Can they do this?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Dave0306, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Dave0306

Dave0306 UKBF Newcomer

7 0
    My company have taken on a new employee who will be carrying out exactly the same role and has the same job title. They have no experience in the industry and I am expected to 'show him the ropes'.

I've since found out they started him on a higher wage (over 3k/year), which I feel is unfair. I know companies shouldn't do this, but unfortunately do. I have spoken to a senior manager about this, but am being told there is more I can to to work my way up to the higher rate. I have no idea what this may be as we all do the same role.

Does 'equal pay' come into effect in this situation? It almost feels like constructive dismissal as I am now demoralised and feel undervalued.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 By: Dave0306 Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  2. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

1,089 259
    You can always leave and find a better paid job. It is simple none of your business what the company pays somebody, either accept it or move on to another company. Case closed.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  3. intheTRADE

intheTRADE Contributor

502 183
    Agree with the above. They may not have any experience in your industry but have experience in a similar role in other industry. So many skills are transferable across different industries and they may bring something to the company that you can't/aren't. That may sound harsh but it's the reality of the world we live in

Never get hung up on what someone else is being paid. It's up to you and you alone to discuss with your employer what you are being paid and whether you should receive more or move on to another company

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  4. pentel

pentel Contributor

544 95
    Time to move on... and should your existing employer offer to increase your salary when you hand in your notice then decline, even if it is more.

If you are not valued when you first raised this then you will not be valued later.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: pentel Member since: Mar 12, 2011
  5. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,763 10,626
    Do a really poor job of training them up. Miss out loads of things, keep repeating yourself and mess up the technology. All while looking for a new job.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    @pentel has taken the words right out of my mouth ....... time to move on and find a new employer who places a greater value on your skills

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  7. Paul Norman

Paul Norman Contributor

3,451 1,176
    They can do this. And unless you can prove you were discriminated against because of race, gender, or disability, you can do little about it apart from:

1. Negotiate a better deal for yourself.
    2. Find another job and leave
    3. In the event of taking 2 don't bottle it and be tempted back by a better offer too late.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  8. IanSuth

IanSuth Contributor

438 127
    I worked in recruitment - in the situations where people accepted a counter offer to stay where they were, within 6mths over 50% came back to see if offer still available and by a year i reckon 90%+ were looking again. Generally the counter offer is one or more of the following
    1. a kneejerk reaction to not "lose" to a competitor
    2. Short term to ensure you stay long enough to do all the knowledge transfer they need
    3. Just to make the manager feel he is still in control of events (i wrote "he" on purpose as female managers generally behave differently and on average would rather kick you out the door immediately than keep a disloyal staff member around)

Rarely to promises like "just stay and we will make you a manager/director/head of new department/in charge of a new location etc" actually pan out and basically never if they are not tied down in a firm contract

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: IanSuth Member since: Apr 1, 2021
  9. Dave0306

Dave0306 UKBF Newcomer

7 0
    Appreciate the responses. I am actively looking at other opportunities, just need to find the right one.

Pretty sure 'she' will not want to equalise the pay, or offer anything to make me want to stay. It's a shame really as I actually like my job.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: Dave0306 Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  10. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty Contributor

2,318 319
    Nothing is cased closed,

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  11. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty Contributor

2,318 319
    As above, start looking for a new job, you only generally get paid your true worth at your next job, current employers rarely put a high price value on employees you have worked their way up.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1