Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by Adzooma

Cold emails

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Mike_Cartwright, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Mike_Cartwright

Mike_Cartwright UKBF Regular Free Member

155 16
    What's the best cold email that you have received and why? Or what's the best cold email that you have sent? Care to share your cold emailing secrets and techniques?

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 By: Mike_Cartwright Member since: May 7, 2017
  2. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,514 1,127
    Mike the beginning of the year I sent out a batch of emails On the list were contacts from many years ago that I thought may not be working still in the same company or even alive !
    My intention was to remove them from the list when I had a chance but not on this dull February afternoon so I pressed send and moved on to the next job
    I found out the next day that an employee in a large customer from about ten years ago saw the email and immediately contacted us regarding a new project they were working on This resulted in bookings of 6K this year Never remove them from the list and never assume

The best cold email was a good deal on a BMW lease !

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  3. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,025 1,294
    I'm like many people I guess, I simply don't bother to read cold emails, I just hit "block sender" and then delete.

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  4. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,145 200
    I wouldn't know because every unsolicited email I receive is deleted unopened. If I have personal or business money to spend I will decide where to spend it. If I need to make savings I will research the market and make a choice. Uninvited offers have no place in my world.

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  5. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,747 1,968
    Cold emails should be relevant to the industry you are sending to preferably with enough info to wet their appetite and address to a names person

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  6. bogdy23

bogdy23 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 1
    Forget about them. Do you actually think people still fall for THE SECRET THAT NO ONE WILL TELL YOU. I guess that would be a great subject line

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 By: bogdy23 Member since: Nov 30, 2017
  7. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

2,732 927
    Cold emailing gets best response when you don't try and sell.
    Think of it like dating. You don't dive in with the one call close :D you start a conversation, move to coffee, then a date and if you're real lucky you get lucky... :D

This might be of interest... Dropped through my email box recently... No affiliation etc.
    http://www.15minuteemail.com/

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  8. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,747 1,968
    I brought a mailing list a couple of years ago, just a small one and was surprised at the number of people who opened the email it was more than half, actual sales was minimal that we know of but as often the case you never know if they come to you months or years later

We attended a trade show once only a local town one, Three years later we had a gent come around with the pamphlet we had made for the show wanting to buy at the old price

It seems that you never know how long a useless bit of information lasts in your head for use years later, I guess that's marketing

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  9. JEREMY HAWKE

3,514 1,127
    I have not done dating for over 30 years so I don't know what the hell you are on about .
    I did have a subway with my wife the other day though:)

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  10. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

2,732 927
    Well, keep it up, one day you might just get lucky... :D

Posted: Dec 3, 2017 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  11. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,145 200
    Bu$$er! I knew I was doing wrong, just couldn't work out how. o_O

Posted: Dec 3, 2017 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  12. JEREMY HAWKE

3,514 1,127
    Yes order the salad bowl with no sauce . That's a good look :)

Posted: Dec 3, 2017 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  13. Dave Sutton

Dave Sutton UKBF Contributor Free Member

62 13
    It has worked well for me if it's targeted and tailored to your intended recipient. For example, I used to work within an IT company that worked specifically with retailers. We needed to target fairly senior people, which were surprisingly easy to find given their public profiles on company websites and their Linked-in profiles mostly being open. If your email is sent to them personally from Outlook, addressed to them, is brief & relevant then most people will give you a little more time I find than you would an unrecognised spam-y type email from one of the mass mailing platforms.

PM me if you'd like a bit more advice, but it's all about brief engaging content - particularly if you know your market well and can hit on particular pain points that people suffer from.

Posted: Dec 5, 2017 By: Dave Sutton Member since: Dec 4, 2017
  14. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Contributor Free Member

90 13
    I have used cold emailing for years and if targeted correctly it can open doors.

Try to concentrate it. Especially if working with multi regions. Tailor it with country specific info. If targeting Germany, detail a shipping cost for goods to Germany in email ( if supplying goods)

Attaining data for cold emails multi region.

Learn the keyword for your industry in every 10m+ population EU language in EU and search by Google. De.uk.fr.dk.De.uk.fr.dk.se etc

All that said, I never entertain cold emails myself.

Posted: Dec 6, 2017 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  15. barryo

barryo UKBF Regular Free Member

199 46
    For all those who "never open unsolicited emails" or "never take cold phone calls"...

[​IMG]

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 By: barryo Member since: Sep 5, 2010
  16. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,575 1,181
    Very droll.

But, no doubt, symptomatic of what all sales people think of the importance of their product! ;)

Now if just one call in one million is selling something that is as useful as the sales person thinks it is ....

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  17. Mel D

Mel D UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Relevance is absolutely key. If an email arrives in my inbox which is relevant to my industry and particular needs at that time, then I might open and have a look. But it needs to be personally addressed to me and not an automated generic email.

But this is incredibly rare indeed!

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 By: Mel D Member since: Feb 5, 2016
  18. Nord20

Nord20 UKBF Regular Free Member

486 108
    Cold emailing definitely does work and never forget that everyone alive thinks that they are the exception and are immune to advertising. I absolutely guarantee even the most stringent of email avoiders, like Ashley, will have opened numerous marketing emails, because those emails were the ones that were correctly targeted and with an appropriately interesting subject - they just didn't feel like marketing emails.

This is a big field, with far more work required to be successful than I can put in a single post, but to answer the OP's original question, the best and most successful email I ever saw sent out had the subject line.....

"Check out this video of my Wife".

Nearly 100% opens - linked to a video of the business owner's Wife (and business Partner) demonstrating their products and services. The comments section on that video was on fire, people thought it was hilarious and they started having conversations with lots of people and it ultimately led to a fantastic ROI. For disclosure, I was not involved professionally in this campaign, I know them socially and we discuss each others businesses as a kind of reciprocal mentoring thing.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Nord20 Member since: Mar 8, 2011
  19. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,575 1,181
    I open these to copy the header and post it in spamcop, not because I'm interested in seeing your wife. I've got enough wives.

You're kidding yourself. No matter how "appropriately interesting" your subject is I will delete your email and ban your ass.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  20. Nord20

Nord20 UKBF Regular Free Member

486 108
    Ok, not getting into a debate about this. It works, people respond all the time. You do need to get it right, but clearly and self evidently it does work!

Yes, some people have an almost pathologically aggressive attitude to any kind of advertising, but most people accept it as a fact of life, and actually to be welcomed when it's something they're interested in.

And with all due respect, it's almost impossible for you to have never looked at any marketing emails ever. It just doesn't happen.

If you want proof, go to unroll.me and put in your email address. It tells you what mailing lists you're subscribed to (and you can immediately unsubscribe from them, it's very useful). I'm willing to bet you're subscribed to a lot more than you think!

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Nord20 Member since: Mar 8, 2011