Commercial Kitchen required for Hire - South Yorkshire

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Cini_Supplì, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cini_Supplì

Cini_Supplì UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hi everyone - I'm in the process of launching a new food product in the UK market and am very close to securing a test order from a successful farm shop in the area, but am struggling to secure a professional kitchen for hire (they all seem to be in London or Northern Ireland!). I probably only need it for one or two days a month, ideally at the weekend.

I'm in Doncaster but can travel (within reason, or my costs will be sky-high). Can anyone help?

Posted: May 29, 2012 By: Cini_Supplì Member since: May 29, 2012
  2. Sing for your city

Sing for your city UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    have you tried manchester or approached any local biz that open late

Posted: Jul 6, 2012 By: Sing for your city Member since: Jun 5, 2012
  3. Cini_Supplì

4 0
    Hi & thanks for your response.

Manchester would be too far unfortunately. I need to think about the cost of travel on top of the cost of the kitchen, plus the travel time, which is not only an issue in terms of getting the most out of the day, but also because of food safety issues I need to be in transit for as short a time as possible.

I've found a kitchen in Doncaster that is fine for the scale I'm producing on now, but they're not open very long hours, so it's a bit of a struggle to get as much product made as I need to in the time I have. For now, it'll be fine, but if I need to ramp up production, I'll definitely have to find a bigger kitchen with a blast chiller and longer opening hours :(

Posted: Jul 6, 2012 By: Cini_Supplì Member since: May 29, 2012
  4. DuncanH

DuncanH UKBF Newcomer Free Member

37 1
    Just a thought but maybe try your local schools, they are closed 12 weeks of the year afterall, my mum was a school cook many moons ago but I know she was very precious about "her" kitchen! Alternativly some modern churches we have worked in have some seriously well kitted out kitchens, actually as I type some councils may be funny about hygene but private schools could be a little more helpful, but then again they don't need the money! we do the floors but I can't remember ever working in a rental kitchen.

Posted: Jul 6, 2012 By: DuncanH Member since: Jul 4, 2012
  5. Cini_Supplì

4 0
    Thanks for the suggestions, Duncan :)

I did try my kids' school but it was a 'no', unfortunately (a private school, not sure whether that would be significant, but given your ponderings above, I thought I'd mention it ;) ). My first port of call was Doncaster College, as they have a big catering/cooking training department and a massive kitchen, but I got nowhere with it after a few conversations, they never bothered to come back to me :|

I may try some more local schools - you never know!

Thanks again for all the input :)

6. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Ace Free Member

1,626 385
    A lot of the weddings I shoot at are in marquees, and essentially a pro kitchen is shipped into the catering tent. So essentially, if you have space for the marquee. you can hire the marquee and the kitchen gear

Posted: Jul 6, 2012 By: KING Professional Photography Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  7. Cini_Supplì

4 0
    You can hire temporary kitchens like that even without a marquee...but not on my kind of budget, unfortunately (and I don't have the space, either).

The one I've found is fine for now. When I need to scale up, I'll need something else (rapid chilling is a big factor so I will need somewhere with blast chillers - for now I'm managing with fridges & freezers), so I'll ask more schools and will look a bit further afield, too.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.