Desktop icons gone

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by tony84, Sep 7, 2020.

1. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,790 1,065
    I am on windows 10.

I had a few things saved to my desktop - shortcuts to programmes, photos, documents and a folder which had a load of documents in, I could really do with locating.

I have tried locating the folder by going into c/users/my name nothing there, I have tried opening documents from that folder which I had recently opened in word and it cant find the document.

Any ideas?

Strangely though, not everything on my desktop has gone - my shortcut to football manager for example has gone, but my shortcut to my steam account is still there.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  2. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,209 263
    Have you recently performed a windows update? the latest major update has some similar strange issues on some systems.

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  3. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

320 80
    Assuming you've done the obvious - turned it off an on again, then you have a few options. The simplest is probably to go back to a restore point when it last worked, essentially rolling back the updates/OS to before you had the problem.

There is MS guide and various other options depending on different scenarios here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Posted: Sep 7, 2020 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  4. JezDonnel

JezDonnel UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 1
    I have this issue at almost every update. I use restore points and after that it installs fine but the first try is always a mess and my files are gone.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 By: JezDonnel Member since: Jun 30, 2020
  5. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

940 251
    Perhaps this is a Bonus Feature, just like the 'Windows Blue Screen of Death?'

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  6. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,410 333
    Seriously Windows users, you live with stuff like that?

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,790 1,065
    I dont have a restore point I am aware of.
    I have not downloaded any updates for about a month. :/

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  8. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,354 253
    No. Just file things away properly and don't leave them on the desktop. Shortcuts belong in the task bar. They are also very easy to reproduce. Having said all that I've never lost anything following a Windows 10 update.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  9. johndon68

johndon68 UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,437 630
    No but then the only icon I have on my Desktop is the Recycle Bin...

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: johndon68 Member since: Nov 2, 2009
  10. gpietersz

1,410 333
    @ffox the second part of your answer is what I was asking about, assuming it means anything anywhere in the system rather than just the desktop.

My question was not "do you live with the desktop icons going missing" but "do you live with random things going wrong after updates".

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  11. ffox

1,354 253
    Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 all run auto updates with similar methodology to the updates on Android and I0S. An old system snapshot is taken before the update starts and roll back on error is usually automatic without the need for user involvement. A failed update will normally restore the original system and report an update failure.

The only circumstance where software and settings may be lost is where the user opts to do a factory reset. This usually has the sub option of retaining current software and settings if the user wishes.

Factory reset is usually reserved for occasions when machine performance is seriously degraded, when the machine is passing to a new user or when a machine is being sold on.

I've never seen loss of software following an update. Likewise I've never seen loss of shortcuts, but then, I don't use shortcuts as they are largely unnecessary. The Windows 10 Search will locate any item of software on a machine by entry of a few characters in the search box, far better than a visual search through an unordered mass of mixed icons on a desktop.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  12. gpietersz

1,410 333
    @ffox, thanks for the reply. Loss of data or settings other than a deliberate actions such as a factory reset is what I wanted to know about.

Then what do you do?

I still like having frequently used software 1) available visually with a mouse click and 2) always in the same position for fast switching.

13. ffox

1,354 253
    In most circumstances the update will run again at a later date. If there is an underlying issue such as lack of space on the machine, or a failed Internet connection, this will have to be fixed before it will succeed.

The place for software quick launch is in the taskbar or sys tray. Stuff scattered across a desktop doesn't lend itself to fast switching. First you have to launch the desktop, then find the right icon, then double click.
    In the task bar it is always visible and just needs a single click.

14. gpietersz

1,410 333
    Sorry, I was unclear. I meant always visible icons as opposed to search - I think the Windows equivalent is a taskbar icon but have not used it for too long to remember (or be up to date with current UI).

15. ffox

1,354 253
    To access any desktop icon for a shortcut launch you must first see the desktop.

Win 10 will launch software from the task bar just by entering the first few characters of the software name in the search box. So much faster than looking at an old fashioned desktop

16. gpietersz

1,410 333
    I think we are talking at cross purposes. I am not talking about desktop icons.

17. ffox

1,354 253
    The OP was discussing desktop icons - if you mean icons representing Software in menu lists - I have never known them to be lost

18. gpietersz

1,410 333
    No, I think, in Windows terms, I am talking about the equivalent of taskbar icons.

I meant I prefer to have a bunch of them rather than use search for the most commonly used applications - but that is in the context of a KDE icon bar which also lets you switch to the application by clicking on the same icon you used to start it - MacOS does the same, I do not know whether Windows does.

Its not really important or relevant, but this screenshot might clarify: https://ibb.co/q9f2Xj9 if you are interested. The icons at the top right are pinned and a click will always start of switch. The ones further down other currently running applications.

All I really wanted to know was how common problems on updates were. The rest is an aside.

19. ffox

1,354 253
    Your screenshot shows the equivalent of the Windows Task Bar. In Win 10 this can be moved to the top of the screen, to the bottom or, as in your screenshot, to the right.

Shortcuts can be placed in the task bar and the task bar will also display icons for each software item running. A shortcut icon will display with no underline, whereas a running item icon will be underlined. A second instance of software running will show in the task bar with one instance slightly behind the first instance. You can tell at a glance what is running on the machine, you can launch software with a single click.

If you hover the mouse over an icon showing multi instances it will display pre-images of each instance and allow selection of the one you want. A single click on a running instance icon will bring focus to the most recently used instance.

Windows 10 also has a Task View icon in the task bar that launches a screen which shows each running instance as a tile and allows for the selection of the one wanted by the user (Alt/Tab fulfils a similar function, but in a slightly different way).

Software and their associated icons are installed into Windows under registry control and persist following updates.

The OP is concerned with loss of desktop items and not loss of software.

Shortcuts per se are largely unnecessary in Windows 10 as running instances of any software are automatically displayed in the task bar and instant focus on the app the user wants is just a single click.
    Software not running can be launched by simply entering the first characters of the application name in the search box on the task bar. This has some AI self learning elements, so, on my machine, entering 'rem' will allow me to select and launch Remote Desktop Connection as this is my most used application with a name starting 'rem'. Similarly, typing 'w' will allow for the selection and launch of Word.

There is little need of shortcuts of any description.

20. gpietersz

1,410 333
    @ffox so Windows is a lot more similar to KDE (which is what the screenshot is off, albeit configured to suit me - the default looks a lot more like WIndows) than it was when I used to use it

Running instances of software are shown in the taskbar equivalent with the setup in my screenshot, but I like pinning this I use regularly - for example, Firefox is always the fourth one down, even if its not running. I used to hate the idea and never tried it, but once I tried it for a while, I liked it.

The search also works much the same.

Yes, I am OT regards the OP's question. I think you have given me very thorough answers to mine, thanks.