Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by Adzooma

Cold emails

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Mike_Cartwright, Nov 29, 2017.

1. LCowles

LCowles UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 0
    Cold doesn't work, except for when it does. It's 100% true that there are some people that will never receive or act on a cold email, call, approach. Sometimes that is their problem, and other times it's the fault of the contact.

This year I switched insurance providers because I knew who the cold caller was selling, and had wanted to work with them when I started my business. I did not like their formal inbound process because they gave me no indication of price, so I assumed they were expensive and left. It was only when another business (specializing in quotes) came along cold called me that I asked the question and was told that for my exact cover it would cost me half as much (I've never had to use it so it always seems like a waste of money). Essentially my own ego had got in my way.

Later in the year I got an email from a directory site (which has not performed), which converted me into a user (not a customer). Later on a warm follow-up call and some sales patter and I'd converted into a paying customer, I'd informed that business what they would need for me to renew next year. They only get one chance at cold, and if they don't perform by July, I'll never pay them again. Probably important is that it was a throwaway amount, and I deemed it would take me longer to deliver what they promised.

There is a lot of ritual you'll hear from others in business, like don't pick up the phone, or get off the phone as soon as possible. For the longest time I followed that advice and it didn't get me any closer to reaching my goals. I decided to break the ritual and try something new. So long as you're not giving over money on call or as a response to an email and know what you need to RE: due diligence I don't see the harm. Some of them even make me laugh, like the ones that promise "lowest rates" (which is the reason I wouldn't use them; those savings come from somewhere).

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: LCowles Member since: Dec 30, 2012
  2. dan_12106

dan_12106 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    Its amazing how many people are against reading cold emails that use them themselves...

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 By: dan_12106 Member since: Dec 19, 2017
  3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

647 187
    For me to actually read and act on a cold email it needs to:

Not sound spammy
    If the headline is generic and 'salesy' or sounds like clickbait it gets binned straight away.

Speak to me directly
    Again, if it sounds like a template with loads of spiel about the business sending it, it gets ignored. I'm mush more open to a targeted cold email from someone who's emailing me directly, rather than a mass email that's just added my name at the start.

Get to the point
    What are you inevitably trying to sell me? Cut to the chase, tell me the selling points, just enough to peak my interest then give me a link to a page or site where I can convince myself it's useful to me.

And no, I will not kindly direct you to the person responsible for purchasing our office furniture!

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  4. barryo

barryo UKBF Regular Free Member

199 46
    That conundrum has always puzzled me as well. The same applies to sales people and selling activity in general. They're denigrated by people who rely on the same things for their own business.

Posted: Jan 18, 2018 By: barryo Member since: Sep 5, 2010
  5. KindaichiShota

KindaichiShota UKBF Contributor Free Member

28 5
    I never read actually and always avoided.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: KindaichiShota Member since: Nov 8, 2017
  6. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,145 200
    Under the forthcoming GDPR regulations (May 2018) it will be illegal to send a cold mail to any individual, B2B or B2C, unless you have a specific Opt-in for the product or service being offered.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,292 621
    Curiously, the vast majority of people claim to be immune to selling or marketing, yet nearly everyone is.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Paul Murray

647 187
    Do you know if this rule would apply in the following scenario:

I want to send an email on behalf of my business a publicly available email address of another business (for example, one listed on their website) requesting permission to send them further details (a PDF, or a link to a webpage) about a product/service I have developed that I think will benefit them.
    This to me seems like it could possibly be ok, but my gut is telling me that this is subjective and whether or not it breaks regulation would be dependent on the subject that receives the email, meaning it probably does break regulations.

If something like this is against the GDPR then it's a bit of a spanner in the works for my marketing strategy.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  9. ffox

1,145 200
    Hi Paul. The spirit of the GDPR regulation is to stop marketers from retaining personal data and sending out sales material to the subjects of such data without being in possession of a concrete opt-in from the subject stating that they will accept such material. You ask -

Some commentators are currently saying that you can use publicly available addresses, other are saying you can't. We will only know for certain when there have been a few successful, or failed challenges. A marketing strategy built on an uncertainty is a risk.
    In any event, how long before those publicly available addresses get changed to anonymous addresses such as [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]

10. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,562 1,178
    Then try creating a better marketing strategy, one not based on spam. ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  11. Paul Murray

647 187
    Who said anything about spamming? A targeted email is just part of the strategy.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  12. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,562 1,178
    That's the problem, people who spam always try to find some other name for their spam.

Is it unsolicited? Is it the same email to more than one recipient (even just 2 recipients)? Is it commercial? Then it is UCE (otherwise known as spam).

Actually, scrap the multiple recipient requirement. It doesn't even need to be to multiple parties.

How you got the list, whether it is "targeted", and what you're smoking on the day you send the email is not really relevant, it's still spam.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  13. ffox

1,145 200
    Paul, it doesn't matter if it's labelled spam, targeted email or chicken goujons. What does matter is that if after GDPR you are sending marketing mails to harvested addresses, without a specific opt-in from the target, you are risking your business and possibly much more.

Read this thread - https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/being-sued-for-sending-a-marketing-email.384139/

This is happening under current regulation and not the more stringent GDPR. If you chose to base a marketing strategy on an 'interpretation' of the GDPR, and the 'interpretation' is challenged and rejected as unacceptable, every mail that you have sent since the introduction of the regulation will have been illegal. And your business will be at risk of action from every recipient of your mails.

The date of launch for GDPR is 25th May 2018 - it's no good waiting until you see what everyone else is doing - you need a compliant strategy in place by that date

14. Alexavine

Alexavine UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    When writing cold mails you should be careful and try to stand out. Do not copy templates, use personalization and check your cold mails for example at coldmail.ai. You'll be sure that nobody uses the same sales e-mail as you.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Alexavine Member since: Mar 2, 2018
  15. Caledonian TV

Caledonian TV UKBF Regular Free Member

252 100
    Personally, I hate spam - and have some fairly tight filters (via thunderbird) on our 'front of house' email addresses. - I'm also not a fan of being pestered by telesales, and so registered with CTPS and added the following line to our contact page:

"We respectfully ask that individuals engaged in tele-sales activities do not contact us - our numbers are registered with CTPS."

I wonder if something similar appended to our public email addresses, and possibly email signatures, would help assert our rights under this new legislation?

For the record - having been online since the very early days of the internet, which is over a quarter of a century now, my view of spam marketing emails is that they are the mark of a rogue trader; more likely to get the sender blacklisted than boosted!

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Caledonian TV Member since: Mar 8, 2018