Contactless in person signature from customers

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Josh McConnell, May 31, 2021.

1. Josh McConnell

Josh McConnell UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    I am looking for some advice. We currently have a contract created on word which we print off and get the customer to name, date & sign. We are looking to make this digital. We have purchased some iPad's and have tried out Apple Markup, DocuSign & Adobe Sign. These apps don't do what we want or make it too complicated. The signature needs to be in-person and we want to save a copy for ourselves and email a copy to the customer. We don't want to store the customers signature which is what DocuSign does if they sign using our iPad.
    Does anyone use any good apps or services for digital in-person signing?
    Cheers.

Posted: May 31, 2021 By: Josh McConnell Member since: May 31, 2021
  2. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Hi Josh and welcome to UKBF.

The problem with digital signing is it has to be date stamped and stored securely. Without this the document can be digitally altered after signing.

If the customer fills in their name and makes a squiggle you will have to save the document somewhere somewhere so you can send the email. Which means you will have to store the signature. There is no way round this.

We have recently signed some document online, it was really simple. Not sure why you find it so complicated.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. IanSuth

IanSuth Contributor

438 127
    As soon as you send something digitally you are creating copies in multiple p[laces so don't worry about that side.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
  4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    It’s not the number of copies. It’s the ability to change the document that matters. When you use docusign a notarised original is retained. That then becomes the master. If you are emailing copies of a word document without signatures you don’t have any traceability.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Frank the Insurance guy

Frank the Insurance guy Full Member
    Contributor

488 146
    By in person- do you mean they sign it in front of you on your device? If that is the case, you just need a word type app that allows for handwriting on the screen - just get them to sign it on the screen and then attach it to an email there and then - you both get a copy.

I can't see any reason why you would not want to keep a copy of the signature? If you don't then you have no evidence they signed it? If later on they tell you they never signed anything, what evidence would you have?

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 By: Frank the Insurance guy Member since: Oct 28, 2020
  6. Josh McConnell

3 0
    Sorry, think my first post was a bit confusing.
    1. I need a copy of the document. But for example on DocuSign if they're using my device to sign the document it was saving their signature which I could then put on any document I wish.
    2. Yes, by in-person I mean they sign the document using my iPad in front of me.
    3. We want it almost like when you sign for a parcel, just a really easy big signature box.
    Cheers

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: Josh McConnell Member since: May 31, 2021
  7. Frank the Insurance guy

Contributor

488 146
    Not sure how Ipads/apple software works, but on my surface tablet someone can sign documents on the device that I can then email to them?

Does Apple not have something similar?

As they are doing it in front of you, can;t see why you need a Docusign type verified signature as you were there to witness it?

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: Frank the Insurance guy Member since: Oct 28, 2020
  8. Josh McConnell

3 0
    They have a markup feature but it isn't very good. Every time we try to zoom into the signature box you end up putting lines all over the document.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: Josh McConnell Member since: May 31, 2021
  9. Frank the Insurance guy

Contributor

488 146
    Just googled and it looks like you can handwrite on MS Word for Ipad - but may only work on an Ipadpro.

Suggest downloading MS Word from the appstore and giving that a try.

10. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    @Frank the Insurance guy,

When you send the signed document whats to stop anyone changing the content? Or you changing the content?

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. IanSuth

IanSuth Contributor

438 127
    I remember I had a client who used a system to send employment contracts to applicants, they had to sign on screen with a mouse and a copy was immediately emailed to client, applicant and agency. I wish i could remember what it was called as I reckon it did what you want

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
  12. Frank the Insurance guy

Contributor

488 146
    I pdf it. No different to having a paper document signed and scanning it to someone.

13. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    You can edit a pdf. Loads of free software can do this.

A scanned document isn't editable the PDF is a single image. Saving a word document to PDF doesn't prevent editing.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF UKBF Staff
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

4,119 709
    @Josh McConnell I think you may be overly worrying about the DocuSign and signature issue, especially as all other options suggested could also have same issues you refer to.
    I use DocuSign a lot, and the signature is saved to MY account for use and not available for the other party to put onto other documents. If anything, it's their core business and is becoming more widely recognised - so it makes sense to go with a recognised solution if you are wanting people to sign stuff.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  15. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

1,089 259
    You overcomplicating stuff and also mistake 1 was to buy ipad for that. With android you could go more easy on actually sharing content etc... And much more customizable.

Here is how you get around your problem.

Setup on the ipad a dedicated email e. G [email protected].

Create content on your workstation and use any 3rd party software docu Adobe zoho with the option send to sign and email it to the [email protected] email.

Grap ipad open email with doc and now you hand it to the customer.

He signs and it sends back to the sign company.

Go back to your workstation access the recently signed doc and resend to customer email digital signed copy.

Job done. You created signed content.

Also zoho offers on forms and accounts to integrate zoho sign you could even host it on your website. Just saying.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  16. japancool

japancool Contributor

5,042 1,149
    You can edit a scanned document with a bit of image manipulation.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  17. Dan Keen

Dan Keen UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    Have you thought about Microsoft Dynamics 365. We just created a specific app for a clients field staff so that they could upload photos, obtain esigniture, receive alerts and communicate all of which were available offline and uploaded once connected back to the internet if needed. Feild staff were able to use any smart device of their choice and the data then uploaded straight to their CRM system - This was all very easy to configure.

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 By: Dan Keen Member since: Jul 7, 2021
  18. Ivanovitch

Ivanovitch UKBF Newcomer

13 1
    PDFs are editable and forgers have been copying signatures for a very long time so even paper isn’t perfect, it’s up to you what level of security you’re after. That said signing a Word document is bottom of the ladder.

My iPad recommendation - save the document as a PDF then get the client to sign using Noteability. They can either sign straight on the screen or if you prefer you can open a big zoom box to give them more space and it’ll look like the delivery signing systems you mentioned. You can then send a copy by email directly from the app, make sure you hit the ‘flatten’ option so the signature is imbedded on the page and not in a layer above it.
    Once the contract has been signed and emailed to yourself and the client you can delete it off the iPad to at least make alterations a little bit harder.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 By: Ivanovitch Member since: Apr 7, 2009