Choosing an Online Payment Processor

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Ozzy, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Discountbannerprinting.co.uk

Discountbannerprinting.co.uk UKBF Regular Full Member

175 9
    Paypal standard (No cost expect per transaction) you can take most types of card and paypal over the internet (This will pass your customer over to there site to pay).

Paypal website pro (£20 a month) will allow you to take most types of card and payments over the phone (Virtual terminal) and you can integrate this into your site (The customer will not know it is paypal processing the transaction).

You do not need a merchant or business bank account you can just use your own personal account.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Posted: Jun 16, 2010 By: Discountbannerprinting.co.uk Member since: Feb 27, 2010
  2. simpson7647

simpson7647 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

840 20
    thanks for the reply so i dont actually need a business account?

Although i guess there are plenty of advantages to using one?? What are these

Thanks

Posted: Jun 16, 2010 By: simpson7647 Member since: Jun 10, 2010
  3. Josh G.

Josh G. UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    By looking at this thread, I thought to share my views on "Getting started in E-Commerce - Choosing an Online Payment Processor"...

I feel that any business who is about to open an E-Commerce website, must mull over my thought thoroughly. I believe that any E-Commerce website should have a secure online payment system to ensure complete safety of their customers. By saying so, I would like to introduce a service provider "TeleSign INC" which offers phone authentication and telephone verification to secure personal details of customers and to stop spam and fraudsters.

Verifying a user's telephone number takes only a few seconds:

* User enters their telephone number on a website
    * TeleSign immediately sends an automated voice call or SMS to the user with a one-time PIN code
    * User enters this one-time PIN code onto the website
    * User is verified ...

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 By: Josh G. Member since: Sep 22, 2011
  4. Newmedia

Newmedia UKBF Newcomer Free Member

295 7
    Can You/Should You use two different payment processors on your site in case you have problems with one and they stop accepting payments you still have the other as a fallback????

Posted: Mar 17, 2012 By: Newmedia Member since: Aug 21, 2010
  5. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,520 606
    Yes, you can have more than one payment processor on a single website. Depending on what shopping cart you are using you should be able to add as many payment modules as you want and either have them all active - giving customer the choice of who to use - or have one active and another as a fall back you can activate at any time.

Posted: Mar 19, 2012 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  6. PayPoint net

PayPoint net UKBF Newcomer Free Member

389 70
    It is great if you can have two payment providers so in the event of a fail you have a backup provider that can accept your customers payments. However unfortunately for many smaller businesses, especially when starting out, this is not a realistic option. Offering additional payment types such as PayPal could be a way around this (while your business is growing) to ensure that there is an alternative for your customers to make payments.Then once your business starts to grow you can have a think about adding an extra payment service provider. Is is advisable (when selecting a payment partner) to see if they can provide you with their reliability stats of their platform and infrastructure.

Posted: Mar 19, 2012 By: PayPoint net Member since: Aug 18, 2008
  7. jamescharls123

jamescharls123 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Today merchant account became an essential thing for most of the business. If you allow your customers to pay by credit card than it means you are running ahead from your competitors. It is really very useful in increasing your sales and popularity.

Posted: Mar 23, 2012 By: jamescharls123 Member since: Mar 19, 2012
  8. Card Cutters Ltd

Card Cutters Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    Very nice and knowledgeable article. Ozzy, I would like to say that you have made it nice and easy for everyone to understand what the procedure is and how its done. :)

To this I would like to add that getting set up to take payments online is as easy as this article. This is not a sales pitch but I have seen our customers say that it is very very easy and simple and very quick.

I would also like to say that please do not just trust your banks they end up giving you premium prices. Compare, there is a lot of competiton in the market and you can get the best out of it.

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 By: Card Cutters Ltd Member since: Nov 3, 2011
  9. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,818 282
    Who is Ozzy?

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  10. Card Cutters Ltd

11 0
    Paypal charge too much (probably more than 3%) and hold your money. People have mentioned at times they might even end up holding your money for a month or so. I would say not to go with, there is a lot in the market with better customer service, lower rates and secure.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: Card Cutters Ltd Member since: Nov 3, 2011
  11. Card Cutters Ltd

11 0
    Ozzy is the guy who has compiled-Getting started in E-Commerce - Choosing an Online Payment Processor.

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: Card Cutters Ltd Member since: Nov 3, 2011
  12. AshleyWhiteBusiness

AshleyWhiteBusiness UKBF Newcomer Free Member

71 6
    Have you heard about some issues regarding Paypal?

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 By: AshleyWhiteBusiness Member since: Dec 27, 2011
  13. simpson7647

simpson7647 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

840 20
    What's this then?

thanks,

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 By: simpson7647 Member since: Jun 10, 2010
  14. joshef

joshef UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Merchants accepting online payments need to follow list of security requirements. The online payment specific security is designed to decrease the chance of the billing and personal information being stolen. The transfer needs to occur over secure encrypted connection. so, it's a secure process and the user no need to worry about his or her personal information.

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 By: joshef Member since: May 24, 2012
  15. jojules

jojules UKBF Newcomer Free Member

30 4
    Skype is owned by Microsoft, and they do not own eBay and PayPal... I am not sure about this, but I think PayPal is owned by eBay... :)

I've been using 2CheckOut for Paypal (I don't like having to deal with them directly, it's too much of a hassle) and Credit Card payments in conjunction with Liberty Resreve and Perfect Money for alternative payments on my sites.

Since someone mentioned DDoS - and it can be a real pain... for protection I'm with Vistnet - never any uptime issues with them.

So far this combination, and I've been with it for over 2 years now is enough for my customers to keep coming back.

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 By: jojules Member since: Sep 8, 2011
  16. Stephen Black

Stephen Black UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 2
    Is there a price comparison site for card processing?

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 By: Stephen Black Member since: Feb 4, 2013
  17. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,818 282
    Hi Stephen.

Take a look at paymentbrain.co.uk (I have no association, though Nochex is one of the options available on there).

Good luck!

Peter (I work for Nochex)

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.