Costs of Exporting Goods from UK to Eu?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by apricot, Jan 14, 2021.

1. apricot

apricot UKBF Regular Free Member

378 37
    Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the costs of sending goods to EU and I am lost. Any one has any idea?
    So far, I understand there is ( for goods ovee £150)
    - Customs fee
    - Brexit Surcharge
    - Delivery Fee
    - Vat
    anything else?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: apricot Member since: Apr 7, 2012
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    Time and paperwork.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. apricot

apricot UKBF Regular Free Member

378 37
    LoL

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: apricot Member since: Apr 7, 2012
  4. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

346 52
    Assuming this is a pallet but I think this whole matter is talked in very different terms. For example b2c sounds like a different process than b2b and by pallet is definitely different to parcel.

The b2b by parcel seems a lot less hassle and seeing all the docs required by a freight co. For a pallet just stunned me and I have pushed pallet loads to parcels for the moment.

If DPD are having problems then these freight companies are clearly over charging based on this unclear situation at present. Understandible but very annoying.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  5. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,399 1,925
    They not over charging they are charging an acceptable rate for the work involved furthermore I am fed up (its only day 15) with companies complaining about being charged £50 an hour for waiting time.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  6. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,972 937

I actually agree.

And more. The UK decided, 4 years ago, to not be part of the EU. Whatever the detail of that intention was, that meant being outside all the border arrangements that exist within the EU.

That, to anyone, would mean some additional costs in logistics. There is no way anyone believed that would not be the case. But that was the pay off that was chosen. The benefits of being free from the EU have been delivered, fully by Boris, but there are some downsides. Of course there are. And here is one of them. It is not reasonable to expect carriers to operate at a loss, so their customers will have to expect higher changes.

For those of us who didn't vote for this, we have had 4 years to campaign against it - in a democracy you are allowed to do that. However, there was no effective up swell of organised objection, and the Leaving arrangements have happened. Now, it seems, we are going to have years of people being 'surprised' at the changes it will bring.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  7. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

12,044 2,510
    is the paperwork really that bad or time consuming, I would think that once things settle down say end of march, many companies will be producing the software to make exporting little more than typing in the products and hitting enter

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  8. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,972 937

As with all things, it will settle down in time. Software is already available to do some of the chores, and the additional costs - which are real - will be absorbed into what people expect to pay. Some markets will reduce, because of that. Others may potentially open up. The UK will stop trying to replicate the EU, but with tariffs and forms, and crack on with not being part of the EU

I think the last minute nature of the deal is the problem - although deals like this are always last minute.

The impact of a significant change in the economic relationship between 27 nations and 1 nation will take time to filter through, and by the time they do a 100 other bits of stuff will be happening to muddy the waters. We might buy fewer Spanish aubergines. We might stop building Hondas in Swindon. But some entrepreneurial types will find something else for us to do. You could always go and pick some potatoes in Lincolnshire.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010