Can you help our kickstarter with his assignment?

Discussion in 'Growing Your Startup' started by James Akcela, Sep 23, 2021.

1. James Akcela

James Akcela UKBF Newcomer

34 4
    Hi all,

Not advertising our business and there is no links on the form to our name or what we do, so I hope this is okay. Tom is working through his research project on startup, scale up and SME companies - it will take just two minutes and make him a very happy bunny (it'll make me very happy too!)

Thank you for taking the time to do it - happy to share the results and his work here after, if that is okay, but it is completely up to moderators.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/H8HHQXH

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: James Akcela Member since: Nov 30, 2019
  2. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    Whole bunch of questions in there I can’t answer as the option I want isn’t listed.

Can’t even get past Q1 as I’m none of the above (no idea what scale up means).

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. James Akcela

34 4
    Thanks fisicx - I posted in the startup section as it was more startup focussed, but really do appreciate you taking the time to look. Any feedback on what was missing - because perhaps you sit in the SME piece?

In terms of scaleup, it the stage after startup where there is a high growth trajectory, so usually would have proved out a minimum viable product, probably have seed funding and be revenue generating - more a step where external investment is ramping htem through the process. Not all businesses go through that phase "formally" I suppose.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: James Akcela Member since: Nov 30, 2019
  4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,044 10,697
    I do have a startup but not ever likely to be a scaleup of an SME. A start up could be in a stable condition with steady growth for years.

The question about challenges wasn’t one I could answer as there was no ‘none of the above’ option. The industry list isn’t really helpful as you could be in more than one camp. Some businesses don’t need to grow or need networking. Q10 needs to be a check list with a lot more options. Trust isn’t even listed.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Ace

357 108
    Hi James, I took a look at the survey. Being a retired university business school lecturer I have some experience of surveys and research.

It’s good there are only 10 questions but I am finding it hard to see what Tom is going to gain from it. If
    Might help if there was an introductory phrase explaining the purpose.

Also, as already mentioned it is important to clarify terms. Like with question one, someone might not know what SME is so putting Small Medium Enterprises including Sole Trader might be better.

In Q10 you have honesty, but what about Trust?

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  6. James Akcela

34 4
    Hi Trevor,

Good point on Q1 and Q10 - we will update.

Tom is trying to define with primary research the different stages of businesses and top level inhibitors to growth. As well as where they currently network to see if there is a phased networking approach given their current scale and future scaling preferences (i.e. high growth, small turnover).

We have reviewed this at the top level, I get the general research, but I fear that primary research such as this needs a greater velocity of data to give any tangible outcome. I also question with Q1 whether it's targeted enough to deliver the veracity required. In saying these two things, I am supporting people taking this and promoting it as it is one of the cornerstones he believes will deliver over the desk research.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 By: James Akcela Member since: Nov 30, 2019
  7. James Akcela

34 4
    Thank you for some very pertinent points though - good takeaways there :)

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 By: James Akcela Member since: Nov 30, 2019
  8. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Ace

357 108
    Hi James,
    Glad this helped.

I had some thoughts like is Q2 relevant as you could use the turnover definitions of SME within Q1. However, if you have reviewed it at top level then obviously I would be wrong to critique it as I am not face-to-face with it.

I agree it is always difficult getting a balance between the number of questions and the usefulness of the results. I hope the research goes well and might be nice to share the results here.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021