Choosing an ecommerce solution

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Faevilangel, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Zoe Williams

Zoe Williams UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 1
    Thanks for the information, really helpful. I have to agree with you that all system have its own advantage and disadvantage. Every website needs are unique; no website will ever be the same as another. Only testing the website solution would help, if the solution is right for you.:)

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 By: Zoe Williams Member since: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Chris Salmon

Chris Salmon UKBF Contributor Full Member

40 5
    Is it possible to become too big for a hosted solution? If so, when do you reach that point? Thanks for posting. great information!

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 By: Chris Salmon Member since: Dec 6, 2017
  3. Bruce.D

Bruce.D UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 4
    It is possible, at some stage, you have to switch to a self-managed solution.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 By: Bruce.D Member since: Jun 22, 2016
  4. Anders Jorgensen

Anders Jorgensen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    I chose Shopify as it's a delight to use and runs without me have to do anything else than growing my business. I can find apps that fits my need. Themes that will not cost me a fortune. Making changes on the fly simple and easy. It's up an running for me 24/7.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: Anders Jorgensen Member since: Feb 5, 2018
  5. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,113 283
    We are now looking for i think the 'impossible', a 'great' web platform that does their own integrated 'amazing' EPOS solution

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  6. artbo

artbo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 1
    With 10 years experience i recomend Magento

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 By: artbo Member since: Mar 11, 2018
  7. Matt_Market_Boosters

Matt_Market_Boosters UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Great advice! I always opt for WooCommerce and WordPress combined for the lower cost option, but I guess low cost isn't always the best!

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 By: Matt_Market_Boosters Member since: Mar 13, 2018
  8. jamesandjanie

jamesandjanie UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 3
    Thanks for the very informative article. I found the first choice - using a customized platform is most popular among SMEs, I'm personally using them too and work well for me, easy and simple to manage.

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 By: jamesandjanie Member since: Feb 21, 2018
  9. Oanders

Oanders UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    In the past yes, but these days there are hosted solutions (e.g. Big Commerce Enterprise or Demandware) that can cope with any size e-commerce. In addition, their API's allows for limitless expansion, configuration and integrations.

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 By: Oanders Member since: Mar 20, 2018
  10. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    You have to invest in this side of your business and that means you will have to take a leap every few years to catch up with things. We have use Intelligent Retail for the last six years and the latest responsive site has had a big impact on sales. They offer knowledgable support and understand the needs of our business. Since they were taken over a few years ago things have really changed and I wouldn't hesitate at recommending them to other retailers from our experience.

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 By: Steve Taylor Member since: Mar 9, 2016
  11. Steve Taylor

5 1
    You're right Matt, Woocommerce is ok when you first start out and don't have much money to invest but when things start to grow you really need to work with a partner that knows what they are doing and gives you the scalability that your business is going to need for the long term. You have to be ready to invest in upgrades as technology evolves, like the change to responsive. It's like who handwrites receipts in-store any more?

12. lesliedocherty

2,113 283
    Intelligent retail, there's much better options out there, i didn't find their system that impressive, functional or anything.

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  13. Steve Taylor

5 1
    Well each to their own. I can only base it on our experience and it's nothing but positive. Development over the last two years has significantly improved their offer and we're benefiting from increased sales because of it.

14. Ecowritingtablet

Ecowritingtablet UKBF Contributor Free Member

40 2
    My point of view is, more and more companies are SEO their websites or their account in Amazon etc to attract more trafic to achieve transaction. and it seems useful method as well.

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 By: Ecowritingtablet Member since: Mar 14, 2018
  15. AJWo

AJWo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    We're an established online retailer and we recently completed a successful migration from Magento to Shopify. We've been really impressed with the out of the box functionality and ease of customisation.

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 By: AJWo Member since: Apr 5, 2018
  16. lesliedocherty

2,113 283
    Ive spoken to a few folk who have migrated over to Shopify and been delighted with the results

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  17. Davidincognac

Davidincognac UKBF Contributor Full Member

54 4
    SALES VERSUS LEAD GEN
    I really like the techy points of view but let's not forget great e-commerce can start with lead generation and wooooh so many websites fall at the first hurdle.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 By: Davidincognac Member since: Apr 9, 2018
  18. HC-Samuel

HC-Samuel UKBF Regular Free Member

150 3
    @AJWo I would be interested in hearing what drove your decision to switch to shopify? We are currently going through the same debate Shopify or Magento 2. We are actually in a unique position in that we have a site that has been designed on both but making the decision one or the other is proving tough.

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 By: HC-Samuel Member since: Jan 14, 2007
  19. Ed Swain

Ed Swain UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 7
    Challenge for Magento at the moment is the transition to Magento 2. The talk is that within 12-18months Magento 1 will cease to be supported from a security patch perspective making any sites still running on it more open to being hacked.

We're looking at re-platforming or moving to Magento 2 at the mo

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 By: Ed Swain Member since: Apr 11, 2018
  20. Jay Shields

Jay Shields UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 3
    + 1 for Shopify

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 By: Jay Shields Member since: Apr 16, 2018