China/Asia Sourcing agent

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Andy Hughes, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Andy Hughes

Andy Hughes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi i'm looking at identifying/employing an agent who can assist in the manufacturing of beach footwear. We are seeking to find a manufacturer who will build to our designs on a small scale to start.

Does anyone have any good recommendations please?

Thanks in advance
    Andy

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 By: Andy Hughes Member since: Apr 30, 2019
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,314 870
    Hi Andy

We have sourced beach footwear for customers in various countries.

It's important to remember if you are looking for specific and original under soles and/or inner soles, there will be mould charges to take into account. This charge can often be amortized in the overall cost of the first order. The top can often be made to your own design, colour and material.

Feel free to ask any questions or if you require any advice.

Ron

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Andy Hughes

Andy Hughes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    thanks Ron

how can we best discuss further?

We would want original soul and design so yes would need a mould etc

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 By: Andy Hughes Member since: Apr 30, 2019
  4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,314 870
    You can contact me via the website using the link in my signature below.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Contributor Free Member

94 14
    When sourcing factories to make your product look at a variety of factories, they can differ widely on price but importantly also on quality. We source footwear manufacturers for a number of clients and always ask to see samples before spending money on molds and other expenses. Unless the quantities are large the cost of the the moulds to set up new designs will be a very significant cost so you should be aware of this.

Posted: May 3, 2019 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  6. itSeb

itSeb UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4 1
    I can only agree with the answer above - I saw friends in business struggle very hard with unnecessarily high manufacturing-costs, due to the fact that they customized everything, long before achieving scale. The result was an over-leveraged start-up, that eventually had to sell their hardware for cents on the dollar... Sample very carefully

Posted: May 14, 2019 By: itSeb Member since: Mar 24, 2019
  7. Brucexhy

Brucexhy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    can

Posted: May 29, 2019 By: Brucexhy Member since: Sep 14, 2018
  8. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

350 75
    My suggestions: find 3 suppliers, ask them to quote and make samples, and then compare quality vs price; also, put communication level as one consideration. Then, choose one and do a trial order at MOQ.

Posted: May 30, 2019 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

186 25
    My suggestion.

Consider a non Chinese factory for the following reasons.

IP protection - the Chinese market loves copying stuff and has the experience to move huge volumes at your expense.

Google Bobby anti theft back pack and see how they destroyed a great brand.

It's a huge problem but if you manufactured in another Asian country that problem would be miniscule.

Trade wars - the end is not near this is just the beginning and many footwear companies are already relocating.

Do these other countries have the ability to compete in the EU/North a.erican markets?

Do your own research and check the origin of each of your footwear and the answer is absolutely.

Posted: May 30, 2019 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  10. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,314 870
    Then register your designs and get a legal contract made to protect your IP.

I presume that the brand you mentioned didn't register their design, not had any legal contracts in place.

You think? Asian mentality is the same. get your designs registered and have a legal contract in place, irrespective in what country you manufacture in.

What has trade wars got to do with importing from China to UK? The current trade war is between USA & China.

Yes, but not at the prices that China can offer. Quicker transit time is the only benefit.

Most will be made in China.

The large US Sports companies have opened their own factories in other countries in SE Asia and this is mainly due to rising labour costs in China, so want to screw 'new factories' to the ground with the prices they offer in order to get the contracts.

For a start up wanting to develop their own brand with economical prices, China still leads the way with regards to available materials, efficiency of manufacture and ability to keep prices low. The only downside is you must adhere to an MOQ if you want your own moulds, own materials, own packaging, etc etc.

@Ray272 You may have had an issue with a China supplier that seems to have clouded your view on all China factories.

Due diligence, communication, sampling and a solid contract are ALL important to choosing the correct supplier in China.

Choose the cheapest and without following the above points and you're asking for trouble.

Posted: May 30, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  11. Ray272

186 25
    I import a fair bit from China and I'm providing completely impartial advice, unlike you. This is very important information I feel.

I just picked up 4 pairs of trainers from my shoe rack and now I'm just looking for the way to upload the image of each one.

All purchased from the UK.

None made in China all are German branded shoes known for quality.

2 made in Vietnam
    2 made in Indonesia

I will revert back to my original point with the China sourcing champion.

Simply check your own clothes and see where the goods were made.

Chances are 10% of everyone's wardrobe were made in China. The rest are likely Vietnam Indonesia Cambodia and Bangladesh.

I know as I have performed this exercise.

You only need to do a tiny bit of research to understand why brands are pulling out of China mnfr it's not something that should need to be argued it's a fact and it's a good thing if China bucks it's ideas up.

It says more about you hounding my views than it does about me, to be perfectly honest.

12. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,314 870
    The big boys are not pulling out of China. They are simply looking for cheaper alternatives as China labour rates rise and many factories are installing robots instead of humans as the young Chinese no longer want to work in factories, they want to start their own online business.

China factories now are becoming much more reliant on supplying the China market as this is booming.

China factories are far ahead of their competition, whichever country you choose to compare. It's a case of not choosing cheap, as this will only lead to problems.

Hounding? No. Just offering you some guidance.

I think we differ as we are from different spectrums of the factories we work with.

I wish you well with your business.

13. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

519 95
    What a weird thing to put. If someone gives you an alternative view they are hounding you? Lol

Posted: May 30, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  14. Ray272

186 25
    It is not the first time and what is a 2 minute response from me comes a formatted overture of responses. I have no problem discussing matters but he seems to ignore some very strong evidence.

Claims on one hand China is the most competitive then starts talking about cheap. There's only 1 voice coming from this guy and if his name was myofficeincambodia I doubt he would be backing China so much.

30 years is a long time and times change the best we can do is adapt to the surroundings. Those "cheap will encounter problems" are just quotes passed down from one salesman to another and if you cannot see a salesman patter in the responses then: buyer beware.

For the record and to get back on topic.

I believe China not to be the epicentre of garment and shoe production and evidence suggests this too. From a personal experience I do not rate Chinese produced garments or footwear.

15. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,314 870
    Epicentre? No.

They just have the largest turnover of containers departing to the west than all the other countries combined that you have mentioned above.

Lets agree to disagree on this topic and move on . . . . .unless you want to have the last word.

16. Ray272

186 25
    Yes I would like the last word on this actually but I don't want this to be it.

What I want is actual proof of garment and shoe manufacturing in China that is not deemed lower quality.

I'm in Asia 90% of the time and I see a lot of made in China branded goods here.

The strange thing is I buy all clothes from the UK and never see the same scale of Chinese produced goods anywhere on virtually any brand.

My point is; I believe China is the option brands choose to produce goods which are going to less developed countries to make them affordable. So whilst the brand and product may look the same I don't believe the quality is anywhere near the same.

This is my main point so it kind of quashes your quality statement and my only request which you continually ignore. Is look at your labels on your clothes and a large percentage and made elsewhere in Asia, maybe not if you like shopping at places like Primark.

This spectrum you speak of, spectrums are no longer in production, this is the digital age all the data is out there just flying around you just gotta know how to grab it.

17. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,314 870
    LOL

Spectrum = "Used to classify something, or suggest that it can be classified, in terms of its position on a scale between two extreme or opposite points".

Where do you think some of the top international brands have their goods made?

I'll give you a clue . . . . . .it ain't Cambodia!

18. Ray272

186 25
    Well you certainly talk but I suspect you cannot walk.

I'm all ears sir, please enlighten me on all the brands (clothing and footwear) who are producing IN China for the EU and North American markets.

I await your detailed response. Forgive me if I do not hold my breath.

This is your time now, your next response is a critical one. Will he walk?

19. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

4,314 870
    "The next on my list of high end brands who aren’t afraid of labeling their products “Made in China” (or any other country those products are produced it) is, of course, Armani – a brand that’s produces fashion for all pockets and price ranges. Your gorgeous Armani watch might say “Made in China” and the same goes for many other items such as jeans or Armani Exchange pieces".

"A lot of media dust had been raised once this popular British brand announced the decision to close the production in Wales and relocate it in Asia or America! Shocking? Outrageous? Nope, ladies, the word we’re looking for here is “Profitable”! This decision had put this, once quite traditional, brand on the list of many high end brands who now produce some of their goods in China and, although some find that very disappointing, reading various forums made me realize there are still tons of people who don’t really care, as long as the quality stays the same, of course!"

"Mulberry bags start at about $900 but could end up costing you more than $5,000 which many folks consider outrageous, especially now, when it’s widely known this is one of those high end brandswho doesn’t mind stamping their leather goods “Made in China”. I, personally, don’t mind as long as they do it in a way that makes both their customers and their employees happy!"

"Popular, commercial, relatively inexpensive Marc by Marc Jacobs line could have a “Made in China” label so, if you bought your MJ goodies in the official store, this tiny details definitely shouldn’t make you question their authenticity. Furthermore, fashion consultant Brent Klein confirmed this, stating that Marc Jacobs bags really are made in China although the leather used to make them is imported from Italy. Does that mean even those uberexpensive bags could have the “Made in China” label? Apparently, yes and… Guess what? It’s really not such a big deal!"

"There is a strong possibility that your beloved Prada bag is made in China! Surprising? Not really, especially if you’re a true Prada fan that likes to be informed about everything and anything involving this brand. Miuccia Prada is actually one of very few high end brands owners that was actually looking forward to moving part of the production to China (as well as various other countries) stating that: (and I quote) “Sooner or later, it will happen to everyone because [Chinese manufacturing] is so good.”

"Those fabulous Coach bags we ladies love so much are produced in China nowadays and although some long- time Coach fans say this was a very bad move, others really don’t really care where they beloved bags come from. People who had a chance to visit Coach Factories in China claim they are a very nice place to work in so, if Coach really manages to satisfy the needs of both workers and customers, I’d say, let them enjoy the extra profit."

The fact is that many of the international brands outsource their manufacturing in China and then 'finish' them off in Italy, France etc, so they can legally say Made In Italy, Made In France etc etc

Most of the international jean brands manufacture in China (as well as Turkey).

4 out of the top 5 selling phone brands are manufactured in China.

I can go on . . . . . .

20. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Contributor Free Member

97 17
    I can recommend Imex China Trade Ltd (Nancy Myers). They will be able to help you with everything you need and Nancy is lovely to work with and has great experience in this sector.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018