Cant find answer to my question about barcodes

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Biohyt, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Biohyt

Biohyt UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    Hello everybody

Is it mandatory to sign for barcodes, in order to export overseas ? I am trying to find answer for exporting food products, but when I contact barcode issuing companies they naturally say yes (to make me pay for barcode), and when I try to find answer online from search engines, I only come across old threads with no useful info.

I appreciate all who can guide me about this.

Thank you.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Biohyt Member since: Apr 25, 2018
  2. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,866 869
    Ask your customers.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  3. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,071 1,087
    Dont understand your question - "Is it mandatory to sign for barcodes, in order to export overseas?" ?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,193 1,804
    Have not heard of sign for barcodes. Something new? Or restricted to particular products?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,974 418
  6. Biohyt

31 0
    Thanks for all replies. What I meant was this: Are you aware of any regulations/rules to export food products that says printing barcodes on items is mandatory ?

It doesnt make difference from the customer side, but I am afraid the customs (of the country where I will export my items to) may not release the products if they dont see the barcode printed on them (if there is such rule).

As the brand owner do I have to print barcodes on my products which will be exported, or I dont ? (the products, and the brand will are mine)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. Mr D

16,193 1,804
    Speak to your local export organisation. They will know what goods being sent to your target country will require. Usually more required on packaging than just barcode being printed by you or your agent.

8. Biohyt

31 0
    @Mr D. I have contacted with 10 different firms, they all refuse to give any information before making payment. They all ask about my information at first (just like I have to release my info in order to have a very basic info about barcodes). These firms include customs brokers, and some others who deal with the barcodes... So without seeing a benefit at first, nobody speaks of any word (general tendency of mankind I guess). I prefer to get & provide most valuable info through the forums because of this.

9. Mr D

16,193 1,804
    So don't contact firms.
    Contact the people who will know what you need instead.

The body responsible for helping with exports.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-international-trade/about-our-services

Once you know what you need then you can contact the one organisation that will deal with providing barcodes.

10. Biohyt

31 0
    This is a useful link indeed, which I havent come across from my online search, Thank you Mr D.
    I can edit my message, once I get a satisfactory answer.

And in the meantime, I am more than happy to hear comments from anybody who has tried to export or import items and have tried to answer the same question. (I am trying to find the answer of whether the use of barcodes is mandatory on the products which will be exported/imported)

Thanks

11. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,544 2,132
    Each country will have its own labeling requirements or like the EU be under the controls of a larger group

Barcode's are something you need to consider as all retail outlets around the world are changing to electronic tills as well as warehouses etc, so it makes sense for you to incorporate them in your labeling anyway, Why make waves when there is a smooth and easy way forward

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003