Commercial lease forfeiture

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by jeff lang, Jan 9, 2019.

1. jeff lang

jeff lang UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    I wanted the change of use and asked my landlord for the permission, he said yes so I paid the fee to my local council and the application went on the system. Then the landlord realised he needed he had to have the freeholders permission and when he asked them they said they wanted the £6000. If I'd been aware that someone wanted £6000 just to change a unit to A3 with no other alterations I very much doubt I'd still be there. I've paid my planning costs with no arguing. My lease states I need permission from my landlord to change planning use and to go through my local council. The landlord named on my lease is who I asked as I don't even know the freeholder and permission was given, therefore I followed my lease to the letter. Not sure why you think I'm trying to avoid planning costs? I've dealt with my local council on that plenty of times and it's nothing new to me. Having a £6000 bill thrown at me almost a month after planning has gone into the system is a new one for me though.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: jeff lang Member since: Jul 4, 2018
  2. jeff lang

jeff lang UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    And just to clarify the leaseholder is named as the landlord on my tenancy with no mention that he's just a leaseholder and there's another landlord in the mix. It even says "no other parties" Ive seen a solicitor and it took him a matter of minutes to see the £6000 isn't my issue because of how it was dealt with. This is all irrelevant points being brought up. All I wanted to know was is there a time limit on when he can notify me he is forfeiting the lease and parkingandsecurity answered a while back.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: jeff lang Member since: Jul 4, 2018
  3. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,888 2,146
    It is a complete waste of our time. You have a solicitor. They have read the lease (which we have not) so they are in a much better position to advise you with the ACTUAL facts to hand rather than the confusing drip feed we have. They can tell you what rights the FREEHOLDER has, what rights the LEASEHOLDER has, and what if any rights you have. They can advise you about the risks you have and even tell you if your lease is valid. It may well be that your landlord needed to get permission from the freeholder in order to sub let.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007