Choosing an Online Payment Processor

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Ozzy, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hijodeputa

hijodeputa UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Took me quite some time to read through all the posts. Thanks to all the advices and sharing.

I want to expand my business to Asia and thinking whether is needed to find a local payment gateway there. Is Paypal popular in Asia? I know Worldpay has its own office in Singapore but I heard from other forums that it is not that well accepted. I found a few other choices. Payment Asia, Enets, Ccavenue etc... Any suggestions?

Also do they have any regulations on taxation? This could also be a headache in long term....

Posted: Sep 18, 2007 By: hijodeputa Member since: Sep 14, 2007
  2. saidexo

saidexo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    There are various payment processors to choose from for a business website. They differ from one another for their some features as well advantages and disadvantages.
    Yeah, maybe most entrepreneurs use paypal, but the fact is that there are still variable alternatives to paypal such as moneybookers, escrow, alertpay, stormpay, e-gold and so on.
    Personally I prefer moneybookers, as in contrast to paypal it is international and available for any country in the world.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 By: saidexo Member since: Apr 23, 2008
  3. Bonnie11

Bonnie11 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    SecureTrading are launching a Merchant Account Service next week at Internet World, with very competitive rates and an introductory offer. It is not showing on their website yet but definitely worth a call. 01248 672075

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 By: Bonnie11 Member since: Apr 23, 2008
  4. owen@westwindmoves

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    We now implement Google Checkout as our preferred solution. Low transaction fees, quality brand and various other goodies such as email invoicing, google checkout icons etc.

Still offer Paypal as an alternative but I can't see how companies like Worldpay are going to retain a market share unless they change.

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 By: [email protected] Member since: Oct 17, 2004
  5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,100 1,702
    We have been using Paypal for the last 2 years and decided, now that the business is up and running, to swap to Secpay.
    Our experience of Paypal is this:
    On the plus side:
    (i) no set up costs or monthly fees. You just pay as you go which is fantastic for a start uo business where you have no idea whether you will make the volumes necessary to justify hefty fees.
    (ii) anyone using Ebay will be familiar with it and it is a very quick checkout process
    (iii) it works in many countries around the world
    (iv) the facility which allows you to send an invoice is useful
    (v) refunds are free and you even get the proportion of the original fee reimbursed to you
    (vi) fraud protection if you send goods up to £500 to a confirmed address by recorded delivery
    (vii) you control when you transfer money to your bank account and you don't need a special business account if you don't want one.

The most annoying of the downsides are:

(i) some people see the work Paypal and immediately log out either because they mistakenly think they need a Paypal account or because they have had a bad experience with Paypal on an Ebay transaction
    (ii) if you have ever had a Paypal acount it recognises your email address and doesn't allow you to pay with another credit/debit card and the customer goes round in circles because they can't remember their log in details
    (iii) they are not interested in fraud. I have reported many instances of fraud to them and they take no action to suspend the account or do anything further.

On balance though it is excellent for a start up business but you must operate your own anti fraud measures which are quite obvious once you get going. Having been stung once, I detected the rest quite easily with some commonsense.

I have now changed to Secpay and am having some teething problems in that my overseas transactions are all failing because the house numbers and postcodes don't match up. I will try to set it at a lower security setting and see of that makes a difference.

Any other tips on Secpay would be much appreciated.

Posted: Jun 3, 2008 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  6. NickLockett

NickLockett UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    We're looking for an on-line payment soution which allows us to take cards for payment and which allows a transaction (verification) code to be used.

This needs to be sent to us and included on the bank statement so that the card transaction can be linked to the account holder.

The transaction on the statement would have the last 4 digits of the user account (***XXXX) and a unique transaction code (YYYYYYY).

i.e. Payment for CCOMMS Account ****XXXX Code YYYYYYYY

Anyone any idea who might provide this?

