Chasing someone for payment

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by anonuk, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anonuk

anonuk UKBF Regular Free Member

302 44
    I'll try to keep it short...basically, we did some work for a regular customer 8 months ago. He'd always paid on collection and we never had any problems with him. However, since doing the work 8 months ago, he's now started using another company and has decided he needn't pay us for the work we did.

We have been chasing him constantly with no resolution and now all efforts of communication are being ignored.

He runs 4 businesses, for which we have the addresses of all 4. The work was actually for 2 of the businesses but he's since sold one of the businesses, and we've previously written to all 4 addresses AND his accountants address (where his new ltd company is registered), and have had zero reply.

The letters we sent were 7 day notices and we now wish to issue a court claim for each of the invoices he owes (one was due from a business he co-owns and one from a business a owned alone then sold).

So, for the business he co-owns, can we issue the court claim to the business address that the work was for or do we need to find his personal address? Also, can we issue the claim to both proprietors of the business or just the one we had dealings with?

Where can I issue the claim for the other job to? Can I do that to the same business address as his 'last known address'?

At the time of us doing the work his businesses were sole trader/partnerships.

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Lisa Thomas

Lisa Thomas UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

3,605 468
    How much does he owe?

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 By: Lisa Thomas Member since: Apr 20, 2015
  3. anonuk

302 44
    It’s only £230 (£185 for the one job and £45 for the one where he’s sold the business) but it’s the principle now.

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,717 3,944
    You are taking the wrong attitude in 2 ways.

You have never traded with 'him'. You have traded with 2 separate limited companies ( assuming they were all limited companies). The companies are the debtors. You claim against the companies at their registered addresses, with a supplementary address if you had an altrnative invoicing address.

You are expending far too much energy on pursuing an insignificant amount of money. It does not make financial sense and business is about money, not about principles.

Incidentally, if you wre always, previously, paid on collection, how were the goods collected without payment?

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. anonuk

302 44
    Did you read my original post? I specified that at the time of doing the work they were not limited conapn

It may be an insignificant amount of money to some but to me it would pay my van insurance for 6 months or electric bill at our unit for 2 months so why should I let him off scott free?

We had been working with him for a number of years so trusted him. Just goes to show you can trust nobody in business.

6. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,717 3,944
    Sorry, I missed your last line. I was basing it on you introducing the concept of his new limited company, which is a complete irrlevance. Issue the claim against him personally, t/a whatever name, at his traing address.

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  7. anonuk

302 44
    Sorry, I just re read my reply and it sounded somewhat rude which wasn’t my intention.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.