Daily blocked email report Cpanel

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by UKSBD, Jan 15, 2021.

1. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    I have different domains on different hosts mainly using cPanel

With one of my email accounts (on 1 host) I receive a daily email titled "Daily Blocked email report for *****" which lists emails that have been blocked and gives an option of what to do with them.

None of my other emails with other hosts do this.

It's quite a useful option, is there a setting in cPanel that switches this on or has the one host got a separate plugin set up?

It appears to be something called ASSP SPAM Filter.
    Is that something you can switch on or off by default in cPanel or is it something that my host has added for me?

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. nahosting

nahosting UKBF Enthusiast

252 62
    ASSP is a very good open source spam proxy and we use it on our email servers too.

You can plug it into cpanel or many other control panels to allow users to personalise its settings for their email accounts.

It would be set up by your web host.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: nahosting Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  3. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    Thanks,

Wow, I didn't realise just how bad these spam filters can be :-(

I've just logged in to one of my other hosts, checked my webmail, and there are at least 10 emails just today that are in my spam folder and which I never received to my main email client.

Dread to think how many emails I am missing on a daily basis that I should be getting.

I need to find out how to adjust the spam filter now, I would rather receive 100 spam messages a day than have a system not even show me them, when a percentage of them might be important.

4. nahosting

nahosting UKBF Enthusiast

252 62
    And that is the fine balancing act of spam filtering!

We chose to mark spam and send it through for the client to filter or allow them to set up a rule to send those ones to a spam folder. As you say one false positive can be undesirable.

All the best with your filtering.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: nahosting Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  5. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    I think I've found the setting

The other host uses Apache SpamAssassin

Process New Emails and Mark them as Spam: was checked with a score of 5

Move New Spam to a Separate Folder (Spam Box): was also checked, I assumed this moved them to a separate folder but still sent them to me, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I've now set the spam score to 8 and switched off the spam box

I must have been missing literally dozens of emails a day that are marked as spam, but aren't :-(

I can see them in webmail, but I rarely login there.

I've got to check though my spam folder in webmail now to see how many important emails I've missed over the past few months :-(

6. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    It's worse than I thought

just checked spam folder in webmail
    out of the 1st 50 displayed in my spam folder containing over 3000 unread massages 16 of them weren't really spam.

Got to go and check other accounts now and see if they are using the same settings

7. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor

77 16
    Really depends what your host has set you up with. I've had cheap hosts set have terrible spam protection. Even namecheap that has spam experts is quite frankly, pretty bad. I've had good experience with Spam titan. Anti spam is pretty hit or miss to be honest

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020