Deleting defunc products

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Clodbuster, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Clodbuster

Clodbuster UKBF Ace Free Member

1,005 199
    Morning,
    Due to Brexit I've had to cut a large number of products out. They are currently still in my website but no longer viewable to visitors and hence still in my Index.
    Firstly - will leaving them there affect my SE position ( I must say I have disappeared off the face of the earth so I think it does)
    Secondly, if I delete them I assume they will be removed from my Index but will show as 404 until the Index is read. Can I re-submit the index without the products on?
    Thanks

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 By: Clodbuster Member since: Apr 24, 2008
  2. makeusvisible

makeusvisible UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,144 270
    So if the products are defunct, and not coming back into stock you should leave them off your website, let them 404 and google will de-index them. Obviously, this means if the product page was ranking for certain keywords, it will slowly de-rank and eventually be removed from those results. Your sitemaps should also reflect this.

If however, you have an alternative product, which is relevant, then you should 301 redirect from the old product page to the alternative. This will ensure users clicking search results are redirected and will encourage google to rank the alternative page. No guarantee that your rank will be maintained, but its the best fit solution.

Just to mention, only do a 301 if you have a highly relevant alternative.... it would be counterproductive to 301 to an alternative but not relevant product.

hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 By: makeusvisible Member since: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Clodbuster

1,005 199
    Thank you. Confirmed what I was thinking.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 By: Clodbuster Member since: Apr 24, 2008
  4. SEO Lady

SEO Lady SEO Freelance Consultant. Domain migration expert. Full Member - Verified Business

2,098 389
    Just to add to this, I've recently taken on an antiques dealer client and when they sold a product (they are mostly unique of course) they deleted the page and redirected to the homepage.

Looking at their competitors there was one fella who created a section of his website called SOLD so the product pages remained live but you couldn't buy them.
    Therefore the number of pages is always growing on his website whereby my client was actively reducing content

Would this be applicable to your non-brexit items with the SEO benefits it may bring?

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 By: SEO Lady Member since: Aug 28, 2009
  5. SEO Lady

SEO Lady SEO Freelance Consultant. Domain migration expert. Full Member - Verified Business

2,098 389
    I've just seen this COVID Gov business grant link online, obviously I have no idea whether this will be applicable or not @Clodbuster

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 By: SEO Lady Member since: Aug 28, 2009
  6. Clodbuster

1,005 199
    Thanks, I did think of that but the website looked quite scabby with a host of "Out of stock" notations everywhere. The range no longer available was not important and were not part of my core business. I've deleted the lot now. See what happens. Essentially I am fine with sales up a third on average this year so I'm OK.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 By: Clodbuster Member since: Apr 24, 2008