Career in Science is back on the cards!

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by Faith28, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Faith28

Faith28 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,107 151
    Press Release – 11th April 2006
    For immediate release

---BEGINS---

A CAREER IN SCIENCE IS BACK ON THE CARDS

Following the recent budget, Gordon Brown has promised to attract more science teachers into our schools. But will it encourage more pupils to take up science based subjects for their degree as the basis of their future careers?

A new project is taking place in England and Wales which aims to do just that. In order to encourage more pupils to consider science as a viable career option ‘Careers in Science’ cards are being developed.

‘Careers in Science’ cards have been created by a group of science teachers in direct response to the flagging numbers. Led by former Woodbridge High School teacher, Mrs Eiman Munro has set up a new enterprise using playing cards to make learning fun. “Our new project aims to bring more awareness about the variety of exciting careers that await pupils who choose science subjects for A-levels and degrees as the basis of their future.”

Each card will have a fun illustration and description of a particular career. Businesses and major organisations are invited to sponsor a card for their relevant industry so for example the Pharmacist card is sponsored by Boots. Pupils can then contact the respective sponsors for further information and possibly obtain work experience too. There are over 30 career cards to choose from. It is anticipated that every school in England and Wales will receive these packs next autumn.

Sponsorship packs are available for all potential sponsors interested by e-mailing [email protected]. The question is which career the joker card will be!

------ENDS------
    Editor’s notes

For further information contact Eiman Munro on 020 8550 9233 [email protected]
    Eiman Munro has set up a new education enterprise called Loop Card Games which delivers Science cards for schools around the country.

Posted: Apr 11, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  2. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,534 930
    You should do a Scientist Top Trumps.

Thomas Edison: Number of inventions.... 1093

Posted: Apr 19, 2006 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  3. Faith28

2,107 151
    Hi Mat,

Thanks for the idea. I've already got permission from Winning Moves Uk Ltd, the owners of Top Trumps, to create a Physics version. Also I know that Chemistry Trumps has been published already based on the periodic table. I am currently developing the careers cards in a similar format.

I'm really excited about this project because I have already got the interest of Boots, Rolls Royce, British Energy, BP, Chessington World of Adventures and Bentley Motors will discuss it in their meeting :lol: this week!

The only thing that is slowing me down is lack of time to call all the companies I have in mind. But I am perservering.
    But so far very good feedback and some definites from major companies to sponsor a card!

Take care,
    Eiman

Posted: Apr 19, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  4. Faith28

2,107 151
    Yey! New Scientist want to sponsor a card!

4 down 26 to go!

Posted: May 16, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  5. Faith28

2,107 151
    And the Botanist card has been booked!

Posted: May 18, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  6. Faith28

2,107 151
    wow! Merrill Lynch are VERY interested too, and RSC...

I've got 6 booked awaiting for anther 6 or so now.

I've also sub-contracted some of the work so while I'm away in Canada next week the project will still continue, yey.

Posted: Jun 6, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  7. Faith28

2,107 151
    Update on additional sponsors;
    Vodafone,
    Npower (just to finalise),
    Institute of Physics (subject to a condition that I achieve 29 other sponsors!)

Posted: Jun 28, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  8. SuffolkDesigns

SuffolkDesigns UKBF Old Timer Full Member - Verified Business

2,762 360
    Sounds like you are doing well ! Keep up the good work !!

Posted: Jun 28, 2006 By: SuffolkDesigns Member since: Jul 5, 2005
  9. Faith28

2,107 151
    Thanks, I've also got Rolls Royce and the Institute of Animal Technology too!

I'm 50% of the way. Just need 10 more to go ahead with the project.

Posted: Jun 28, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  10. Faith28

2,107 151
    It's official nPower are sponsors!

Posted: Jun 29, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  11. Faith28

2,107 151
    I'm happy to say that the cards have been sponsored and here is a taster of what is to come

[​IMG]

The website is not up yet but will be soon.

Can't wait to get them in my hands! They're now being printed as we speak (I hope)!

Posted: Dec 9, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  12. fastfences

fastfences Banned

2,556 2
    Great news, Mrs M. I guess you will be taking Steve's lead (Goldcentre Steve) and now conduct your postings from a laptop in airport lounges around the world!!

Cheers, Nigel

Posted: Dec 9, 2006 By: fastfences Member since: May 22, 2005
  13. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14,849 2,100
    Congratulations! I really like the graphics and the whole idea. Let us know when they're available.

Posted: Dec 9, 2006 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  14. Faith28

2,107 151
    I really can't believe how long it's taken to get to this point...it's been since April 11th of this year since I posted the first message on here.

The cards are designed in Canada by a very talented paper based games designer and illustrator.

The next pack is the Top Careers in the Motor Industry and a few others already on the pipeline to form the series. I've got a meeting with a leading company in this sector in January to discuss the game itself.

Amazing how relatively easy it is to get major companies like British Airways, Vodafone on board although it did take a LOT of perseverance.

The setback at the moment is the lack of time to take the project to the next stage. I probably worked on average 5 hours/week on this project from April - now (if that). So it really is frustrating not to be able to do the things that could create more games. I tell you it's fun!!

Anyway that's neither here nor there, the Top Careers In Science card game pack will be coming out in January 2007 and a mailing campaign to 6,100 will be made to all the secondary schools in the UK to obtain one free pack per school.

Posted: Dec 9, 2006 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  15. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,445 3,069
    That's a great achievement!

Posted: Dec 9, 2006 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  16. Faith28

2,107 151
    :) thanks CJD...sorry just wanted to show a point that I wasn't really established then and managed to get in touch with various decision makers. Hence why I've resurrected this thread.

Although a new press release should be out soon.

Posted: May 29, 2008 By: Faith28 Member since: Dec 2, 2005
  17. Team Leith Training

Team Leith Training UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,460 265
    LOOP i am director of the Online Astronomy Society www.onlineastronomysociety.com let me know if we can help with anything as we are loosely in the same game :)

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 By: Team Leith Training Member since: May 8, 2011