.co.uk / .uk question

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by 19ninety, Jul 26, 2019.

1. 19ninety

19ninety UKBF Regular Free Member

175 17
    I've been looking for a short sensible domain name, had an idea but the .uk but is was already registered but isn't being used, out of curiosity I checked the .co.uk variant and it's never been registered.
    It looks like the .uk was registered without .co.uk ownership during the period when .co.uk had the right to the same .uk domain name... but is there anyway to check this? The whois shows the .uk was only registered on Feb 14th:
    Does this mean the other person never had a right to the .uk? If I was to purchase the .co.uk now, does that give any historic right to the .uk variant in this situation?

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: 19ninety Member since: Nov 22, 2015
  2. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,371 166
    Firstly you can register .Co.UK looking at the dates, CO.UK is more prefered version over .UK

Regarding your last question about .UK domain, you have no right to own this domain even if you register co.uk version as the dates for this has already expired.
    The only option you have is to buy the domain from the current owner or wait if it expires in future and get it re-registered.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  3. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,004 257
    Probably, unless they had the .co.uk originally and let it expire.

No. The .uk right of registration only applied to registrants of domains registered before October 2013 and has now ended, so it's a free for all.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  4. Paulo1Chop

Paulo1Chop UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 8
    My initial thought it that you only have a 'right' to a name if it's a trademarked company name and has a history of use. But even then I would assume a legal path would need to be pursued.

Can you not contact the owner of the .uk and purchase it? Do you really need it in order to progress things forward?

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: Paulo1Chop Member since: Jul 12, 2019
  5. 19ninety

175 17
    Thanks for the replies and clearing things up.

6. 19ninety

175 17
    Not essential to have the short domain name, but it would be a nice abbreviation of a longer business name - easy to remember, short to type, etc.

7. HostOX

HostOX UKBF Contributor Free Member

75 3
    Only get rights if they have a trademark in which case they can easily get the .co.uk version from you, without that though they cannot touch you.

But using the same name just a different TLD is a bit stupid IMO.

Just be unique and register all versions.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 By: HostOX Member since: Aug 26, 2017