Clothing samples & manufacturing

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Retrokids, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retrokids

Retrokids UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello,

I am in the early stages of researching how to set up a line of children's wear and could really use some advice.

I have a range designed of 20-30 pieces for 0-6yr olds but am unable to make up samples myself to send to manufacturers.

Should I source a freelance pattern cutter to do this for me, along with producing Spec charts etc or is there a more cost effective way of doing it? Do some manufacturers offer the service of making up samples from sketches or would they need me to provide detailed drawings using computer software?

I've been quoted approximately £300 per garment by a couple of pattern cutters and I don't know if this is reasonable or not. This obviously means initial costs will be high.

Any advice, contacts or information would be greatly received as I'm keen not to get stuck at this hurdle and try and work out how to move forward on this one!

Many thanks

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 By: Retrokids Member since: Sep 17, 2012
  2. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,548 274
    Wouldn't you be better off asking such specific questions on a clothes manufacturing forum?

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,403 540
    It depends very much on where you plan to get the goods manufactured and what type of volume you're looking at.

If the volumes are high enough, the factory will work with you to get the patterns made. If I were you, I would get the factory to make first protos from the sketches and then go see the factory and work together to get the final pattern done.

Are you looking at Uk, EU or Asian production?

Mister B

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  4. Evesoffspring

Evesoffspring UKBF Newcomer Free Member

68 16
    I wish I could get £300 for a fully graded pattern !! I have to admit I'm too busy at the moment to take on any more work but I am happy to suggest places of interest
    fashion capital
    uk fashion and textile ass [UKFT]
    textile forum
    Or you could try your local college/Uni there's lots of students who are happy to offer their services for free or very cheap, granted not always perfect as they're still learning but you can also access photographers, makeup artists and web people.
    Best of luck in your venture:)

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: Evesoffspring Member since: May 13, 2010
  5. funkykitsch

funkykitsch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

87 6
    If you cannot make the clothes yourself then I would suggest you are in the wrong industry. I think this market is pretty saturated with websites like etsy - loads of people are making their own bespoke stuff. You only have to look at companies like peacocks and the like who go out of business...i think one to avoid.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 By: funkykitsch Member since: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,104 2,258
    It.s the typical mum thing, I can design something better so lets start a clothing brand

The idea is fine as it goes

Then no real knowledge of the industry, cannot even make a sample, No idea of where to buy the cloth

Want a company to spend many hours doing the research and get a sample order of 20 or 30 units in about 5 sizes

Have no idea of how to sell, who to or by whom

Sort a price out in the end and maybe someone will inform me of any health and safety regs I should have designed into the garment

This question comes up every week on this forum

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  7. funkykitsch

funkykitsch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

87 6
    It.s the typical mum thing, I can design something better so lets start a clothing brand

The idea is fine as it goes

lol - spot on chris - don't tell my wife i said that though - hush!
    My wife has sold a few things and to be fair the stuff she makes is really good stuff, but she is never going to be a millionnaire from it...if she makes 10k a year from it i'll be happy with that to be honest.

I also think this is a big issue for these larger clothing companies - they are now competing against these small operations which aren't really making any money but are now stopping big companies from making any money as well.

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 By: funkykitsch Member since: Sep 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.