Confused about EU to UK imports and VAT Deferral

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Austin VT, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Austin VT

Austin VT UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Hi there,

Apologies if this is answered somewhere. I have read through multiple threads and HMRC guidance and I'm still really confused.

Basically, we are:
    • Based in England
    • Limited company
    • VAT registered
    We've made two imports from Germany shipped via DHL for non-restricted food products, one in January and one in March. We've had no notification of charges or invoices from DHL or HMRC regarding import duty or VAT.

We've accounted for reverse charge VAT on our VAT return for these two orders.

Do we need to pay or declare anything else? We've checked our Customs Declaration Service (CDS) monthly import statement and it shows nothing all year.

Any help clarifying this would be muchly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 By: Austin VT Member since: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews Contributor

302 89
    Yes not so simple as Boris promised but that’s another lie of his.

From my experience here in Spain DHL have been one of the best couriers during these difficult times.

You might like to go on their website as they have a section detailing requirements of each country in the world. I used it when we had a request from Russia. You could see what they are saying is the process for German exports to UK.

The pattern we are finding here is that if it gets past customs then we have to pay the usual Spanish VAT and an admin fee of around £15 before they deliver.

The payment of VAT might be different with UK Government.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  3. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor

90 22
    I'm guessing the company(s) you purchased from and/or the courier had your EORI number as that's what ties you to the CDS (so HMRC says)? You can also get 'Postponed import VAT statements' listed on the CDS system and we've had these for months with freight forwarder deliveries.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
  4. Import Expert

Import Expert Contributor

365 141
    Perhaps they are zero rated for VAT depending on the type of food product?

Posted: Jul 12, 2021 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  5. Austin VT

Austin VT UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, DHL had our EORI number but nothing is showing up on our statement on CDS. The food we imported would attract standard rate VAT, also. It's all very confusing.. hopefully things will be clearer and smoother in the coming months.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 By: Austin VT Member since: Sep 4, 2017
  6. Richard Clarke

Richard Clarke UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Evening Austin VT..
    Many forwarders and hauliers are taking the importers EORI numbers and then using the delayed customs which is in place. You have 175 days i believe from import to declare your shipment.
    If a shipment isnt showing on your PVA statement the following month then i would guess your import has not been declared. If you need more help PM me.

Regards
    Rich

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 By: Richard Clarke Member since: Jul 23, 2021