General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Changing supply from China to the UK

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ChrisKent, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ChrisKent

ChrisKent UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi guys im hoping for some advice,
    I recently found a new chinese supplier that keeps stock in the UK and is quite competetive, i want to start buying from him so i dont have to import anymore.

My worry is that ill be paying a chinese company still but all of a sudden stop paying import VAT, what's my proof im now getting goods shipped to me directly from a UK warehouse and not China?

The invoice ive been given gives the businsses registered address in china not the UK warehouse the goods will be dispatched from. I cant see the dispatch address mentioned anywhere.

Is there a domestic version of an airway bill?

Thanks for any help

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: ChrisKent Member since: Oct 12, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,765 1,018
    The Chinese supplier storing goods in the UK should be VAT registered anyway.
    However if the goods are being sent from China then surely you'll have import VAT?

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. ibuprofen

ibuprofen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    It doesn't matter who's invoicing you - if the goods are not being imported by you then you have nothing to show or prove. As long as the quantities/items on the invoice tally up with what you actually received - doesn't matter where they are coming from.

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 By: ibuprofen Member since: Apr 14, 2016
  4. ADW

ADW UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,118 167
    I would have thought if you are being invoiced from a Chinese company y with Chinese address then you are still importing. The fact that they have stock sent to you from the UK then that is down to them and their logistics. Sounds like they are not entirely operating correctly and above board for UK rules on this. I have a similar supplier where I can buy from China or UK but I am then invoiced from different companies from the relevant country. I pay import duties etc. from China and just vat from UK branch.

Posted: Oct 13, 2018 By: ADW Member since: Oct 25, 2007
  5. ChrisKent

3 0
    Thats my worry, everything stays the same but i just stop paying import VAT. Surely it will look like ive just not paid it :/

Posted: Oct 13, 2018 By: ChrisKent Member since: Oct 12, 2018
  6. ADW

ADW UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,118 167
    Might be best posting this in the Accountants section or asking a mod to move it there. You need the correct answer and not opinion of non professionals.

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 By: ADW Member since: Oct 25, 2007
  7. ChrisKent

3 0
    Thanks, how can i get it moved?

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 By: ChrisKent Member since: Oct 12, 2018
  8. Steve L

Steve L UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Unless the Chinese company is holding the stock in a customs warehouse in the UK (i.e. not paying import duty until the goods are released into free circulation) then they must be registered in the UK to be holding and selling stock from a UK address.
    Either the way, the import duty isn't of your responsibility if you are purchasing from an ex works / FCA UK address.

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 By: Steve L Member since: Oct 15, 2018