Choosing an Online Payment Processor

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Ozzy, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S Thatcher

S Thatcher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

31 7
    I wish I'd read the thread before launching in to offering payments on line for my customers. I didn't want anything on my site. I wanted to take a card or send and invoice. It seemed easy to set up with Pay Pal. Then a week in the whole thing went belly up. I'd set up a business account and then because as a business I'd done £1700 of business they blocked the account.
    How can you offre a business account that defaults at £1700. I then had to re-confirm a whole load of othings such as card etc that I had already done, and then they said that my business was not welcome, but wouldn't tell me why an dthen would let me withdraw money for sales I'd made.
    They are amateur in my opinion, great for selling your old tata for a few pence but I wouldn't go near them again.
    I called RBS World pay and bingo off and running. Diffrent World.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 By: S Thatcher Member since: Jan 10, 2008
  2. Ronney

Ronney UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    The real breakthrough in online money transfer was brought by private non-banking players, i.e. PayPal, Western Union, Epay, etc. These players defined an ingenious way of transferring money online through emails. All users need is to create an account and fund the account using credit card. The money can then be used to make payments, transfer to any bank, any country, and any account instantly. what makes it even better is transaction charges levied by these non-banking organizations, which is so economic that everyone can afford.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 By: Ronney Member since: May 2, 2009
  3. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 720
    I suspect vested interests with Electronica, they do nothing but promote a service which has several threads on this forum about it... and neither are positive.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  4. Dominic Taylor

Dominic Taylor UKBF Ace Full Member

1,174 254
    A world of darkness, pain, and reconciliation dates which seem like the light at the end of the never-ending tunnel perhaps? :p

We acquired a Worldpay account as part of an acquisiton once. I say acquired - we actually had to setup an entirely new account which took oh, about 4 weeks, then found that they would hold £1k and take 30 days to send any money to us. Those were interesting times. We quickly migrated the entire operation to our primary systems (Protx, now Sagepay) and haven't looked back.

I highly recommend Protx. 2-3 days reconciliation, no 'reserve' amount, no complex fees. Just £20/month or 10p/transaction depending on your level. The next step is to get our Barclays merchant rates to decent levels, they want a meeting in-branch and I simply don't have the time. Amazing how you can do anything else over the phone, especially since they admit the branch staff are numpties....I've been by a branch on the phone to them and the girl said don't go in :p

What Sage will do to it is anyone's guess, but all seems good so far.

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 By: Dominic Taylor Member since: Jun 19, 2008
  5. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,345 2,078
    Keep in mind, everyone, that this thread is actually over four years old. Things change, fees change, special offers come and go.

Posted: Jul 3, 2009 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  6. tevysim

tevysim UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    It is very interesting discussion. it seems to me that all of you have different experience with those payment system.

Now, it is hard for me to choose payment system because i just start e-commerce.

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 By: tevysim Member since: Sep 4, 2009
  7. sanctu9

sanctu9 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    For those of you who find that paypal and ebay are not good to deal with they are both owned by the same company I believe the same company that now owns skype who for no reason whatsoever take money out of your account for themselves if it is in there unused for over 3 months. Basically they are a law unto themselves and I have stayed well clear of any dealings with all those companies... shame really skype was pretty amazing prior to being bought out as was ebay...

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 By: sanctu9 Member since: Sep 22, 2009
  8. tevysim

15 0
    you mean that i should not use paypal, right?

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: tevysim Member since: Sep 4, 2009
  9. sanctu9

sanctu9 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    well of course you can use them if you like but I myself don't.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: sanctu9 Member since: Sep 22, 2009
  10. tevysim

15 0
    so how is your solution of payment system in order to make truth to buyer?

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: tevysim Member since: Sep 4, 2009
  11. GTrotter666

GTrotter666 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

62 6
    We used to use PayPal. However their fees are relatively expensive. We now use Protx (Sage) and a merchant account with our bank. Makes debit card payment a hell of alot cheaper to accept and a small saving on credit cards.

I also found too many rejected transactions on PayPal (resulting in abandoned carts) which seems to have reduced with our new setup :)

Gary

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 By: GTrotter666 Member since: Jul 8, 2009
  12. skyhi2

skyhi2 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

854 160
    Someone pointed out earlier in the thread ( well,it has been running for years :),that Paypal was only used by Fleabayers and people buying old tat.

My,how things have changed.

