Can someone speak to me in Plain English about FB Ads

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Lynxdry, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Lynxdry

Lynxdry UKBF Regular Full Member

153 20
    Hi Folks

So I did my first Facebook advert yesterday in the hope it gets more likes on my FB page and eventually more people going onto our website.

So am paying £4 per day for 7 days total £28 and apparently this will result in my advert reaching 38 000 people within the Geographic region and the 20 plus interests I put up.

So I get an update from FB this morning saying They have spent £1.88 and it has 1848 reach, my question is what does this reach mean in actual plain English and what happens to the rest of my Money? because I have not had a single like or follow from these 1848.

Any input or advice how to increase the likes and follows and is there a certain Mechanism I should follow in order to increase interaction and subsequently more Customers?

Any advice would be most welcomed and please speak to me in plain English because Facebook speak is not getting thru to me.

Thanks
    LD

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 By: Lynxdry Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  2. Dolphin-Design

Dolphin-Design UKBF Contributor Free Member

76 12
    Reach means who has actually seen the advert on their news feed.

Competitions work well - ask them to share and like your page, comment and like the post for the chance to win a prize or voucher.

Does your line of business mean you need to target people local to you? If not concentrate your efforts on the target markets interests. Do you have a CTA within the post?

It's become quite clear IMO now that anything you post on a business account just will not be seen by very many unless you 'boost' the post.

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 By: Dolphin-Design Member since: Aug 4, 2013
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,381 8,387
    Reach means the advert was in a feed. Doesn’t mean anyone has seen it.

Adverts won’t get you likes or follows. Adverts will get you visits to your site. But, you need to be targeted and have a winning landing page.

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Lynxdry

153 20
    @Dolphin-Design

Logistically speaking yes it needs to be within greater London, I want to Launch a competition eventually but am just testing the water for now in order to get my head around how all this stuff works, am also teaming up with a travel agency in order to have a competition so that the first 500 people to signup and use our service for 1 week are entered into the draw to win a 1 week holiday for 2 to Malaysia or Dubai, and 2 x weekend trip to Europe for 2 people for the 2 runner ups.

5. Lynxdry

153 20
    @fisicx

I have a fully functional website as opposed to a landing page, am just in the process of launching the service, in terms of marketing etc.

6. fisicx

28,381 8,387
    But the advert should point to a landing page optimised for the offer. Just like adwords.

Using a FB advert to get likes/follows won’t work.

7. Lynxdry

153 20
    @fisicx

How do I create such a landing page and integrate it into the FB Ads and the actual website itself and how much is it likely to cost to have such a thing done on our behalf?

8. fisicx

28,381 8,387
    If the advert is for half price dog biscuits then you create a landing page where people can buy the product. Strip out all the guff and focus on the sale.

It’s really just another page on the site but this time optimised for the advert. It doesn’t need to be linked to the rest of the site.

9. Jason Edge

Jason Edge UKBF Contributor Full Member

50 3
    If you want likes/shares then you are better of creating a post rather than an advert and then boosting it to you defined target audience. Works much better if you use a decent/funny/meme/infographic style pic. Take a look at canva.com as this is a handy way of creating some good images with your message

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 By: Jason Edge Member since: Dec 19, 2017
  10. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,753 376
    What are you promoting?

What's the web site address?

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  11. KAC

KAC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

803 177
    We posted all the photos about Buddy the Elf visiting the children's wards in our local hospital throughout December and got a reach of over 215,000 which I now understand, thanks to @fisicx, means nothing :eek::D:(.
    Having said that, our dogs did get more than 50 extra likes and follows through the posts.
    The photos ranged between a reach of 3,000 and 12,000.
    3 of them we used free Facebook Ad voucher but it made little difference to the numbers reached.
    It makes me glad that we only did it for a bit of fun and that I don't need to rely on Facebook for a living
    We also posted them on Twitter but I don't know what our statistics were there apart from likes and retweets

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 By: KAC Member since: May 7, 2017
  12. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

913 132
    Honestly its really hard to get likes and follows from an advert and i think it really needs consistency and creativeness to standout as well as creating a viral information that eventually shared by the audience.

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  13. Lynxdry

153 20
    @billmccallum1957

I wanted to promote our website and facebook account for my new venture and service, I am not sure I can post the site on this topic since am not a paid member, I will inbox it to you.

@Jason Edge thanks for that canva link it looks useful so appreciate it.

@KAC Your dogs have managed 50 more likes than we have gotten hahaha, but am starting to think that this Facebook advertising is not that easy and it seems there must be a magical formula we should both try and find :)

@StevePoster how would one find what is considered useful viral information in order to promote the site and its social media outlet, for me my priority is to get people onto the site making a purchase, social media seems to be a default requirement in this day and age of the WWW and all things Social Media...

Thanks for you all and if you find anything else that could be useful to me and others in my shoes please continue to share.

Happy New Year all.

LD

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 By: Lynxdry Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  14. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

2,702 922
    When was the last time you went on social media to make a purchase...?

Likes won't pay the bills...

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  15. Lynxdry

153 20
    @WeblinkPlus

The honest answer is never, but I was trying to figure out how all this facebook Adds work and was trying to promote my business's name so people will go onto the site and figure out what we are offering is actually something useful and worth trying out.

Yes Likes would not pay the bills, but having some kind of exposure on a small budget is better than no exposure at all, my marketing budget is Tiny to say the least.

16. fisicx

28,381 8,387
    Why do you want to get your name out there? Surely it would be better to sell your products and services.

Are the people who what what you do looking for that on FB? If not then there's no point in paying for adverts.

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Lynxdry

153 20
    @fisicx

What you say is totally correct about getting our name out there but problem is cost to do so, so paying 28 pounds to get it infront of 38K people is not economically challenging so it was worth a shot although it seems money not well spent, any marketing ideas on a shoe string budget would be most welcomed.

18. fisicx

28,381 8,387
    What are you selling to whom? Without knowing this it's almost impossible to make any marketing suggestions.

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  19. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,753 376
    If your target audience is office workers, I would have someone in high traffic areas handing out leaflets and some free samples.

On your web site, one has to register before finding out important stuff like pricing, many will be put off by this.

Anonymous testimonials mean nothing to me.

I'm sure some web site folk and marketing experts will have more to say if they take a look.

https://hungrydesk.co.uk/

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
  20. Lynxdry

153 20
    @billmccallum1957

Thanks for posting the site as I wasn't sure if I was allowed to being a free member so glad it came from you.

Testimonials were there whilst we were testing the concept with a limited bunch using a BETA invite format before going onto a full scale site as we have done so now.

Reference pricing since its all determined by the vendors or suppliers, but its actually mentioned in the FAQ section that you would never pay more than 9.99 for a 3 course meal delivered and the average cost of meals is no more than 6.50 delivered.

Thank you for the feedback though its a wealth of knowledge and appreciate your time.

Regards
    LD