Can I do this with magento?

Discussion in 'Magento Support' started by unstoppable, Sep 18, 2017.

1. unstoppable

unstoppable UKBF Regular Free Member

101 6
    Hi,

I have never worked with magento before, just played around with a local installation for the last couple of days. I have technical background and can comfortably code in PHP if needed.

Background

I currently sell wholesale - all sales offline at the moment. All records are kept in spreadsheets. I now want to start selling via following channels:

Wholesale
    - online on my B2B website
    - offline via phone orders etc
    Retail
    - online on a separate B2C website
    - online marketplaces like ebay, amazon, facebook etc.

Problem

I want to minimise admin work and centralise all data including product information, inventory information, orders, customer records etc.

Proposed solution

I think magento is my answer. The main reason for choosing magento is that it allows multi-site so I can run both B2B and B2C e-commerce websites from the same platform so half the battle is already won. But it's just as important to centralise data from other sales channels - with that in mind I can see it working as follows.

Data flow scenarios:
    1. Magento will hold the product listings. The product listings will be PUSHED to market places e.g. ebay, amazon etc on adhoc bases.
    2. Magento will PULL orders from market places periodically (once a day?). Magento will then use this data to:
      1. Create/update customer records held on Magento.
      2. Update product inventory records held on Magento and PUSH these back to market places.
      3. PUSH necessary information to courier systems for delivery label generation.
      4. PUSH financial data to external accounting system (might just be a massive CSV file for now).
    3. Any online orders from the B2B ecommerce website and the B2C ecommerce website will automatically be created in Magento and manageable through the Magento admin panel.
    4. Any offline B2B and B2C sales can be manually created in Magento through it's admin panel.
    Questions:
    1. What do you think of this solution for my requirements?
    2. Have I missed anything important?
    3. Is scenario no.1 and scenario no.2 above achievable with magento out of the box.
    Thanks.

Posted: Sep 18, 2017 By: unstoppable Member since: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Tim Ford

Tim Ford UKBF Contributor Full Member

49 9
    Hi,

I have worked with magneto eCommerce for the past years running multiple revenue stream with pull and pushing data around, i can confirm that it's not the easiest. However doesn't mean it can't be done. I have written a good few scripts to hand stock levels and inventory from suppliers and then fed this through to the end revenue streams from Magento.

1) Magento can be used as your central point for CMS data for product information and that can be done out of the box However to push product to external stream you might will need to look at something like this (m2epro) unless you want to code this yourself.

2.1) This is an interesting one as only about a year i had this requirement as one of our external streams took off to the excess of around 200+ orders a day at peak, i looked at out sourcing the development of a script to pull and create the orders, Orders aren't massively documented within magneto and this didn't seem an easy task and having done through 2 developers i took this on my self and hammered it out within a day! and it's worked wonders since.

2.2) Easy to write a script to retrieve the inventory data from the magneto inventory model collection, i tend to output as XML using SimpleXML or output as a CSV file, but fundamentally this is easily completed.

2.3) Easy to write a script and output the data to a file or API information, this information will come from the orders/delivery/billing information, however haven't carried out a script like this before.

2.4) Most accounts packages Xero for instance you can easily work with and depending on the complexity of how you want to move the data you can access there API, or also use something like Zapier to integrate between Magento and Xero, Failing that we have used this company for many years to control the ordering/dispatching of items within Magento (xtento)

So by the looks of things you have a bit of a 50/50 situation here, not directly out of the box but it's certainly achievable without much work or cost,

On a different note have you thought about coming at it from Xero can control all the Product Inventory, Pricing, you could have different price lists for different revenue streams, you would still want to keep you product listings in Magento, but you should be able to update the two systems using Zapier.

If you need to talk about anything drop me a PM. I have had to remove some of the links as it won't allow me to post currently but i have highlighted them in bold, so you should be able to google them

Tim.

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 By: Tim Ford Member since: Sep 26, 2017