CE Marking

Discussion in 'International Business' started by J.McVeigh, Apr 19, 2018.

1. J.McVeigh

J.McVeigh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

28 3
    Hey guys and gals,

I am currently in China visiting a few factories sourcing construction industry products.

Some of the factories have CE certification while others have ISO9001 (still to be checked and confirmed for due diligence). Some have neither.

What is the process when dealing with companies who haven't CE marked their products? Am I right in thinking that it is the buyers responsibility to ensure CE compliance? Therefore, is it possible to ensure CE conformity if the factory hasn't?

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good reading material to get my head around the topic?

Thanks!

James

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 By: J.McVeigh Member since: Mar 20, 2018
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,814 761
    You are responsible to ensure the products you import are safe and have the correct certificates and appropriate markings.

My advice is to have someone 'on the ground' to have your products independently tested (where feasible) and certificates are in your name.

You should not rely on the testing certificate a factory provides you with unless it shows clearly the exact product, date and batch number which relate to your orders/invoices.

Some products will require specific testing, while others will need minimal testing, it really depends on the product you are importing.

You can approach an international testing agency (Intertek or SGS) based in either China or UK for their advice regarding the products you want to import and see how they compare to each other. Remember, they make their money on testing, so each can give you a varying list of certificates required.

You will also find that the more factories you visit, the more you will learn about each factory's production processes, internal quality controls, organisation and who will be your main person for communication, which is vital when working with a China supplier.

Good luck.

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,064 139
    Yes (the importers responsibility) and yes (you can have them tested). If the latter make sure that series production is to the same spec as the test samples!

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

336 74
    Just to remind, many of the CE certificates factories present to you are vague and not updated. For example, the CE certificate may only show a specific product which is not same as the products you are after, and the testing might be done 3 years ago.

The safest way is to get a few samples (make sure the samples represent your actual mass production), and get the samples tested at a trustworthy lab (such as ITS, SGS), and clearly show your company name, brand, model, and product picture on the test report. In this case, you need to pay for the testing.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012