Choosing an Online Payment Processor

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Ozzy, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,560 610
    Please bare in mind EcomMerchant from Total Web Solutions. We are PCI Level 1 accredited and offer a pay page and Virtual Terminal from only £10 per month. Our solution works with an Internet Merchant ID from Barclays, HSBC, Natwest/RBS (Streamline) or Lloyds TSB. The pay page is fully customisable but held on our secure server. It is compatible with most 'off the shelf' shopping carts as well as bespoke integration.

For further details search 'Total Web Solutions' via your search engine.

Sales

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  2. yourmomma

yourmomma UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 0
    What would be the best solution for someone who takes card payments over the phone? I heard PayPal's pretty good, but I think my customers would have to register with them first. What I need is an ability to process a payment just by entering the customer's card details so that the customer wouldn't even need to go online. Is it even possible?

Any info appreciated.

Posted: Nov 10, 2009 By: yourmomma Member since: Aug 20, 2009
  3. Green Jelly

Green Jelly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

113 10
    Yourmomma - this is possible with a PayPal Business account. Customers have the option of using a credit/debit card or money in their PayPal account.

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 By: Green Jelly Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  4. Green Jelly

Green Jelly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

113 10
    Can anyone share their experience of HSBC Merchant services?

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 By: Green Jelly Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  5. yourmomma

26 0
    Thanks for you reply, Green_Jelly. Sorry I can't help with your question.

The PayPal method sounds good, however, one of the conditions that I forgot to mention is that I would like my company name to appear on my customers' bank statements. I believe that it would look more professional if PayPal did not appear on any of them. Would you happen to know if this is possible with PayPal?

Thank you!

Edit:

From an article about PayPal on some website:

So not good :(

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    Posted: Nov 11, 2009 By: yourmomma Member since: Aug 20, 2009
  6. MARLEY2

MARLEY2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

88 7
    PAYPAL IS A NIGHTMARE - You get alot of money in the account and they think something dodgy is happening and then freaze your account.

Worldpay has great customer service , But I cant get the return URL to work - 4 weeks later - same problem.

patrasys.com owe me £7000 and will be taken them to court , and many other people have had problems.

cardsave.net - Just signed up to them waiting for details in the post , will let you lot all know soon.

2checkout.com - many people have had problems trying to sign up with that company. and they are very picky who they use.

securepay.com Will let you lot know more about them soon.

hope this info helps

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 By: MARLEY2 Member since: May 4, 2008
  7. MARLEY2

MARLEY2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

88 7
    Paypal

Before using paypal.com take a look here , paypalsucks.com

Sellers , If you if you turn over alot of money they want to know everything.

If you are a seller and worried that How you can avoid paypal Chargebacks then Before Reading this Article, you may like to read our Article Paypal Chargback Scams.
    To Avoid Paypal Chargebacks -
    1. As a seller look at the ebay history of the buyer. If the buyer is very new then you have to be extra careful and if you think the chances of scam and fraud is way too high for you and you can't take the risk, then its better to just avoid such buyers.
    2. Just because a buyer has some reputation doesn't mean he can't fraud you or won't file for chargeback. Its always good to talk to the person by email/IM/Phone if you think its worth your time.
    3. While Shipping a product, always ship it from a reputable service like DHL or FedEx and always keep all kind of documentation.
    4. Most of the Chargebacks happen because the product is NOT tangible that is it is a service. For example, many designers, programmers and web based business owners often gets scammers regularly by people who chargebacks after getting the service as paypal do not cover such cases and you are completely on your own.
    In this case, you CAN'T do anything and the money will be deducted from your account and will be given back to the fraud buyer. Paypal may run a formal procedure for this but you will never your money.
    To avoid such cases, always make sure that the buyer is an honest guy and always do your due diligence to make sure the person is the right guy otherwise you really can't blame paypal later since they obviously are saying they do not consider such cases.
    A small list of options to verify the Buyer can be -
    1. Ask for his address and verify it
    2. Ask for his Phone number and verify it
    3. Ask for his identity proof like passport and verify it.

