Credit card machine and PCI Compliance

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Richard Goulden, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Richard Goulden

Richard Goulden UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi.

I have owned a mobile credit card terminal for six years now and it still works well. I have to buy a new battery for it every few years and feed it with a new paper roll every now and again but that's about it.

99.5% of all transactions are made over the phone.

The problem is that the company who supplied the machine are now telling me that it is no longer PCI compliant and that I need to buy a new one for around £500. I asked them why it is no longer compliant and they are unable to answer the question apart from telling me I could be fined heavily if I continue to use the machine.

I then called Worldpay and asked them the same question and again they can’t answer the question.

Can anybody on here answer my question please?

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Tim Ford

Tim Ford UKBF Contributor Full Member

Well unless they can tell you why, i wouldn't buy one. Speak to your merchant account and see what they say.

Is your terminal using the internet to communicate or a dial up connection to the processor?

Tim.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Tim Ford Member since: Sep 26, 2017
  3. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

@Richard Goulden - The acquirer that provides your merchant facility/terminal should be able to tell you why the machine is no longer compliant. Do you pay any PCI management fees currently and do you have a current PCI compliance certificate? Have you looked online for any comments regarding the particular make/model of terminal?

If 99.5% of the transactions are 'over the phone' why not consider switching to a PCI compliant Virtual Terminal ?

Simon

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  4. Richard Goulden

Yes I have PCI compliance for the next few weeks. I spoke to my acquirer who was unable to help me. Finally got through to somebody at Worldpay who had more of an idea than anybody else before and finally called the technical desk at 123 send and found somebody who knows a lot more.

A techy at 123 send pointed me to a list of terminals that became non-compliant on the 31st December 2017. Shame he didn't speak to the sales staff...

It's all to do with security and as far as I can see rule of thumb is this - if the terminal doesn’t have a contactless option to pay, it's probably no longer compliant or it will be soon.

There are many solutions out there but a card terminal suits my business far more. I take fairly big payments for bookings, sometimes two years away and then the balance a couple of days before the job. Almost always over the phone but once in a while we will cover an expo or an event where somebody will hand me a credit card.

Recently I have been taking more and more payments via electronic transfer and it saves quite a bit every month but some clients need to pay on a card.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  5. TotalWebSolutions

Glad you managed to get an explanation. Are you still looking to buy a terminal rather than rent one? If you choose the latter then surely they would replace in the event of becoming non-compliant, broken etc.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  6. Richard Goulden

If you rent they do replace. My last machine lasted 8 or 9 years and it ceased to be compliant at the end of 2017. The model they are pushing now ceases to be compliant in mid 2020 so they are want over £500 for just over two years of use then I will need to buy another.

I have found the same model new on Ebay for £64 and I can return it if it's a problem. I am going to try it out. Renting for me is simply a way for the renter to make more money. The same reason I always buy my mobile phones outright and get a very good and very reasonably priced sim deal.

It's been a mixed blessing finding out about this. When I realised that Worldpay had started charging a percentage rather than the 20 pence fee on debit cards a few months back I started pushing my clients towards electronic transfer that costs me nothing. In the last four or five weeks only one has said they need to pay on a card. I do need card facilities though.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  7. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

By the sound of it no only is your terminal no longer PCI compliant, but the nature of your business is high risk - 'big bookings two years in advance' will make alarm bells ring. Maybe your supplier is taking this opportunity to raise these concerns.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  8. Richard Goulden

We have been doing it for ten years without issue and bookings two years in advance are rare. The majority are one month all the way through to a year away.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  9. TotalWebSolutions

Buying a terminal off eBay is not advisable as it won't have been scanned/checked by your acquirer and therefore cannot be g'teed as safe to use (or to receive the firmware/security updates needed). I would speak to WorldPay regarding this before making a decision (unless already done so).

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  10. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

World pay do long term hire. At about 27 a month with a two year contract

Plus a virtual terminal option art nine a month

Have you also looked at world pay zinc a pay as you g o option

Paypal also do vt and PayPal now

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  11. Richard Goulden

Thanks for the information. I haven't looked yet but I will.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  12. Richard Goulden

Many thanks for this info. It was enough to point me towards a Virtual Terminal with Worldpay for a tenner a month. The big advantage is they are simply changing my old account with my old rates to the VT. Very handy. I was only paying 1.6% on credit cards and a very, very low fee on debits.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  13. TotalWebSolutions

I'm sure I mentioned switching to a VT as making more sense and you said it wasn't for you ;)

Have WP g'teed your existing rates against the planned April 2018 scheme fees (Visa and MasterCard) increase?

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  14. Richard Goulden

I'd never fully explored VTs tbh. In the end my old mobile terminal was perfect for me as I could use it anywhere including abroad as long as it had a phone signal.

A VT is totally reliant on the Internet and without it won't do the job. As I work over the most of the UK the mobile terminal was probably a little bit more versatile. But not by much.

I've signed a two year contract with WP so I hope so.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: Richard Goulden Member since: Jan 30, 2018