Contacting HMRC

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Rhyl Lightworks, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    Has anyone tried contacting HMRC lately? You are kept waiting on their phone lines for at least an hour and you eventually give up. They do not have an email address, so I wrote to them on Sept. 23rd. I am told by an operative that I succeeded in talking to at 8am on Sat. 11th. Oct. when I was told was the best time to ring them, and was told my letter, dated Sept. 23rd. 2014, would be replied to about Nov. 14th. 2014. If I responded to letters, emails or phone calls with this kind of delay, I would be out of business in 5 mins. Meanwhile they have forwarded the bill for SA tax to their collection agency and there is nothing I can do about it. Or is there?
    Barrie

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  2. Jeremiah@RHJ Accountants

[email protected] Accountants UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

595 102
    The best time to call HMRC normally is 8am in the morning as you will have minimal delays.

Also if you have an accountant they can speak to HMRC on your behalf so it means you can spend time on your business.

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 By: [email protected] Accountants Member since: Jan 5, 2012
  3. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,763 2,365
    Dealing with HMRC is truly horrendous.

It has got gradually worse over the years, and I am sure most accountants will have numerous tales of how utterly frustrating and time wasting it is....and we have priority agent contact numbers!

Sorry this doesnt help you I know but I can relate to how you feel.

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  4. sarky

sarky UKBF Regular Free Member

150 33
    There's also the compaints team 03000 553569 (Mon-Thurs 0830-1700; Fri 0830-1600). It's the place where complaints are handled and they tend to answer the phone. Say you're complaining that you can't get through on the other number.

Also the "Employer office" 0300 200 3200, also in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Follow up all calls with a letter of what you or they agreed on the phone.

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 By: sarky Member since: Jul 7, 2010
  5. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

1,406 214
    My opinion is that it's best to deal with bureaucrats with simple, succinct letters. Keep a copy. Send it 'Signed For' if it's important.

Then you can say "I sent this letter on 23rd October. That you've taken 3 months to reply is the reason X deadline has been missed" or somesuch.

You've "shown willing" and left the ball in their court. 'Though it's much better to meet the deadline! I would guess HMRC have heard all the excuses so I wouldn't try to get clever.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.