Changes to a Sales Agents customers and commission %

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by rlellie14, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlellie14

rlellie14 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    Hi
    I work for a company which has used an agent (UK based dealing with UK customers) for several years. He receives a commission based on a % of the sales that he generates for several customers. Some questions:
    1. Where do we stand if we wish to take a customer off him to give another agent a crack at it?
    2. Where do we stand if we wish to reduce the % in commission he is making for each of these customers?
    Depending on answers the following questions may apply to both of the above:
    a. Are we legally obliged to pay him compensation for any such changes?
    b. If so how would the compensation be calculated?​

Help much appreciated!

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 By: rlellie14 Member since: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,193 3,474
    Is he contracted regarding percentages and customers?

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

15,402 4,227
    Read the contract. No one else can tell you what is in the contract

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  4. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

3,366 879
    You have a contract with this agent (either in writing or verbally). Once a contract is formed it can't be unilaterally changed. Both parties must agree, unless there are specific clauses in the contract that would allow one party to change the contract. So, it depends on what the contract says.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  5. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,300 318
    Happens quite a lot with fashion agents, the agent spend years building an area for a brand, the brand gets sick of paying 10% and realise its cheaper to employ someone, so they bump the agent.

Agent gets the union involved, and brand realise they need to pay compensation, so they pay the compensation.
    Employ a salesperson, 2 -3years later they realise that sales are way below what they were (they now have a salaried non incentivised employee), so they decide to go back to having an agent again.
    Yet again, a lot of agents aren't great, depends on the contract.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  6. AlanJ1

AlanJ1 UKBF Regular Free Member

182 27
    And the compensation is huge if the agent has been working for you for more than 2 years.
    Personal case I know of where this happened and agent took to court, compensation for 2 years worth of commission was given.

For the OP, it will come down to the contract, if it isn't there then you will have no way of amending it (they aren't going to agree to losing a customer or a lower % commission, I mean why would they?)

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 By: AlanJ1 Member since: Jul 25, 2018
  7. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,284 885
    Further to the above advice you also need to calculate the damage this could cause with any other agents you have, or wish to in the future. Such agents tend to know each other well, a couple of phone calls and your company might struggle to get anyone to work in the future.

I used to use an agent in the electrical wholesale business, he had a large company do the same to him. End result I switched all the business to his new suppliers at cheaper rates, I used and dealt with the agent, not the end companies. Many others did the same.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  8. rlellie14

rlellie14 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    Thanks all. Agreement with agents pre-dates me so directors are hunting for his contract right now! Will let you know what I find.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 By: rlellie14 Member since: Oct 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.