Cfl freebies have given them a bad name.

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Rhyl Lightworks, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    When the government subsidised compact fluorescent energy saving light bulbs, mainly through energy companies, they gave out free very cheap cfl light bulbs, which most people did not like, because of low power, taking a long time to reach full brightness, size, etc. and this has given them a bad name. The best bulbs I have ever seen have been cfls, but they are slightly more expensive than the cheap ones, but still are ecomonically viable.

Now LED lighting is becoming more practical and popular, I hope they don't make the same mistake.

Barrie

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  2. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    Are the cfl lights the ones that burn your face off if they explode? or something equally as gruesome as reported by the Daily Mail?

I've yet to see any good quality energy saving bulbs, the ones they have are energy saving because they don't use any energy, they're as much use as a candle at the bottom of a lake and by the time they actually produce a speck of light you've finished what you were looking for in the room...using a torch....after tripping over a stool and smashing your face against a picture frame.

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  3. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,295 237
    The freebies were horrible, I've still got loads and can't get rid of them! The first one I bought gave a good light, a good colour and lasted over 10 years. I don't use the freebies! The newer ones do come on faster, but still slower than an old style bulb. I've still got some old style bulbs in places I need instant light, but I will be replacing them with LEDs as I've been told they are instant.

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    In our shop we have 2 cfls side by side - the ones given out for free and a high colour temp. better one. Everyone who sees them is very impressed by the difference, We sell the better ones, and anyone who is interested pm me for a link. When buying a cfl look for a high colour temp. (at least 4000K and preferably 6000+K) as well as a high wattage - I think the colour temp. is more important. They also come on faster (take about 1 second to reach full brightness) and are no more prone to explode than the old incandescent bulbs - one would expect the DM to not like them, just as it doesn't like anything that doesn't take us back to the 1950s.

True they use less energy - that is the point of them - but they use energy in a different way, not using the vast majority of the energy as heat instead of light as did the old incandescent bulbs and for that matter halogens, which manufacturers and others claim (erroneously) to be low energy.

Barrie

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.