Carbon stamping of website

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by JonathanMP, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonathanMP

JonathanMP UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 2
    Hi all

I was wondering whether there is anything preventing me from placing a small carbon neutral stamp on my website showing that I am conscious of the environment?

It is a a small online consultancy business so not churning out masses amounts of waste so I'm sure I would class as neutral to some effect.

Also as there is an array of these stamps online, are there any specific ones to stay away from and any preferred one in which to use?

Many thanks for any help and feedback on the matter.

Regards

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 By: JonathanMP Member since: Apr 24, 2013
  2. danp

danp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    I'm no expert on website laws, but from an ethical viewpoint you would have to ensure that your website doesn't create any emissions whatsoever. Which would mean your servers and your computer equipment would need to be powered 100% from renewable energy. Either that or you are taking steps to negate the emissions you make. Such as carbon schemes or investing in micro generation elsewhere. It's not enough to say you are conscious of the environment to be able to state you are carbon neutral. You would have to undergo an analysis of all of the energy used by you and your employees which is unlikely to ever be neutral unless you are generating electricity somewhere. You can sign up to a green energy company such as ecotricity who have 100% renewable tariffs which would go some way to mitigate teh energy usage but if your employees drive to the office that is still emitting a whole lot of carbon which you have negate with something that removes carbon.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    Posted: Nov 27, 2013 By: danp Member since: Oct 14, 2013
  3. JonathanMP

JonathanMP UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 2
    Good feedback - cheers Dan

Posted: Nov 27, 2013 By: JonathanMP Member since: Apr 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.