Choosing an ecommerce solution

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Faevilangel, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Karl M

Karl M UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    Thank you for a great post! But the question is really rhetorical if we talk about solutions for Amazon sellers. The software or solution usually fit only to the current moment in time. I'm a newborn Amazon seller (It's my first year) and I spent tons of time to research software for FBA sellers because I don't like to pay twice. In many cases when you use two software solution - some features could be in both. Most important is to find a comprehensive directory where you can find most actual products (not a bunch of dead links).
    From my experience, if you want to read some quality review - welcome to Jordi Ordóñez website. It's a deep analytic product review. But if you need to find the right product in the ocean of e-commerce websites you'll need FBA Catalog - on the website listed hundreds of software tools for Amazon sellers. If any Amazon sellers here - please advise the better directories on your opinion.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  2. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 14
    A very well written and informative piece for any business or would-be merchant currently looking to choose the right eCommerce software for them.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  3. Paulo1Chop

Paulo1Chop UKBF Contributor Free Member

89 9
    I think the best advice is to start small with the solution that is user friendly straight off the bat but also has the flexibility to be scaled as and when you're ready

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 By: Paulo1Chop Member since: Jul 12, 2019
  4. MarkHenry19

MarkHenry19 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 2
    got a lot of information. For this Shopify is my best choice. It features and other things are just awesome.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: MarkHenry19 Member since: Jul 13, 2019
  5. EddyRock

EddyRock UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 2
    Thank you for the great post. I will choose an open source eCommerce platform :)

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 By: EddyRock Member since: Jul 23, 2019
  6. zigojacko

zigojacko I say it how it is Full Member - Verified Business

3,558 1,132
    Following on from the original post back in 2014 now, just this week, I put together an article over at LinkedIn that lists the current eCommerce software and platforms available today with a bit of information about each (the main ones for now but I do plan to continue adding, extending and updating the article).

It should prove useful to any businesses looking to venture into eCommerce and set up an eCommerce website, especially perhaps for those less web-savvy business owners where it can often prove a minefield with the various recommendations, platforms, hosting types, pricing models, supported/maintained/services ones etc etc.

Anyway, hope it's of some use to anyone that stumbles across this thread looking for advice.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ecommerce-solutions-options-2019-geoff-jackson/

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
  7. Karl M

31 0
    Do you ever hear about ashop co?
    It's free and has most of Shopify features. But I like it because it's super simple in setup and use.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,717 9,010
    "Effortless microsites for Amazon Sellers" - Not really a replacement for Shopify.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Karl M

31 0
    That depends on the features you use. For me, it fits perfectly. I'm an Amazon seller only.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  10. Elle Rish

Elle Rish UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    We've been using WordPress for quite long already, as well as Easy Digital Downloads. Works fine on our end. Definitely one of the best eCommerce platform out there!

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: Elle Rish Member since: Aug 2, 2019
  11. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,717 9,010
    EDD is not an eCommerce platform. It's a plugin for digital products - no use at all for anything else.

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 2
    What about wordpress and woocommerce as a solution, what that fall under the Pre-built solution category?

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  13. Karol B

Karol B UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I've been using Prestashop for a number of years. However, once business grows, one should think about self-hosted Magento, for example, in order to have full control over the platform.
    Have in mind companies like IONOS previously known as 1and1 lure you with a cheap hosting offer. Once your business grows, and it's difficult to transfer store somewhere else, they continuously increasing prices.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 By: Karol B Member since: Aug 24, 2019
  14. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,389 584
    Even if money is tight at the start, really do try to avoid cheap hosting. The level of customer service is never very good and when things go wrong they never seem to be on hand. Pay more for a better service! Alex

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  15. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,567 611
    Absolutely.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  16. Karol B

Karol B UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Agree with you totally. This is what i did with my new web services, we pay more but in case of any technical problems there is someone to answer the phone and find quick solution.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: Karol B Member since: Aug 24, 2019
  17. mekondelta

mekondelta UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    Shopify is a hassle free solution but there are subscription costs and the plugin costs will add up if your business takes off. Often less than development costs but it all depends. You will be limited on customisations although the customisations available are extensive.
    Woocommerce is an excellent Wordpress solution and has pretty much what you need to run a basic ecommerce solution. If you are a bit web savvy then its a good choice. The options such as Drupal Commerce, Magento will generally require developers but they are powerful. Same with prestashop, which I have no experience with but I hear good things about. alot of them, at a basic level are pretty comparable, for what they can do out of the box. ecommerce is a big area and it depends on what you are wanting to sell and how you are wanting to sell it. Things get complicated when you want people to be able to pay by deposit, provide details. Scope what you need and compare. Also payment gateways and PCI compliance should be factored in which makes shopify the least likely to give you headaches.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 8:16 AM By: mekondelta Member since: Sep 3, 2019
  18. mekondelta

mekondelta UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    Make sure your hosting is PCI compliant. I build systems on AWS but for low cost solutions, Siteground is the hosting company that I would recommend for cost and technical support. Especially the technical support which is superb.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 8:21 AM By: mekondelta Member since: Sep 3, 2019
  19. SpridaZack

SpridaZack UKBF Contributor Full Member

36 1
    In all honestly, I have found no better out of the box solution than Shopify. It's taken a huge chuck of the market share in the eCommerce platform industry and it is growing.

From the modern designs to the easy to use admin controls, I haven't found anything that even gets close without serious customisations in platforms like Magento or Joomla.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 3:17 PM By: SpridaZack Member since: Sep 13, 2019