Cosmetic importing

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Turner_west, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Turner_west

Turner_west UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi, I apologise if this has already been asked I couldn’t find exactly what I’m looking for.
    I would like to know if I were to import a finished product from China a nail product that is basically a white label product would I need to get tested in a UK lab before putting on CPNP?
    Will I also need and import licenses ?

thanks!

Posted: Mar 11, 2020 By: Turner_west Member since: Feb 22, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,815 3,025
    Yes you would need to have it tested.
    You would become responsible for making sure it is safe.

Posted: Mar 11, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,458 9,914
    Yes
    Yes

This would be a good place to start:

https://www.ctpa.org.uk/legislation

Posted: Mar 11, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

177 29
    Yes it needs to be tested but not necessarily in the uk. It needs to be a suitably qualified laboratory and the correct tests need to be done. You do not need an import licence but you need to comply with all of the following:

Will need to comply with EU Cosmetics regulations No 1223/2009.

1. Product must not contain ingredients on prohibited list http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1478/made

2. Product is subject to additional controls if it contains a restricted ingredient (may include concentration limits and increased labelling).

3. A responsible person with a UK contact address must be nominated. Usually the manufacturer (if in UK) or the importer

4. Labelling:

a. Address of responsible person in UK

b. Country of origin

c. Description of function (eg insect repellent)

d. Identification eg batch number

e. Product life expectancy (eg best before if less than 30 months or if longer using once opened symbol

f. Storage instructions

g. Precautions in use eg. avoid contact with eyes

h. Ingredients list (by weight) – on packaging only (all above on product and packaging).

5. Responsible person (see 3a) needs to keep records for 10 years at registered address in the form of a product information file (PIF)

a. Description of product details and reference number

b. Full ingredient details

c. Physico-chemical and biological specifications of raw ingredients, finished product, and purity and microbiological control criteria

d. Description od method of manufacturing and statement on compliance with good manufacturing practice

e. Proof to justify any claims made in relation to the product and its efficacy

f. Data on any animal testing relating to development or safety of product or ingredients

g. Cosmetic safety product report (SA) – assessment of safety for human health of finished product including criteria stipulated in regulations

h. Name and address of persons who carried the safety assessment including their qualifications.

6. Notification requirements

7. You (as responsible person) must register with the European Commission Authentication Service (EXAS) and obtain a unique login for your business. You then need to provide detailed information for all the cosmetic products you offer for sale via the CPNP portal before you start selling. The information includes:

a. Category of product and name

b. Name address and contact details for specific individual

c. Presence of any materials in the form of nanomaterials

d. The frame formulation allowing safe medical treatment

e. Pictures of the product, its packaging and labelling.

Once all this is complied with you can commence selling!

Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 11, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  5. Turner_west

Turner_west UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Would. Msds/SDS/SGS be suitable do you know?
    And i keep seeing about getting liquids such as nail products pass customs control would this be like fed ex?

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 By: Turner_west Member since: Feb 22, 2020
  6. CHUKTC

177 29
    The important and most difficult bit in my view is you need the following:
    g. Cosmetic safety product report (SA) – assessment of safety for human health of finished product including criteria stipulated in regulations
    h. Name and address of persons who carried the safety assessment including their qualifications.
    This is a well defined document and the requirements are laid down in EU regulations (which go to many pages).
    You will require Msds/SDS/SGS for each of the individual ingredients but that is only a small part of the report.
    Like all imported products they require customs clearance on entry to the UK. That is a relatively straightforward procedure which any freight forwarder or agent can handle for you.

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  7. HMM

HMM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Do you know where we can find examples of actual PIFs to use as guidance?

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 By: HMM Member since: Oct 7, 2020
  8. CHUKTC

177 29
    I don't - maybe someone else here does but essential its made up of all the documentation required to comply with EU Cosmetics regulations No 1223/2009 - is listed above. It will be slightly different for each product.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  9. HMM

7 0
    Would my manufacturer be able to supply me with everything I need? Or would I need to get the products tested myself?

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: HMM Member since: Oct 7, 2020
  10. CHUKTC

177 29
    It really depends - some manufactures will be able to provide a lot of the information if not all - especially if they are already selling into the EU - in which case the product may already be registered with the EXAS. However if the company has never exported to the EU before - typically smaller suppliers you may find you have a lot of information missing. You may be able to persuade the factory to pay for the testing - especially if you are placing large orders, otherwise its something you will need to fund yourself. If you fund it make sure you retain ownership of the results not the factory!

11. HMM

7 0
    I have obtained a Safety Data Sheet from the manufacturer who is located outside of the EU. Inside the report is the safety procedures and testing of the product; it also includes the address of the manufacturer. From my understanding this would only cover one part of the PIF, correct me if I'm wrong as I am quite new to this and am trying to get my head around it.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: HMM Member since: Oct 7, 2020
  12. CHUKTC

177 29
    correct depending on the product it needs all of the above. - The cosmetic safety product report is often the most onerous and the one typically missing from Chinese manufactures product file.