Carbonated drink company

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Bewdy, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:39 AM.

1. Bewdy

Bewdy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

115 11
    I’m starting to research getting a carbonated drink business off the ground. Has anyone on this forum any experience on what is required to get a product from concept stage, right through to market shelves? I’m curious about the steps required to meet food and beverage quality standards particularly, as well as maintaining health and safety aspects with bottling and also ingredient labelling etc.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 2:39 AM By: Bewdy Member since: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,326 2,096
    I think it's fair to say that all the small independents have been either brought out or gone bust since the 1960's

It would be very hard to get your product inside supermarkets

You could start by making a syrup for use in say soda stream machines if they are still around as a starter, but never forget the power of the big boys to copy and maybe improve on your product if they see any potential sales

My first question would be how much money do you have to market the product, and secondly have you looked at the price of a similar product and tried to breakdown the costs of each production part, cost to manufacture, cost of components, costs of transport, cost of marketing, coast of sales etc, the syrup is a tiny fraction of the sale price

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 10:23 AM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. hotchy

hotchy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    There is independent companys out there. The kids are going wild for venom energy juice right now in scotland. Originally they done alcohol but I think dragon soop must have killed there venom sales with there own venom. Now they have an energy drink and doing well.

Plus theres posh sort of cans brewed in farms sold in aldi etc they will buy some if it's well priced, they buy small craft beers, and bottles of that farm stuff. It's got to be nice obviously.

Btw you should attempt to make a similar version of irn bru but call it Full sugar Bru.

Yes it most probably will not be as good but get the full 38g of sugar per 100ml and itll sell. Irm bru sales here have fell off a cliff since they removed the sugar while coca cola has sky rocketed. Theres a gap if you can get something similar.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 1:21 PM By: hotchy Member since: Mar 10, 2016
  4. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,626 1,602
    Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 7:54 PM By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Paulo1Chop

Paulo1Chop UKBF Contributor Free Member

53 3
    Good luck with that, hope you don't fall 'flat';) on your face!

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 8:39 PM By: Paulo1Chop Member since: Jul 12, 2019
  6. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Contributor Free Member

88 13
    Don't be put off by negative comments. If it's your dream go for it, but do your homework carefully and identify what makes your product special and different from all the rest out there. Regarding your question, one small point to consider is the bottle you want to put it in. Being distinctive can really help your branding and appeal. We help a number of companies source glass bottles, tops and labels from China. It's cost effective and we work with your chosen bottling plant to make it a seamless process. - Just something worth considering as cost control is vital in this industry.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  7. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 12
    This is a very competitive market with a number of well established players with lots of capital behind them already. You will need a rock solid product/plan and total dedication to your business to succeed. I would advise doing some research into the ins and outs first.

Here looks like a great place to start: http://www.britishsoftdrinks.com/Launching-a-Soft-Drink

I hope you succeed!

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:35 PM By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  8. Energise Accounting

Energise Accounting UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

992 164
    You will need loads of capital for marketing.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 2:58 PM By: Energise Accounting Member since: Sep 24, 2014
  9. StefanChelt

StefanChelt UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    There's a small firm in Wales that's making unlikely progress with the major supermarkets - although according to their website they've been around for 125 years+. Have a google / Facebook search for "Lowes soft drinks".
    Stocked in ASDA and Morrisons throughout Wales and now being trialled in some English branches of ASDA.

It looks like a lot of hard work judging by their Facebook posts. They seem to handle restocking the stores through their own reps rather than using the supermarket's distribution model.

Good luck - as others have said the independents are rarer and rarer, but exceptions do exist.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 3:22 PM By: StefanChelt Member since: Jul 15, 2019
  10. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Regular Free Member

465 112
    Karma Cola is an inspiring business. I wouldn't worry about the established players if you are doing something authentic, original and interesting - and it tastes good!

Consumers increasingly prefer real companies with real values.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
  11. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,161 290
    Added that qualifier in italics - I'm rather disillusioned about consumers' gullibility and naiivety, and marketing cynicism.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009