Looking at over 50k per month in transaction values
    Thanks
    Nick Locket

Posted: Jun 24, 2008 By: NickLockett Member since: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Cheryl

Cheryl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi, really interested to read the options here, we are looking to move forward in this field and have been recommended to take a look at Invapay they can automate invoicing and complete electronic payments. invapay.co.uk are not any of these lists so has anyone heard or had experience with them. They are obviously a smaller company rather than some of the big names in this thread but could that be a good thing???? They also do a pay as you go system so you only pay for the payments made or recieved via the electronic payment system, which would be good for us to start with.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 By: Cheryl Member since: Jul 8, 2008
  8. streetslocal

streetslocal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,046 363
    I wouldnt touch them.
    Established since october,and a basic template website system that does not answer anything really.
    Also the directors have been directors of many dissolved companies!

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 By: streetslocal Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  9. PayPoint net

PayPoint net UKBF Newcomer Free Member

389 70
    Just to let you know that SECPay and Metacharge have re-branded to PayPoint.net. We still offer flexible payment gateway packages to merchants that already have an Internet Merchant Account; if you don’t, we can provide you with a complete solutions package (payment gateway + internet merchant account).

We started processing payments for many of our established merchants when they were just starting out, so check us out and get in contact, even if it's just for a chat to discuss your options.

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 By: PayPoint net Member since: Aug 18, 2008
  10. ukresident

ukresident UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0

SecPay has now rebranded to PayPoint.net

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 By: ukresident Member since: Oct 18, 2008
  11. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    Big advocate of Paypal here used it for 5 years.

Advantages Biggest in the world.

Everyone knows it.

Customers like it as a dispute nearly always goes in there favour.

No overheads monthly charges,do no business pay nowt.

simple to calculate your fee's.

reduced rates the more you sell.

Earl

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  12. Gate2Shop

Gate2Shop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

73 5
    Another to add to the list is g2s.com for handling accounts with or without previous merchant accounts set up. A truely full service provider.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 By: Gate2Shop Member since: Oct 10, 2008
  13. streetslocal

3,046 363
    Really?
    I wonder out loud,do you own or work for that company?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: streetslocal Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  14. redgrape1985

redgrape1985 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

58 6
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I have used both worldpay and PayPal although neither was appropriate for my business. Worldpay are very secure and have a relatively easy online system although their big letdown for me is the deferred settlement they offer. In my case (and I drop-ship) it was 30 days! NOT GOOD as I’m sure you understand about cash flow! PayPal on the other hand are arguably the worst company I have ever done business with although the customers love them as it is (let’s face it) easy and reliable to use. I would recommend protx, in my opinion the best gateway you can get with 2-3 days deferred settlement and an excellent online system, very user friendly.

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: redgrape1985 Member since: Dec 8, 2008
  15. streetslocal

3,046 363
    Its just it could come across as SPAM:eek:

Posted: Dec 8, 2008 By: streetslocal Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  16. e-wiz

e-wiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Has anyone recently used HSBC's electronic end to end payment solution. I'm looking around and want to get sone insight on whether there are issues in integrating their service into websites?

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: e-wiz Member since: Jun 3, 2009
  17. LightingGiants

LightingGiants UKBF Regular Free Member

284 18
    Thanks for this post just what I needed. Im just awaiting to open the bank account will sureley at these payment companies. Im i going the right way are payment companies a better solution to having your own payment thing on your site.

Thanks

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: LightingGiants Member since: Jun 1, 2009
  18. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 718
    Too many unknowns about g2s.com, not entirely sure where their head office is but its not in the UK. There are other threads about this lot worth searching for on which Gate2Shop failed to answer some important questions. Avoid.

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  19. roi_grong

roi_grong UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    i've been using Moneybookers for the last 3 odd years, and I'm very happy with them. I have read complaints elsehwhere, but they have been very good with me.

I also used Paypal for a year, but I don't think their Terms and Conditions are particularly fair. Never had a problem with them either, but I dropped them last year.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 By: roi_grong Member since: Jun 8, 2009
  20. Electronica

Electronica Guest

3 0
    Try Patrasys.com, they are another good provider and have always been good to my business. Paypal never ever allowed us to accept more than £2000 on a single order. Patrasys allows us to transact up to £25000 on a single order.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: Electronica Member since: Apr 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.