----------------------------------------------------
    If your selling a service , membership , websites , seo

The customer can do a chargeback and you lose all the money !! The customer would just say that they didnt get the goods and then you lose all the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
    Posted: Nov 11, 2009 By: MARLEY2 Member since: May 4, 2008
  8. yourmomma

26 0
    Thanks for the info! Very useful indeed.

One more question - do you know if any of these companies allow you to put your company name on customer bank statements? I don't want my customers to just see "world pay" or "paypal" on their statements for obvious reasons!

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 By: yourmomma Member since: Aug 20, 2009
  9. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,560 610
    Hi yourmomma,

Our solution - EcomMerchant - will allow you to have your company name on the statement as it will be the name set up with the bank providing the Internet Merchant Account.

If you want further information on our low-cost, PCI level 1 accredited solution just send me a private message with your details and I will happily get back to you.

Regards,

Simon

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  10. gloriousnetwork

gloriousnetwork UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Thanks for all the blog posts. We have been using Paypal but are looking to change. I've heard a lot of good things about Sage so may take a look at them.

Best wishes

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 By: gloriousnetwork Member since: Jun 9, 2010
  11. gloriousnetwork

gloriousnetwork UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Ecom-merchant sound good too. I'll take a look.

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 By: gloriousnetwork Member since: Jun 9, 2010
  12. cosmetics4less

cosmetics4less UKBF Newcomer Full Member

22 1
    We use Sage and Streamline with FSB reduced rates. This works fine. We also offer Paypal which we haven't had any problems with in more than 4 years but it's much more expensive.

Customers seem to like Paypal as they perceive it to be safer and it's much easier and quicker than inputting your card details. About 30% of our customers choose Paypal over card payments.

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 By: cosmetics4less Member since: Jun 7, 2010
  13. Dreamwaver

Dreamwaver UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    I think paypal and credit are wide receptive.

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 By: Dreamwaver Member since: May 31, 2010
  14. Discountbannerprinting.co.uk

Discountbannerprinting.co.uk UKBF Regular Full Member

175 9
    Paypal can be integrated so you don't even see that paypal is behind the payment process

Website Payments Pro

£20 a month, no merchant account and a decision in a 5 - 7 working days.

You Can accept cards, paypal and they may even give you the virtual terminal free (Payment over the phone)

Not a bad starting point for a company.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Posted: Jun 12, 2010 By: Discountbannerprinting.co.uk Member since: Feb 27, 2010
  15. Amy_Sagepay

Amy_Sagepay UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 2
    Hi All,

If you have any queries about our products or services just give me a shout!

Amy
    Sage Pay

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 By: Amy_Sagepay Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  16. limessl

limessl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

141 10
    I went with HSBC in the end, there were cheaper alternatives out there but I felt more secure going with the people I bank with.

£20 a month isn't bad I guess, and the rates I got as a complete start-up were not a rip-off (although I did use the alternatives as a bargaining tool!)

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 By: limessl Member since: Jan 10, 2010
  17. simpson7647

simpson7647 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

840 20
    hi all, im on the verge of setting up my E-commerce website, do i need a business bank account?
    I currently have a Abbey debit card ive been using to fund my website but do i need a business bank account or will this do fine??

What is a business bank account and what are the pros and cons??

Thanks all

Ryan

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 By: simpson7647 Member since: Jun 10, 2010
  18. Amy_Sagepay

Amy_Sagepay UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 2
    Hi Ryan,

The answer is yes. When setting up your E-commerce site you will be required to set up a Business bank account and Merchant account.
    The merchant account is necessary because this acts as an agreement between yourself and your bank that you are able to take online payments. Once a shopper has purchased on your site, the funds will need to go through your merchant bank before being settled into your business bank account.

Hope this helps!
    Amy

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 By: Amy_Sagepay Member since: Dec 2, 2009
  19. simpson7647

840 20
    thankyou Amy for your quick and accurate reply.
    Are there any guides that willl walk me through this as im not too knowledgable about this and im on the verge of setting up my e-commerence shop website.

thanks

20. simpson7647

840 20
    hi there, okay i kind of get what you mean.
    So if i wanted to run my e-commerce site just through paypal, i wouldnt have to set up a business bank account? Whats a merchant account??
    But im wanting to set up other ways of paying such as via credit card as well.

Bit confusing but im sure ill get the hang of it soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.