Camera for Product Photography

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by littlebusiness, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da8iwr

da8iwr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,187 134
    Just quickly, Nikon's are equally as good as canons, in the same way as fords are equally as good as vauxhalls. the only difference is the menu system which brings it down to personal preference.

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  2. TomUK

TomUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

312 18
    Thinking of just a Canon 10D as not really interested inupgrading/resell value, just need something to take pictures of my products.

da8iwr, quick question, there is alot of bodies only on eBay, will they be ok, can I buy the lens seperate or will this be expensive/alot of hassle?

Tom

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: TomUK Member since: Feb 24, 2008
  3. silklink

silklink UKBF Newcomer Free Member

348 42
    Hi Tom

I think on this thread there is a mention about bridge cameras. Worth thinking about because, as I have stressed on this thread, SLR/D-SLR photography can take into areas that you might not want or might not have time to explore. The bridges give you what you are asking for: point and shoot with great quality lenses leading to great quality pics. Good luck

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: silklink Member since: Sep 19, 2008
  4. Guru1981

Guru1981 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

73 9
    For product photography, small objects anyway, i've always favoured a macro lens with a home-made light box.

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: Guru1981 Member since: Aug 8, 2009
  5. Lasting Designs

Lasting Designs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

936 94
    Slightly off topic, but my daughter took some pictures with her Nikon D40 and decided to get the prints done at Boots, taking in the memory card. Having gone to collect them, was refused to be given the prints until she could "prove" she took them!

The pictures were of the dogs and some of a model that she was doing some mutual portfolio work for. By chance, having viewed the contents of the card on her PC and remembered that one of the dog images had a reflection of herself in the mutts eye. She thought at the time that this was a happy accident, but not a good image from an asthetic point of view, but decided to keep nonetheless.

I know they are keen as company to protect copyright from rouges, but she (nor I) have not known about them quizzing their customers like this, has anybody else had this?

Having pointed out the picture in question the photo department manager, remarked upon the the quality of the pictures and congratulated her on the work she had done. She has an on going project site at www.lucialice.co.uk

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: Lasting Designs Member since: Aug 10, 2007
  6. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    This is just bullying by Boots. I'd complain to the shop manager, and if no joy is found there, to head office.

On what grounds did they presume to challenge copyright or ownership of the card? On what legal grounds did they threaten to not return private property?

I'd go for a written apology, with detail of exactly why they were apologising, and not be fobbed off with a generic 'sorry' and a processing voucher.

They are taking your/our money as they act like unofficial stasi.

I'm tempted to go in with a card loaded with Rankin and Bailey pics and see what they do. I bet they wouldn't bully a stroppy middle aged man.

It makes me very V. Meldrew. 'king bullies.

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  7. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

7,138 1,483
    I just received a new camera yesterday, bought after a photographer showed me a demo on the little one he carries.

Its a Samsung NV7 and what a quality little fellah it is :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  8. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    Does it do self portraits? :)

Sorry, back on thread. OP, get a propa product outfit/bit-o-kit, a Sinar...(you'll need a digital back and a beeg tripod too).:)

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  9. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Dawg, your just not taking this serious are you :D :D

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  10. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Dawg, i could have said that any milder about boots :D
    You are right, under what grounds do they have to stop you from collecting your personal property, whether it is because they don't believe you or not, makes no difference.

I have had a quick peak at Luci's website, and was very impressed :)

Make sure she has the legal sides of things wrapped up, for example model consent forms and licences to use her images. Even if she took the photos of the band for free she she wants some kind of contract in place or specify that it can not be used for commercial uses, that if it will be used for album covers for example she wants paying.

This actually happened to a friend of mine, took a load of photos when he was younger of a fashion label, 10yrs later when they were massive, they used it in a print advertising campaign.

So as long as she says this is still copyright to her name, and if used in any commercial advertising or promotion work, she will come to an agreement.

Its great when your starting out to do photos for free to build your portfolio, but eventually that nasty bank manager is going to want to see an income going through his account.

