Company based in Germany refusing to sell me software because i am not registered for VAT

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by wood1e2, Feb 5, 2018.

1. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

I have a few uk customers who plague me continually to do work for them. I don't wish to do it. They want services I know they will later give me grief for. I make up lots of excuses for never being able to do it. Most of the reasons are rubbish. I quite like the VAT reason. I'll use this myself next time. "Sorry, I can only provide services for you if you are VAT registered." Excellent idea. The Byre's explanation on the system over there just makes me think that they've made decision that they just don't wish to trade with certain groups of buyers, and consumers, which German regs seem to dictate some customers actually are, can cause grief so they'd rather lose the business. Which is their right to do?

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Make your mind up.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  3. willyham

willyham UKBF Newcomer Free Member

What software are you trying to buy? Might be cheaper to pay someone to make it locally or online?

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: willyham Member since: Feb 9, 2018
  4. wood1e2

wood1e2 UKBF Ace Free Member

@Alan - I was just asking. As I am not prepared to register for VAT just to buy some software from within EU.

Solution - buy it from outside the EU. Which I have done.

@willyham - I doubt it could be built for less than £300

@paulears - Go for it. I just tell potential clients I don't like the look off or how they sound that I am too busy... or just over quote, they soon get the message.

@Mr D - Really I thought the EU plans were to charge VAT on everything if they don't already and that historically they have hated our 'Zero Rated VAT Rate'?

Having said that the modern politician likes nothing better than to create a new tax to solve a problem :)

@atmosbob - VAT has everything to do with EU, it is a EU controlled tax.

@The Byre - As my tirade is not uninformed, as the country of the company is unimportant as it is EU, I could have been wingeing about an Italian or Greek company!! It is purely that is 'software' that it is 'downloadable'

VAT is EU controlled and nothing else.

Thanks for everyones input..

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007