General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Can anyone solve this problem?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Where do we go from here?, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:09 PM.

1. Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here? UKBF Contributor Free Member

48 7
    If I can solve this problem it would make my business massively more efficient. Has anyone got any ideas?

I need to be able to print a shipping label by scanning a barcode. The way I imagine it working is that I'd scan (using a hand-held scanner of some kind) the barcode that is printed on the product, and this would print the address on a label printer. The only easy way I can see this working is if the scanner was somehow connected to an Excel spreadsheet which showed which barcode and address were associated, and then fed through to the label printer.

Does anything like this exist or is there a way to make it happen? I'll seriously owe anyone who can help. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 10:09 PM By: Where do we go from here? Member since: Nov 13, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,485 2,835
    Would that not work better if you already had the name and address and added the item to the order by scanning barcode?
    A solution which presumably thousands of businesses use.

Just cannot see how item barcode which presumably is the same for however many millions of that particular item there are would give you an address each time you needed one.

You do not need the address and product associated before scanning.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 10:49 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Where do we go from here?

48 7
    Each item is different and can only go to one address - the person who ordered it. Don't worry, I'm not that simple, lol.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 10:56 PM By: Where do we go from here? Member since: Nov 13, 2019
  4. Mr D

23,485 2,835
    Hmmm... Presumably Amazon have such a link for their processes.
    Address held and waiting for item to be scanned.

Can imagine quite a few other larger volume retailers doing e-commerce will do it.

Perhaps speak to some of the e-commerce support organisations out there. A way of saving time and keeping errors low - got to be providers of some sort of useful software or else it's a market to tap.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 11:26 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,685 2,429
    Could you elaborate on why your trying to do this as it does appear to be the wrong way around

A barcode normally just records a products details on a product so the user would in most instances have the order open and scan in the products as picked to make the packing list, with most software when the order is then shipped the software then automatically prints the shipping label along with invoice etc

How does your process work?

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 9:48 AM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  6. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,303 237
    You can do this in MS Word, 2010 and above I think -

Open a blank document
    Place the cursor where you want the bar code and do ctrl F9
    Enter the command - DISPLAYBARCODE “37 Anywhere Somewhere Nowhere AA1 2BB” QR \q h
    and right click toggle the display.

You'll have to play around with positioning/print options, but you can generate a bar code for every address. Put them all in a table to keep it tidy.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 1:06 PM By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  7. BusterBloodvessel

BusterBloodvessel UKBF Regular Free Member

244 95
    Yep I'm also not following your process here, sorry!

When you say a barcode on/for the product - is this an actual product barcode, or do you mean you purely want something scannable that is used SOLELY for the purpose of providing the address - in which case it could be a QR code or any other unique method of identifying the address?

My guess is that you want to receive an order and manufacture it in one area, then pass it down a production line where a packer just scans it and can pack it straight into a box for shipping without needing the original paperwork....something like that?

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 1:35 PM By: BusterBloodvessel Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  8. Where do we go from here?

48 7
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses so far.

The purpose of the theoretical programme I describe is to help speed up the packing of many custom items. We're able to easily print a barcode (or QR code) on our products during manufacture, and rather than looking through our records to find the relevant order details/address, we'd like to be able to scan the barcode/QR code so that there's no need to refer back to any details. Instead, we'd like to simply scan the code and an address label be printed.

I'm toying with some easier solutions to my problem, but the original scan-to-print method I describe would be preferable.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 11:46 PM By: Where do we go from here? Member since: Nov 13, 2019
  9. Mr D

23,485 2,835
    So you want something generated with the address on it then add stock using barcode scanner as you pick each item?

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 11:47 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Where do we go from here?

48 7
    The problem is in the connection of the different aspects. How do we make the 3 elements work together?

Scanning of Bar/QR code > Finds Bar/QR code in Excel & corresponding address > prints address label in the correct format on the label printer.

I think I need someone to write some software for me.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM By: Where do we go from here? Member since: Nov 13, 2019
  11. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,616 491
    We're able to easily print a barcode (or QR code) on our products during manufacture

You're saying when you make these items, you will generate a unique QR code that holds the address of the person that ordered it? And you'll slap it on the product once its made?

If so - you just need an app and a Bluetooth printer.

Not sure where the Excel bit comes into all of this - the barcode/QR code would hold all the address info.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:23 AM By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  12. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,303 237
    Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:34 AM By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  13. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,227 828
    Your details of how and where you store addresses is a bit vague, but this is how I would propose a solution at a high level:

Create a QR code with a URL and productID/customerID e.g. www.mysite.com/printDetails/productID

Scan the QR code on a mobile device

The above URL retrieves the customers address from wherever they are stored and displays them in a nicely formatted way

On the mobile device simply print the output to a wireless label printer

The challenge will be retrieving the customer address from wherever you currently store it. If this is in a CRM or Google Sheets it should be relatively simply. If it is in Excel it may be more of a challenge.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:57 AM By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  14. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,808 1,699
    A barcode is a just another way of typing a set of keys into a computer. If you've a system that can print correct label in response to you typing 9482573 from a keyboard, then it'll do the same if you set up a barcode reader.

We've a barcode reader to read serial numbers from products that arrive. Each individual product has its own serial number, and rather than type them in, we just use a barcode reader and Excel to read them. No other software (well, the driver that came with the barcode reader is installed), Excel treads the character string as if we were typing them in on a keyboard.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:24 AM By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  15. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,256 291
    I do not think it what he is doing (I understood they are just storing an ID) but its a simple and elegant solution that would work and probably avoids the needs for getting someone to code a solution (it would need little code, but unless you have someone on tap its a pain to find and hire someone).

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:59 AM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  16. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,227 828
    Aren't you simply pushing the same problem further up the process - as in when someone is creating the barcode/QR code they need to lookup the address?

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:22 PM By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  17. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,256 291
    @mattk from the OP's description of the process they have the data at that point - otherwise they could not associate the bar code with the address which it sounds like they can.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  18. Paul FilmMaker

Paul FilmMaker UKBF Contributor Free Member

97 27
    We hired something like this at a conference. We scanned badges and these were automatically matched with attendees, and we could then print or do whatever we wanted. At the time, we weren't printing them but could have done if we wanted.

Can't remember the name of the solution but think it was something like Zebra.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM By: Paul FilmMaker Member since: Aug 29, 2018