning as much as possible. All I'm saying is that from a legal perspective Mr Owen is not doing anything wrong so he shouldn't be prevented from taking out 11 million if he wants to do so.

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: Montaigne Member since: Jul 9, 2011
  20. Psl

Psl UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 619

I totally agree with you. Did the OP expect us all to slag Oysten off - for running his business and making money?

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: Psl Member since: May 4, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.