Can someone advise on possible gumtree scam please

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by pjm_82, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wibzo

wibzo UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 0
    Haha! thank you for pointing that out :D lol but surely the scammers didn't just use his acc no & sortcode to do the crime. They needed some additional info to go with the digits i.e. address, phone no. etc...

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 By: wibzo Member since: Apr 14, 2014
  2. DazRave

DazRave UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

570 127
    I'd imagine that a scammer would have (to play it safe) deposited a smaller amount if he only wanted the account details. In fact, once he had them why deposit anything at all and instead just attempted to get money out?

I stick to my previous comment about how i think the OP is being overly paranoid/worried.

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 By: DazRave Member since: Jul 12, 2013
  3. HorseLatitudes

HorseLatitudes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

248 79
    It doesn't sound like a scam that I've ever heard about before but that's not to say it definitely isn't one.

As mentioned, I'm not sure there's a lot they can do with the details you've given aside from setting up the odd Direct Debit.

If you're worried about what they may be able to do is closing the account not an option?

I know it's a faff on but better to be safe and all that.

New accounts are easy enough to open nowadays

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 By: HorseLatitudes Member since: Oct 21, 2013
  4. FirstClassVirtualOffice

FirstClassVirtualOffice UKBF Ace Full Member

1,083 213
    Can you not email and text him to say that you are concerned about him not getting back in touch, and will pop round to his house tonight. If he makes an excuse, don't reply, but go to this house anyway. Lots of houses have a name and the local post office should be able to tell you if the address you have, exists.

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 By: FirstClassVirtualOffice Member since: Nov 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.