Calling all journalists

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by Pet Nanny, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Pet Nanny

Pet Nanny UKBF Ace Free Member

1,237 89
    I really need some urgent help here. What would make you want to write an article about my pet sitting company?

Just had a great spread in the local paper, but really would love to get a good magazine to run a story on us. I really do not like trading on our hard luck story, but would use it for any interest.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  2. frockery

frockery UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

383 56
    How about featuring some of your sitters and tales of interesting or unusual sitting assignments? I imagine there are a lot of human/animal interest stories in the pet sitting world that would interest a wide readership.

Regards, Alison

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: frockery Member since: Aug 15, 2007
  3. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    Alison, we have loads of those, and extremely funny stories. With the summer around the corner (hopefully), I was just hoping any journo's out there may respond.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  4. imp man

imp man UKBF Regular Free Member

130 4
    I agree with Frockery. You need to give some of the funniest, quirkiest and heart warming stories about pet sitting.

Also some serious stuff about what sort of people are willing to take a pet for a short time and why.

If you have an unusual request, like someone wanting to leave a snake etc with someone would be quite newsworthy. You could appeal for someone in the local paper while at the same time promoting your services to people with less exotic pets.

Always remember that newspapers love animal stories and they make great pictures.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: imp man Member since: Nov 19, 2007
  5. frockery

383 56
    I used to do some freelance journalism myself, but have since moved in a very different direction!

If you can get the interest of a freelance journo on UKBF or elsewhere, s/he may be able to persuade an editor to commission a feature on pet sitting services. It's worth remembering that magazines commission well in advance of publication.

Regards, Alison

6. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    Right okay. Well I have written an article on pet sitting and would appreciate your thoughts. Is it good enough for a magazine? Article follows -

The joy of pet sitting

The Pet Industry is thriving. The idea travelled from the United States and now Britain’s pet owners are breathing a huge sigh of relief. No more wrestling Kitty into her cat box or marching Rover into an alien environment, where he may be exposed to contagious diseases, sickness or parasites. Granny would also be safe from the constant trips to empty the litter tray and water the roses, and the neighbours wouldn’t need to hide from the annual doorbell when next doors suitcases appeared down the drive!

For committed animal lovers this service is long overdue. It affords your pet the opportunity to continue their regular routine and eating habits, and owners can enjoy their annual sabbatical, in the knowledge that their home is being lived, plants watered, and gardens tended whilst they are away.

But what about the pet sitters themselves? For us it is an opportunity not to be missed. The joy of meeting old friends and making new ones. On four legs and on two! Leaving for work each day and experiencing a job satisfaction that some of us can only dream about. Indeed pet sitters will always concur that they would never do anything else!

True it is strictly a job for dedicated animal lovers, but let us also remember that this work does not stop on a Friday evening, to be returned to on Monday morning. There are no rest breaks to replenish our batteries! When the phone rings at 10 pm on a Sunday evening and its poor Granny who has forgotten her hip operation and is being hospitalised the following day, now panicking about little Kitty sitting blissfully unaware in front of a roaring fire.

Oh and don’t forget Gertie the Guinea Pig, who has just been violently attacked by the Roger the Rabbit, who has happily shared her enclosure for the previous 2 years. Why have they chosen the first day of your sit to act out the Gunfight at the O.K. Coral?

As if the flood in Mrs Smith’s kitchen last week wasn’t bad enough, and the broken pump in Mr Brown’s pond which left 2 prize Koi Carp floundering in a couple of inches of water!

Yes, the pet sitting industry is booming, and us pet sitters will continue to whistle as we work, knowing that we really wouldn’t be anywhere else in the world, and that the holiday we were planning to take, well, that will have to wait yet another year!

7. jdpos

jdpos UKBF Newcomer Free Member

983 63
    That's great!!! Well done, it's definatly good for a magazine!

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: jdpos Member since: Nov 10, 2007
  8. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    Hi Pet Nanny, article looks really good and reads well.

Thought I should mention that your best bet is to ask feature writers from your target media if they have any openings for articles rather than sending them ones they have not comissioned.

Only suggesting this as it will save you time and effort as it is very rare for mags to run articles that have been sent to them without them asking for them.

As I say, grab a few of the mags you want to target, contact the feature editors or writers, explain your situation and ask if you can provide any articles on subjects they need and that you have experience in.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  9. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    As always Andy, your advice is invaluable. many thanks.

10. frockery

383 56
    I enjoyed reading your article which has definitely whetted my appetite to know more about what you do.

I agree with Andy that you need to identify your target media and pitch to them with an idea or outline for a feature rather than necessarily a whole piece. For mainstream magazine coverage, you might be advised to come up with a seasonal angle in order to maximise your chances of them running with it.

About now would be the time to push spring/summer holiday season stuff as the features editors will be planning content several months in advance, depending on the publication. (I have done Christmas features in August complete with Christmas tree and tinsel photo shoots!) Something along the lines of "Pet owners going on holiday will be delighted to know their precious furry, not so furry and scaly friends can enjoy their own 4 star treatment courtsey of Pet Nannies .... etc etc."

Now do you cater for pet Yetis too?

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

Regards, Alison

11. Pet Nanny

1,237 89
    Well, I have forwarded it to the Bedfordshire County Life magazine, since they always carry our press releases. However, I don't know how successful I will be with the Somerset and Hampshire Life, which is our main target area.

I thought that I may try the sun guy again, but to be honest I think that it wouldn't really have that much interest!

I wondered if it may be worth mentioning that my husband and I were prompted to start our business following his being diagnosed with MS, and my following brain haemmorhage, but I really did not want to dwell on that side of things!

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 By: Pet Nanny Member since: May 4, 2007
  12. Pressman

Pressman UKBF Regular Free Member

145 19
    Hi, If I were writing this I would source some interesting case studies and go in (start the piece) with an example. The more exotic the pet the better. The details about per sitting being a US import etc slow it down and should be included later. I think a well done piece on pet sitting would sell to magazines. I would target womens and retired titles.
    Steve

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 By: Pressman Member since: Oct 6, 2007
  13. jayneg

jayneg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    The pet sitting business is absolutely brill and i will be looking to use your services in the very near future for my 3 absolutely energetic and most loving dogs any one could meet,
    At the moment im looking for a journalist and tv crew to film a documentary ona soldiers return to the war zone and the devastating effects that it has had on his own life and loved ones around him,does anyone know of anyone who is up for a challenge ive spoken to Ben Anderson from the BBC and is having a word with the BBC bosses to consider it for release when finalised.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 By: jayneg Member since: Feb 19, 2008