Chinese eBay sellers with UK based stock

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Beachbum, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    This piqued my interest so I consulted my old mucker ...a certain Monsieur. Google...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/16/amazon_and_ebay_will_be_liable_for_traders_evading_vat/

...sound promising, but I can't help feel that it'll make zilch difference. Like I've said before, simply get the likes of Amazon to hive off the VAT from an FBA sellers disbursement.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    More info about the (lame) details towards the foot of this page....

http://tamebay.com/2016/03/budget-2016-ebay-and-amazon-can-be-made-liable-for-seller-vat-fraud.html

...the new rules won't apply to all & sundry & essentially the onus will be on HMRC (remember them ...i.e. the very same HMRC that comes down hard on bog standard UK taxpayers, but if you're a multi national or an overseas seller - you're cool) to identify the worst offenders & if they continue to evade tax, then HMRC might get a bit miffed & then & then etc etc.

Ball, dropped blah blah.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    I'm with you Pish_Pash

One problem is that they got rid of half the staff as some sort of sensible decision - er no no - you do not make cuts in the departments that bring in the money but in those that spend the money

Nothing will happen

We will pay their wages so they can harass us - while those that make - not much effort to stay off the radar will be - er er - not looked for

Until they decide that tax collection is not only a revenue generating option but also a moral duty due to those of us that do pay - then nothing will change

They need skilled and well paid staff going down through levels to the all and sundry

In South Africa they put the tax collection system out to the private sector and collected revenues jumped - because they were motivated by £££

Whereas our easy life civil servants ...

er I had best shut up my blood pressure is getting to high

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  4. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    Essentially the message to foreign sellers as I see it - is scam it until something happens and that wont be much if anything

It would encourage me no end to think ah no problems there - even to the extent of someone thinking maybe I should register for VAT but now I can see there is no need

If they ever say anything - then I have plenty of time to clear stock and vanish
    Then change of name and start again

What a joke

Make the channels responsible and it will all change fast
    But they hide behind the - well we do tell our sellers not to be naughty

Maybe it is time for me to move abroad and join the others stuffing the UK sellers and helping kill them off before the same is done to my own business
    Hmmm

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  5. Percy1980

Percy1980 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 0
    After 7 years of online retailing, I think the whole thing is a bit of a joke. I can't shake the feeling that my business is more like a bad computer game rather than a serious business. The likes of Amazon and eBay constantly move the goalposts, the whole sector changes so incredibly quickly that it's hard to run a busy business AND keep up with it all. Yet problems like this don't seem to show any progress, they just get ignored. It's all on the retailers shoulders, take it or leave it. Retail is becoming the lowest form of business to be in.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 By: Percy1980 Member since: Mar 24, 2015
  6. 14Steve14

14Steve14 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

716 114
    Posted: Sep 17, 2016 By: 14Steve14 Member since: May 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.