Dealing with online Fraud

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by Parrot Hosting, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrot Hosting

Parrot Hosting UKBF Enthusiast

441 87
    I'm interested in how or what products people use to minimise fraud risk on on line transactions.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend

8,078 1,702
    Third Man and my instinct based on experience.

I won't list them here because I don't want fraudsters to see it, but they do follow a pattern which is very easy to spot when you have had a few. Quite often they give it away just from the contents of their basket alone without the other 6 things.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  3. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    True, I'm not keen to keen to give away my 'tells' either.:rolleyes:

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  4. RBS

RBS UKBF Legend

2,616 325
    Deniser,

you can PM your list to him :)

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend

8,078 1,702
    I'm not sure that he wants it. Isn't he more interested in the commercial systems such as 3rd Man?

Happy to PM list.

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  6. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    Yes, I'm really interested in whether online retailers use a 3rd party application or facility to check their online transactions, or if they just rely on gut instinct.

I have maxmind on one of my billing platforms but, as most of my clients tend to call me to discuss their needs I get a very low fraud (non existent) attempt rate.

However, with the upswing in domain registrations I am considering automating the domain purchases, but have been advised that this is an area of concentration of card fraud although I really cannot see it being a worthwhile exercise and will be happily corrected if someone knows different.

So, I think its an important subject that doesn't really get discussed (until after the event, normally).

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  7. Mustaka

Mustaka UKBF Big Shot

332 161
    If your saying why would a fraudster register a domain with fraudulent card details the answer is botnet owners, fake bank sites, malware site etc etc. These are often short lived so by the time the fraud is detected and charged back the site is most likely to have been deaded already.

Posted: Jun 23, 2011 By: Mustaka Member since: Feb 3, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.