Sorry if im teeling my granny to suck eggs here :redface:

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  11. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,345 2,078
    What's new! :rolleyes:

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  12. Dawg

10,900 3,466
    Well, now you ask....These French Dogpoo bags are new:

[​IMG]

And, back on thread, if you get the camera I linked to you'll be needing a camera cloth:

[​IMG]

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  13. TomUK

TomUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

312 18
    Thinking of just a Canon 10D as not really interested inupgrading/resell value, just need something to take pictures of my products.

Anyone; quick question, there is alot of bodies only on eBay, will they be ok, can I buy the lens seperate or will this be expensive/alot of hassle?

Tom

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 By: TomUK Member since: Feb 24, 2008
  14. da8iwr

1,187 134
    I'm sure i wrote a reply to this, i wonder if i didn't press submit :)

When people want to make as much as they can from a camera when selling it, they break it down into as many bits as possible. Body, Lens, Spares, bags etc so when buying try to buy as a kit/pack.

People when selling the "kit" will get rid of everything, they gave it ago, wasn't for them so there is no point in selling most and keeping some of it. So you will sometimes even get a loads of magazines, spare batteries, tripods etc. Say its for an Xmas present for a child or something, they give you a little pity and are willing to throw in a load of other stuff when sending it down.

Also regarding the lens question, yes any EF Canon fit lens will fit the 10D body, but the EFS wont as they are designed for the cheaper end of DSLR market.

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  15. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,388 537
    So, forgiving ,my ignorance, what's the difference between a Canon 450D and a Canon 450D Rebel?

Reason why I ask is that the standard price for a 450D seems to be aorund £500, (afew do it for £450;)) but the Rebel is being knocked out a lot cheaper on ebay.

TIA

Mister B

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  16. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Nothing at all, its the exact same model, but the 450D is supplied in the UK and the rebel is supplied to the USA.

Canon is a franchise company, so Canon UK has nothing at all to do with Canon USA, which means what you buy in the states will NOT be supported in any way by Canon UK and of course the other way around with goods from the UK will not be supported in the USA.

A bit like buying a Mercedes and then taking it to BMW to be fixed, they are not related at all.

So if you buy a Rebel, you wont be able to get any form of warranty through Canon UK, unless you send it back to the states, which you have to pay carriage both there and back.

So it is a gamble, but if it is out of warranty, it makes no difference as its not covered by either any way.

But from what i understand they have identical internals, and are made in the same factory.

Hope that helps
    Ian

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  17. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Oh one more thing, many of the cameras from abroad on eBay, especially Hong Kong, provide a third party warranty, so it is not covered by Canon, but by an insurance company that will pay for any type of repairs or maintenance that the manufacturers normally sorts out.

18. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,388 537
    Thanks for that Ian, most helpful.

As it stands I can buy a new 450D for £440 from a UK retailer, or a Rebel for £410, but including a 4GB memory card.

I guess it's make my mind up time:)

Mister B

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  19. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Hi Mister B
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Memory Cards/SD Cards/Show.html
    Even if you walked into a shop to by a 4GB card, your not going to be paying much at all, so i wouldn't let that sway my opinions.

£15 is a small round of drinks in a bar... not really worth the worry of customs, VAT etc if its coming in from abroad.

Good luck though :)
    Ian

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  20. justguy

justguy UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 11
    Strictly speaking this is not the case. Canon SLR bodies have geographical warranties - if you buy inside the EU, then any EU country will honour the warranty.

Lenses, on the other hand, have international warranties. Canon UK will, and have, honoured fixing them within the 1 year period. This makes buying cheap lenses from Hong Kong Ebay retailers like DigitalRev relatively safe.

For smaller product photography your killer is depth of field. As such, you can often be better off with a good compact camera like the Canon G10 as, even at f2.8, you get far more depth of field in shots and thus more of the product is in focus with less lighting needed. I will often break out the G9 for a product shot instead of the 5dII :) You will also find their standard macro functions far better than a separate, non-dedicated macro lens.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: justguy Member since: Sep 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.