It`s now probably the most used checkout system on the net ( sure someone will correct me if i am wrong ).

It is now being used by quite a lot of Chinese Manufacturing houses,and getting as popular as Western Union.

Love it,or hate it,it is by far the most "popular" out there.

The Chinese in particular have a very different outlook on trading.

Take Western Union for example,frowned upon in the west ( usually ) as a breeding ground for scammers and the like,most Chinese suppliers use it as the " norm ".

Just my 2 cents.

Skyhi2

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    Posted: Sep 24, 2009 By: skyhi2 Member since: Sep 9, 2009
  13. sonofeve

sonofeve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 1
    All,

Are there any reasons or indeed any traps to avoid when applying for a merchant account? Are there any reasons why they would refuse to grant any business a merchant account?

Many thanks in advance

Nigel

Posted: Sep 27, 2009 By: sonofeve Member since: Sep 27, 2009
  14. websitedesign

websitedesign UKBF Newcomer Free Member

87 11
    90% of websites will not require merchant accounts because of the expense in time and money.

For most sites a simple PayPal 'Buy Now!' button will work the best.
    -globally accepted and trustworthy (unlike most smaller payment processors)
    -don't need anything to set up and only takes a few minutes to insert code in website
    -fees are per transaction and low compared to the alternatives

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 By: websitedesign Member since: Aug 8, 2009
  15. quikshop

3,705 720
    Any shop that does not offer full card payment facilities through the more trusted UK payment service providers and just offer PayPal will be losing potential customers.

Compared to what!? UK payment service providers are always cheaper than PayPal when used with a merchant account, often significantly cheaper.

That is exactly why more seasoned online shoppers will avoid PayPal-only shops, anyone can set up a PayPal account with no credit or fraud checking.

With UK payment service providers you have to be financially viable to open an account.

PayPal is fine to trial a shop concept and to offer as an alternative means of payment but if you want your customers to take your shop seriously, offer them full card payment options through a UK based service.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Posted: Sep 28, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  16. websitedesign

websitedesign UKBF Newcomer Free Member

87 11
    I agree that if you are a company and sell large quantities of products online then registering for a merchant account is the best option....locally in the UK, even better.

"UK payment service providers are always cheaper than PayPal when used with a merchant account, often significantly cheaper."

How much does it cost to setup a merchant account and pay a designer/coder to implement a full service shopping cart into a website?

This isn't free or cheap.

Sure the cost per transaction is lower once the merchant account is set up compared to PayPal... but overall is it really cheaper for most websites? For most it is not.

PayPal is guaranteed payment and it is really hard to rip people off. 9/10 times they agree with the buyer when disagreements arise and they do offer full refunds in such cases...

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 By: websitedesign Member since: Aug 8, 2009
  17. quikshop

3,705 720
    The last merchant account we set up with RBSWorldpay was free and their payment service is already integrated into the Ecommerce platform we use, so zero cost to us.

You'll find that most UK payment services are easily or already integrated into popular open source and hosted Ecommerce solutions so there really is no major financial barrier to obtaining a merchant account and accepting card payments online.

Don't get me wrong, PayPal has its place and is a useful option to offer customers as an alternative but its a poor second to UK payment options for UK based retailers.

From a merchants point of view we actually removed the PayPal option for customers some months back from our martial arts shop and we've not seen any drop in orders at all, if anything there has been a steady increase although that's probably due other activities.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  18. sonofeve

sonofeve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 1
    Has anyone heard of Crystal Payments based in Mauritius?

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 By: sonofeve Member since: Sep 27, 2009
  19. payment gateway

payment gateway UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    These days there are so many companies offering online payment solutions, its hard to know which one to go for. I think the biggest issue when choosing an online payment processor is how reliable they are. With the amount of online fraud going on, you need a payment gateway that is secure and that you customers can trust. So shop around, find out what other e-commerce websites are using and make an informed decision.

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 By: payment gateway Member since: Oct 5, 2009
  20. Silky

Silky UKBF Ace Full Member

1,170 210
    We chose Paypal....secure, well known..... and now we find they're out an out bully boys. They're currently reviewing our account and have put this on block for 5 whole weeks now (after our best year ever!)
    http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=127915

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet but will do so, we're now desperately looking for a second payment processor if not a total replacement, Paypal's customer service is nothing short of abysmal. :mad:

Silky

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 By: Silky Member since: Oct 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.