Company Name help Required

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by MBritton, May 8, 2019.

1. MBritton

MBritton UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hi all.

I am initially seeking some help on coming up with a name for my new venture as a Sports Massage Therapist. I have only managed to come up with one myself that doesn't already exist in the Uk, however there is a company in the US with that name, but seemingly there website doesn't load and they've been inactive for a couple of years. My idea was Myobility, Myo meaning muscle, but it's getting mixed reviews at work in my office.

Just a little info that may help: My name is Matt Britton and I will be working out of the N E Lincs (Grimsby area), but my initial instinct is to not make it area related. If things go ok I may also do more qualifications to move up from massage to a Sports Therapist. So ideally I'm looking for something that would not limit me in the future, but at the same time not be false advertising in the meantime. So if any kind folks have any brighter ideas than me I'd love to hear them.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: MBritton Member since: May 8, 2019
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,096 8,832
    Matt Britton Ltd

Then trading as: Matt Britton Sports Massage Therapist

Don't complicate things.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,314 3,228
    As the man said - use your own name. That way, you are telling people that you are the business and you identify with the business.

Also, companies that use the name(s) of the founder(s) tend to be more successful than those that do not.

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  4. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Regular Free Member

334 54
    People tie themselves up in knots on this subject keep it simple you are promoting you, and then what you do. The perfect answer is above. best of luck

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  5. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,566 2,338
    I'd keep it simple too.

I'd go for Matt Britton Sports Massage Therapist

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Posted: May 8, 2019 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  6. MBritton

4 0
    Fair points thank you. I'd steered away from that for a couple of reasons. 1) I always think my name sounds a little blunt. 2) there are a lot of Matt Brittons running business' on a google search. So I instinctively thought I should find something a little more unique.

7. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Regular Free Member

334 54
    Matt do you own your own domain name as I see its already taken ........... we may have to have a re-think

Posted: May 8, 2019 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  8. fisicx

30,096 8,832
    Nobody will ever see the company name.

They will only ever see the trading name and in the footer of your website you put the company details.

9. MBritton

4 0
    No I don't own a domain name yet.

10. fisicx

30,096 8,832
    The domain name can be anything - doesn't have to be the same as the company name.

For example B&Q has diy.com for their website.

11. MBritton

4 0
    I get the domain name difference, by no means a Web expert but I am a network engineer. I did not realise thought that there is a difference between business name and trade name?

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: MBritton Member since: May 8, 2019
  12. Higgsy

Higgsy UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 11
    My silly side wants to say "The Brittas Empire", but in all seriousness most Sports Therapists I know use their names, as after all it is yourself you are selling at first.

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: Higgsy Member since: Oct 1, 2018
  13. Ellyndel

Ellyndel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I also think that using my name is best for the company. You and yourself will advertise and company. And your customers will know exactly who they are talking to.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 2:24 PM By: Ellyndel Member since: May 16, 2019
  14. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

519 120
    I don't even know my physiotherapist's company name or trading name! I picked him because of his reputation on a google search (reviews etc), I honestly didn't care what the business was called. His reputation was the attraction. I would have seen the business/trading name initially but after the first phone call I was just calling him Neil because that's his name. If I recommend him to anyone, I say "call Neil on 079xxxx".

Don't worry about the name and put your energy into promoting yourself.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 10:11 AM By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012