Couriers sending to EU - delivery delays?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Businessowner233, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Businessowner233

Businessowner233 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,

We are using Parcelforce/GLS for deliveries to the EU and getting horrendous delays on export, up to a month. Is anyone having a better experience with other couriers?

We are sending to multiple destination countries, and every one seems to be having problems. Pallets however are going through fairly smoothly.

Cheers,
    David

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Businessowner233 Member since: Dec 13, 2020
  2. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,565 1,992
    I think the delays are across the board you wont get any better performances from other companies

We did warn about this happening

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  3. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,096 983
    These border delays are nothing to do with the courier companies.

The UK voted to have borders where previously there was free trade.

Until all involved have fine tuned their new systems there will be delays. Maybe there will always be delays.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  4. JEREMY HAWKE

5,565 1,992
    Dont matter Paul :)

No matter what goes wrong or whos fault it is
    Blame the courier

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  5. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,096 983
    Alas, yes.

Customers never give wrong addresses.
    Borders never have customs staff
    Customers never go out when they know a parcel is due.

Always, the couriers. Always.

As an anecdote, and therefore of little value, I would say the number of times a courier (or parcel delivery service) have really stuffed up my deliveries from any of my ecommerce businesses is tiny. Really tiny.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  6. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,846 289
    Not just to the EU. Even before the snow hit, UPS deliveries to the US were affected.

UPS within the UK are affected.

Brexit, rise in e-commerce due to various lockdowns, staff shortages due to covid, ...

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  7. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,846 289
    Yes, if it's Hermes :)

They are the only company I have ever had issues (plural) with.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  8. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 6
    Hi David, We live in Spain and just had delivery from U.K. that took a week to get here, we were called by customs, paid the fee and it was delivered next day.

This was DHL and I would advise against using DPD Seur they are worst ever here. GLS tend to be good in mainland Europe they are not so good if there is any sea trip involved.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  9. JEREMY HAWKE

5,565 1,992
    This also be dependent on the sender doing the paperwork correctly . There are so many variables at the moment that again it is too easy to point the finger at operators in the industry

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  10. scstock

scstock UKBF Regular Free Member

135 26
    Main problem we are having is EU business customers not paying the Import VAT & handling charge when requested by the courier so leaving parcels in limbo and ultimately being returned to us. They know and have accepted the situation but it seems nobody at their end actually actions the payment.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: scstock Member since: Mar 27, 2009
  11. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 7
    Is there any particular mistakes that you're seeing that cause a delay in the processing?

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
  12. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 6
    Well I can certainly blame SEUR, and many others do to.
    This is what happened to us. SEUR emailed us that they had parcel from our UK Supplier but a payment was required. Went onto website to pay fees but it did not work, would not accept our VAT number. Our local postal shop tried ringing the SUER delivery guy to say we will pay on arrival but he said he could not do anything. Rang SEUR customer service and even speaking Spanish was a waste of time.

As said in previous post DHL seems to be set up right. Even had problems with UPS.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  13. 2JP

2JP UKBF Contributor Free Member

92 7
    FedEx has recently gone downhill for us, and we have sent nothing to EU this year. We send small high value packages internationally. Historically, FedEx have been mostly satisfactory. In comparison with most of the service industry these days, that would make them, historically, exceptional.

Prices have increased, unexplained delays have increased, poor customer service has increased. Tracking is not working this morning and it is not the first time. Last year they appeared to us to be coping ok with COVID so I do not know how or what has dramatically affected non-EU air freight now. I assume the number of passenger flights is down on last year (is it?) and so small packet air freight can't get a plane to travel on. I guess they have had to move more UK staff from actual package movement to handling customs enquiries because of Brexit. And I guess that there are many staff absent due to COVID, and are employing more incompetent temps. I also suspect, and this might be the biggest reason, they are getting a lot more business thrown at them because the cheaper freight carriers are coping even worse.

We have no recent experience of other couriers but FedEx acts like a black box out of which specific information is rarely obtainable. UK FedEx customer service seem to have their computers down or slow a lot of the time we ring them, and other times they cannot obtain information on the problem and just say they will leave a note on the FedEx system in the country of delivery asking for an update.

Recent online user interface changes have only caused 'change disruption' (no advantages) for us and simply make it harder to store permanent copies of history, etc. They recently implemented a 'simpler' shipping option. It just looks like a recipe for disaster to us as there is no such thing as a 'simple' international shipment.

Automated emails alerting us to a delay used to contain more information. Now you have to login to a system that sometimes is not working to attempt to find out the problem. Then you usually have to ring them. Our two most recent shipments to US this month were 'delayed' with the claim that the commercial invoice was incomplete. The commercial invoice used was the FedEx generated commercial invoice. Upon ringing, we find out that they need the EIN of the recipient. We tell them it is already on the commercial invoice, entered where the online FedEx form asked specifically for SSN/EIN/etc. This was after using electronic data transfer! Either a number of their staff are incompetent, parts of their systems are incompatible with each other or they are intentionally creating excuses for delays, or a bit of all.

Their automated instant reply to customer service emails states that they aim to resolve within 10days. We emailed customer service recently disputing a January invoice where we had been charged for 7 times the actual weight of a FedEx Priority package to Australia, which was delivered over 20 days after dispatch and only after we and the recipient had to call numerous times asking them to find out where the package was (obviously, they had screwed up in some way I cannot fathom). Over a month after sending our weight dispute email, we received an email stating they had investigated, and stated that it was within their terms to be able to weigh packages to check declared weight and that they trusted the matter to now be concluded. They utterly failed to address our dispute. The packet weighed 0.5kg as declared, and they claimed 3.4kg. The dispute continues.

I would say the service is well below normal par at the moment and, in a word, poor. I just hope they can get a grip soon.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: 2JP Member since: Dec 10, 2017
  14. scstock

scstock UKBF Regular Free Member

135 26
    Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: scstock Member since: Mar 27, 2009
  15. 2JP

92 7
    I didn't mean on the whole year. I meant, globally, are January 2021 flights down compared to Oct, Nov or Dec 2020? Thanks for the link. The answer is not significantly. The point I was making is that ALL of last year, FedEx appeared to be coping. This year so far, we have experienced a significantly higher number of delays than usual with non-EU trade.

16. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,749 716
    Fedex operate their own flights.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  17. 2JP

92 7
    Are you sure no airfreight goes on a non-FedEx vehicle?

18. japancool

3,749 716
    Given that Fedex have suspended international economy, that would seem to be the case at the moment.

19. 2JP

92 7
    When did that happen?

20. japancool

3,749 716
    We haven't been able to get shipments in via International Economy since at least the middle of last year, only via International Priority.