CAPTCHAs Anyone ?

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Fagin2021, Feb 18, 2021.

1. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,946 313
    You click the "none" on every captcha I have ever seen like that. It always works for me.

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,193 3,472
    I can sometimes go through 3 or 4. Sometimes I simply move on then unable to access - few sites are such I must spend time going through such idiotic blocks.

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,771 1,873
    I know some one that has developed a Captcha free anti spam solution for most WordPress forms. And it really works.

|
    |
    V

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  4. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,994 481
    @Mr D it helps a lot if you stay logged into Google. Very likely by design - they can track you a lot better that way - a lot of sites use recaptcha, most load something from Google.

@Alan I have developed captcha free anti-spam for multiple sites (not Wordpress ones though) and its worked pretty well, the same on a number of sites I maintain. All much less of a burden for users.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,367 10,201
    Logged into Google? Why would anyone want to do that?

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. gpietersz

1,994 481
    I do not, but I tend to have a harder time with recaptcha than people who do.

So one answer to your question is to make getting past recaptcha easier. The more you let Google track you the less hassle you have.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. fisicx

34,367 10,201
    I just don’t bother with sites that want me to count busses. There is almost always somewhere else you can get what you need.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 UKBF Regular Full Member

111 40
    Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I've reached the conclusion that there's no single satisfactory answer...

1. reCAPTCHA v3 appears to involve putting tracking-like code on your site pages (not just the submit page). Google then evaluates visitor behaviour and decides whether to present the visitor with fire hydrants. I've got enough tracking code on my pages without adding more!

2. Honeypot fields are easy enough to implement but don't solve the problem. They can tell you if the visitor is a bot, but don't stop it submitting the form.

3. Some people (above) will leave a site as soon as they see a CAPTCHA.

I think I'll just put enquiry-form spammers on my execution list - right after manufacturers of wood-screws with soft metal heads.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  9. fisicx

34,367 10,201
    They do if the form is set up correctly.

A maths capture is easy to implement and catches out many bots.

I also have a small script that checks how quickly the form is filled out. Bots take seconds so the scripts junks the submission.

I've been spam free for years.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. gpietersz

1,994 481
    @fisicx is right and a honeypot field can stop spam - you check the form and do not process it further if the honeypot field is filled in. So the form is submitted but you never see any result of that.

That and maths captcha have worked well for multiple clients, and homepot fields some of my own sites.

Good attitude and shows respect for your customers. recaptcha is even worse than most because they cannot block it and still use your site.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019