Competitor using my pictures

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by luckyg, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckyg

luckyg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

334 15
    One of my competitors is using pictures from my site and worse still, they are stored on my site...i.e. right click properties and my url is on it. What an idiot!

If i notify google unde the digital millenium act, will they take his site down?

He is no 2 on 1st page of google, I am below no 5.

Any advice on how to screw him up as much as possible in terms of rankings?

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: luckyg Member since: Sep 17, 2008
  2. downsouth

downsouth UKBF Ace Free Member

1,067 122
    a little bit nasty but change the image to something 'more adult' looking or create an image which says 'i nicked this image from a competitor'

hehehehehe

he'll have the shock when he looks at his website then!!!

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: downsouth Member since: May 16, 2008
  3. luckyg

334 15
    thats a very good idea.hehe

but it could be a gift, if he were punished by google for stealing them. I know if i reported him under digital millenium act and her was using adwords, they woudl ban him from adwords for 10 days. but im not so sure what happens re his organic listing.

i'm trying to find out if its possible............

4. luckyg

334 15
    i wonder is it considered as a link from his site to my site? and therefore boost my rankings?

5. Steve2507

Steve2507 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,555 222
    This is what I would do:

Copy theimages into a new folder and rename them. Thenset my site to the new images.

With the old images I would replace them with an image of an offer at your site. Say 10% off with XXX code.

That way you get some free advertising without the hassle of going to G.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: Steve2507 Member since: Jun 9, 2006
  6. Steve2507

1,555 222
    He could just say you said he could use them. Your word against his.

7. Peter1982

Peter1982 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

143 8
    We have had the exact same problem a few times now. First we contacted the person who'd taken the images and they removed them straight away. The it happened again with someone else so we asked them to remove them as well and they were more reluctant. We had to explain in great detail how the images had been created and how we'd taken lots of our time, used our software etc etc and eventually they agreed to remove them.

This is very annoying when you work so hard to get things looking right and then some one just right clicks on your work

Just thought I'd get that out of my system.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: Peter1982 Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  8. DreamLifestyle

DreamLifestyle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

328 15

Good idea. If they rank higher change your images they are copying to advertise your site. It's free advertising and double advertising for your keywords on page 1 of Google.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: DreamLifestyle Member since: Mar 5, 2008
  9. Peter1982

Peter1982 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

143 8
    what is the offending website?

without giving them a link!

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: Peter1982 Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  10. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,346 2,078
    Charge him for using your copyrighted images.

Send him an invoice for them... if he doesn't like that, tell him you're going after him for the theft.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  11. Steve2507

1,555 222
    Legally that is the correct thing to do, but my way means he/she loses all images, you get free advertising and you will probably find it affects their business far harder than if you ask them to remove the images.

12. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Legend

6,066 1,101
    I like Steve's idea.

Nothing illegal in you changing your own images, far more effective and, free advertising.

I don't see how you can lose out.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: Subbynet Member since: Aug 1, 2005
  13. luckyg

334 15
    yup, its the thing to do alright. It would be nice to inform google and have him removed, but i guess that is too goo to be true.

im making up the new images now. will be interesting to see how long it takes him to notice.

14. luckyg

334 15
    on another note.

if the images are giving me good seo linkage, it would be better to keep the stolen images on there.

am i right? would this give me an seo benefit.

his source code will be showing urls of my site where images are.

i would be grateful if anyone knew before i go posting the new images.

15. Steve2507

1,555 222
    Ignore the serps (I don't think there is any benefit anyway).

Take a step back and think about it.

They have better position than you. So they may get hits? This is not always true, but if they do then the visitor sees your 'advert' and instead of buying from the site they are on (there are no images anyway) they move to your site and buy from you. Alternatively they click on your site from the serps and buy from you. The third alternative is that they click on another site that is nothing to do with you or this other guy and don't buy from either of you (this would have happened anyway).

A lot is made of serps, but it doesn't mean that just because you are higher in the serps you get more business. It's conversion and the bottom line that count not how high you are in serps.

You also have to take into account all the results from every search term your site comes up on. To give you an example we have recently dropped from 11th to 18th for one of our main phrases. Thing is though, it hasn't affected our overall takings. The drop there has been countered by rises elsewhere. Especially rises in phrases that aren't searched as often, but have far higher conversion rates (some as much as 100%).

An added benefit of my method is you don't know if they have other sites using your images. You may be getting more advertising from sites you don't know about.

16. Edward Moss

Edward Moss UKBF Newcomer Full Member

406 66
    Who owns the copyright of the images? If they are yours, then under the 1988 copyright act your competitor is in breach of copyright. Take screen grabs of the offending pages as evidence. You are well within your rights to invoice them for use of your pictures.

If you have licensed them from a photographer, then look at his/her terms and inform the photographer, it will still be covered in the 1988 copyright act.

Don't let them get away with it, it is theft at the end of the day.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: Edward Moss Member since: Nov 25, 2008
  17. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    I had this happen to my IT Support Blog once, where a guy nicked my pic and linked back to it.

I simply changed the pic, and put a post on my humour blog about him..... I actually notice the clown still has it up :)

No real benefit to me, but I did kind of enjoy it.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  18. davidshaw89

davidshaw89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

873 176
    some good funny ideas here!

Since it does actually waste your bandwidth, for future, it might be useful to enable "hotlink protection" - you should be able to do this through your websites control panel.

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: davidshaw89 Member since: Jan 19, 2008
  19. GBMaps

GBMaps UKBF Newcomer Free Member

126 17
    I may be wrong but doesn't google cache images from our websites all the time - making copies of them and storing them on it's own servers ? This is much worse than simply linking the images into a webpage, and no one complains. I think that as long as the other site isn't passing off their products as yours by way of using your brand name or attempting to mislead the viewing public into believing their product is actually yours, you can't do much really apart from do as others have said - put advertisements in their place or save some 10mb blank images there instead ;-) If your lucky it may make their site take so long to load it makes people click away. I think it's a pain and you do right to get annoyed but, you either have to accept it or stamp copyright info across all your images.

We get people knicking our maps all the time !! P.s. If your images are so popular you want to start selling them on istockphoto ;-)

Posted: Nov 30, 2008 By: GBMaps Member since: Nov 20, 2006
  20. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    Yeah this happens to us all the time! People just pinch the images from Google image search normally, its nothing specific about you or your site.

Sending an invoice with a request to pay or remove the images with 14 days is totally enforcable in principal - the problem is you can't charge more than a reasonable rate to 'borrow' the images and the only other way to make a worthwhile amount of cash is to prove his actions damaged your business or benfitted his. So all a lot of hassle which is why he won't give a monkeys no matter what you threaten!

So do whats been suggested and do what we do. Create a replacement image that either promotes your site or slanders his site and customers to hell.

There are endless possibilities for hilarity so go and enjoy yourself. If you can't think of anything good this sort of thing brightens up most sites:

http://rapspot.dk/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Hairy-ass.jpg

(I wouldn't click on that if you are thin skinned ;) )

Posted: Dec 1, 2008 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.