Coronavirus could be the biggest mass hysteria of world history.

Discussion in 'COVID-19 Forum' started by Karimbo, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,794 188
    Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Regular Free Member

388 100
    The Daily Fail ran with a similar article that began with the 'SHOCK HORROR' of 'Half the UK Population - But, was then full of If, Could, Might, Possibly, Maybe, Experts Suggest . . . .

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

20,665 2,384
    Then it would have shown itself massively among the immuno suppressed and killed off many thousands of them by now.

Do not get on immunity - you do not develop immunity to even all previous coronaviruses.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

13,659 3,570
    I am convinced that I caught it on 9 January. I was working in an environment in close proximity to a large number of travellers from China at the time. Symptoms were unpleasant for 4 days, debilitating for another week and a cough for several weeks. When things went live here I tried telling 111, as I thought epidemiologists may be interested in the possibility, but 111 was not interested.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. Mr D

20,665 2,384
    So a mild dose lasting a short time - or possibly some other illness.
    However an antibody test - when they roll it out - will confirm for you.

You should have spoken to epidemiologists, not a call centre of civil servants.

6. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,750 1,667

If this was correct, then we'd start with a very high number of Covid 19 deaths as soon as we started looking for it. Instead, we're seeing a steady increase in deaths.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  7. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

618 149
    It could have. The number of deaths of immuno surpressed due to Covid-19 in itself would not have been noticeable - that category of patient has a high death rate anyway for obvious reasons and on a purely statistical level, we are not talking about high numbers of deaths. It is only once we start looking for Covid-19 being a factor in the deaths that it shows itself.

However, back in January and even February, we were not testing specifically for Covid-19 being a factor in death. The director of the CDC has said that deaths could have been attributed to flu prior to recent test protocol changes.

I am not saying the theory of "many of UK population having had it" is proven, but I do think it is plausible. I personally know 3 people who came down with viruses in January who said it was hard to breath, and they had very persistent coughs, but other symptoms expected with the flu were less severe. One of these people was first told her breathing issues were pneumonia, then asthma, with both diagnoses being subsequently ruled out. They then recovered and thought nothing more of it. Other people know other people with similar stories.

If it is correct, I don't think its a conspiracy, just a lack of knowledge. It would be irresponsible to tell the public - don't worry, we're probably okay - when they can't prove anything. They have to prepare for the worst case scenario. All we know is we are working on predictions right now, not solid experience, so worst case preparation is the safest course of action.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  8. Mr D

20,665 2,384
    Its a hypothesis. Maybe it will become theory.
    Test millions of people that were ill in January but not since - for the antibodies - and can prove the theory.

9. Mr D

20,665 2,384
    There would have been a significant spike.

Many of the people survive for years. At risk of catching stuff - not particularly at risk of dying with treatment.

10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,502 3,796
    There's a difference between Corbyn-19 and Corvid-19.

Germany has already gone into self-isolation, as you can see here -

[​IMG]

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

618 149
    I'm not sure the numbers we are talking about would create a spike - we average about 40k deaths per month, higher in winter than summer. If even 500 had died in January due to this, that number would have been lost in the tide. It wouldn't be noticeable when you're not looking for it.

As you say, they will only get a clear picture when they start testing for antibodies, but they aren't doing that yet.

This is true. But has testing become more widespread over time or did testing immediately go from 0 - 100% across the country on the same day?

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  12. Mr D

20,665 2,384
    Sorry, a spike in those who are recorded as immune suppressed would have been noticed.
    Not general population spike, group at risk spike.
    I know Leeds were still seeing transplant patients in its ongoing clinics this time last month. They could maybe notice a busy clinic suddenly short of patients over say a month or two?

13. Alison Moore

Alison Moore UKBF Regular Full Member

280 25
    I was ill back in February, it was like the flu, but no temperature, so we assumed it wasn't Coronavirus, but the more I read about people's symptoms, the more I think I might have had it. Haven't 100% got over it though nearly 8 weeks later, so whatever it is, its a lingerer. The government can't win though, if they hadn't closed everything down, they'd be wrong, now they've closed everything down they're still wrong. At the end of the day, a lot of people are getting very ill from it, even healthy, fit people.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Alison Moore Member since: Aug 4, 2016
  14. Opinion87

Opinion87 UKBF Regular Free Member

424 104
    Someone I know felt poorly. They called 111 and, according to them, were told it was "highly likely" they had Coronavirus- or tonsilitis.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 By: Opinion87 Member since: Jul 1, 2015