Companies House - Naming regulations

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by James Rose, Oct 12, 2019.

1. James Rose

James Rose UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I have submitted a request to open an LLC. The naming conventions suggest that you cannot have a name comprised of 2 words where you change the last letter to a 'z' rather than it's plural form where the last letter is 's'.

However, the word while spelt the same (a homograph) is actually a different word. I am trying to understand whether I have made an error. I will demonstrate an example:

Existant: Right Downs
    New: Right Downz

The existing company sells cheap note-books, and the new company sells down from multiple birds. Not the best example because it's plural doesn't need an 's'. The word is different but a homograph and I have hedged my bet that it is not 'same as'.

Really would like to hear from people about personal experience relating to this, perhaps I should send the company with a similar name a letter requesting their acceptance.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: James Rose Member since: Oct 12, 2019
  2. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,980 714
    The words are the same. There may be multiple meanings but the written words are the same so I think you will have a problem. I doubt Companies House look at applications and say "oh but this might be the alternate meaning..."

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 7:01 AM By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  3. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,480 1,045
    Companies House is concerned about potential confusion or conflict rather than homonyms

you also need to afk yourself whether such potential confusion would be beneficial for you.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 8:30 AM By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  4. James Rose

James Rose UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    In the case that the name is rejected what happens? Is there an opportunity to change the name and complete the application or am I required to resubmit an application?

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM By: James Rose Member since: Oct 12, 2019