Cold Emails & Pitching

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Paddy Horgan, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paddy Horgan

Paddy Horgan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hello All!

Im fairly new on here but im desperately looking for some clarification on contact prospective clients online and via email.

From what i understand, if you can source the email address you can email them on it 'cold' once but you cant keep sending them loads of stuff (witch is fair enough)

However there is apparently some new stuff coming into effect in may that will change this? does anyone have any specifics on what is happening in may and how it will effect cold emailing?

Im very new to business, thanks in advance!!
    Paddy

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: Paddy Horgan Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  2. LiveNetworks Ltd

LiveNetworks Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

203 41
    People will tell you lots of things to sell you an email list but you'll find sending out any sort of mass email will invariably get your ISP or hosting account terminated and your email address, mail server and domain name blacklisted.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: LiveNetworks Ltd Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  3. Paddy Horgan

4 0
    AH Sorry i wasn't very clear.. I am not looking to do mass emailing or marketing campaigns

I am literally looking to find businesses that might need my services and then sending them a direct email to see if they are interested or not.

Each one is personalized and wouldn't be classed as bulk emails.

But they would be completely cold with no previous contact so i am a bit wary on the lawful side of things, i know cold calling has a lot of rules and restrictions but I am struggling to find the do's and dont's for cold emails.

I hope that makes sense?..

4. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,212 211
    Current regulation is DPA and PECR, new regulations coming in May 2018 is GDPR.

There is quite a lot of discussion on these forums at -
    https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/GDPR/

In short, the current PECR rules state -
    "You must not send marketing emails or texts to individuals without specific consent. There is a limited exception for your own previous customers, often called the ‘soft opt-in’."

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  5. Paddy Horgan

4 0
    Ok thanks that is really helpful.

I have just been reading through the official guidelines and found this on B2B emails:

If i am reading that correctly, does that mean i can email businesses without prior consent (not mass marketing emails) however will need to stop if they object to me emailing them?

It seems that alot of the messages i am seeing are to do with contacting the public but my business is purely B2B

Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick.

Business-to-business texts and emails
    GDPR Update If you are processing an individual’s personal data to send business to business texts and emails the right to object at any time to processing of their personal data for the purposes of direct marketing will apply. The right to object to marketing is absolute and you must stop processing for these purposes when someone objects. See our right to object guidance for further details.

142.These rules on consent, the soft opt-in and the right to opt out do not apply to electronic marketing messages sent to ‘corporate subscribers’ which means companies and other corporate bodies eg limited liability partnerships, Scottish partnerships, and government bodies. The only requirement is that the sender must identify itself and provide contact details.

143.However, it serves little purpose to send unsolicited marketing messages to those who have gone to the trouble of saying they do not want to receive them.

144.Corporate subscribers do not include sole traders and some partnerships who instead have the same protection as individual customers. If an organisation does not know whether a business customer is a corporate body or not, it cannot be sure which rules apply. Therefore we strongly recommend that organisations respect requests from any business not to email them.

145.In addition, many employees have personal corporate email addresses (eg firstname.lastnameATorg.co.uk), and individual employees will have a right under section 11 of the DPA to stop any marketing being sent to that type of email address.

6. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,212 211
    Confusing and conflicting isn't it?

142 States that rules on consent, soft opt-in and the right to opt-out don't apply to messages sent to corporates, but
    145 Overrides this by saying that if the corporate email address contains the name of an individual the full rights under DPA (and GPRS after May) will apply.

Basically, the safe option is to assume you have NO right to send unsolicited emails to any named individual via personal or business email address.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  7. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,102 8,835
    Even sending to [email protected] can get you into trouble if add the name of the finance director to the email message.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Aiden Andrews-McDermott

Aiden Andrews-McDermott UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 3
    Hein a nut shell the recipient needs to either consent or have previously bought from you or bought something similar. You must stop if the reply with the subject header saying unsubscribe but it maybe better to add an unsubscribe link.

Your ISP may also terminate services if you are deemed to be spamming your best bet is become can spam compliant it's not an UK thing but all reputable senders tend to abide by the policies. Be aware if you get deemed as a spammer it will have a negative impact on your company. I did try and post a link to the law on the ICO website but I'm to new to this forum to be allowed to post links.

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 By: Aiden Andrews-McDermott Member since: Mar 10, 2018
  9. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,102 8,835
    You can't rely on them having brought from you or bought something similar. The soft opt-in has a number of controls restricting what you can do.

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,112 1,308
    As some members may remember I contacted the Information Commissioner's Office a few months ago on this very topic.I went onto their Live Chat facility, and this is what I was told:

You can email a "non name" address: e.g. "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" etc.

If it is a name email address, e.g. "[email protected]" then you can email them once and if they ask you to stop you must do so. This also applies to businesses that may use a general email host, like "Gmail" or "Yahoo" - so "Contact us at [email protected]"

But yes, as others have stated this will change in May.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.